Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 05:51 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,245,661 times

Advertisements

Interested in knowing "How You Doing??", I would really like to know which job seeking poster's have found jobs in the oil patch, or oil related jobs. An update, and some sharing of your moving, living, working experiences would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2011, 12:34 PM

60 posts, read 156,925 times
I went out to Minot for a job search Nov 13-18. I attended a Baker Hughes job fair at the JobND offices on 17 Nov but they never got to my name on the list before they closed. The next day I went to nameless company based on the recommendation of the JobND Vet rep (I am USN retired). They interviewed me on the spot and gave me a job offer.

I returned home for Thanksgiving as they said it would be 2-3 weeks before they could give me a start date. I have called and confirmed my background and MVR checks were complete. The HR woman said I should return on 19 Dec for drug test and physical agility test. Then 2-3 days before I start.

I emailed a retired Air Force contact who had posted elsewhere on the net and asked him about his job search. He had also accepted a job at this nameless company, had done his screenings and had even been given his hard hat. The day before he was supposed to start he was told that they did not have enough people to conduct training. He was on site and eager to start, but has now begun to look elsewhere.

Discouraging news for me but I have a interview for a job locally next week. As a man of faith I believe this may have happened for a reason.

I will contact this company next week and confirm all details. I would rather wait a few weeks or even months to make sure I have job before going back.

Rick

Old 12-10-2011, 03:29 PM

58 posts, read 139,278 times
JanND, thank you for starting this thread. I am also interested in updates. My time up there did not go very well. I am sick of hearing "apply online" anyone else agree? The lack of housing made me cross some areas off my list. You will have to find a job that offers housing in many areas up there. I will continue to apply online and follow up with phone calls. I really thought I had a great looking resume but now I am wondering if I should change it. Has anyone thought of contacting a head hunter? I do not have a CDL nor oil filed exp. so perhaps a head hunter may be the way to go?? I have over 20 years as a chef, Military and management skills. I have applied as a cook at several man camps and have not heard anything! Insight or thoughts anyone? Looking forward to hearing updates on here.

Old 12-10-2011, 03:41 PM

101 posts, read 219,193 times
Well I keep applying on line...must be close to a hundred jobs now. have handed 60 resumes into someones hand...talked to 40 people face to face. interviewed about 10 times.

I see one company rejected my application...Applied for Project Superitendent with Marathon...knerw that was going to happen.

The big companies all seem to be inadated with applicants. It takes them a while to wade thru I'm sure.

A couple smaller companies let you walk in the door and see someone.

A couple have said they want me...."But where?" they want my experiance, I quess the question is how to use me, the guy with no oil field experiance. I really don't want a fgixed office job with very limited overtime, if any.

I still haven't found the enrty level floorhand opening...the one at $25+ an hour and 80 to 120 hrs of week per week....Likely we are too late the party for that job...

Now I have to decide what to do, I'm still applying....what I know is going to happen is I'm going to get a couple offers this week at $18 to $20 an hour 50 to 60 hrs a week and no housing....outside of Williston.

Plan is to head back to Williston on Monday , I interview at one place but the job is salaried and pay is upto 70K they better have housing, like for the whole family....great benis though...state job.

Just don't see the 100K opprotunities as has been advertised.

Old 12-10-2011, 10:14 PM

941 posts, read 1,916,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by talldarkone View Post
Likely we are too late the party for that job...

Is so true. Is like in a sec it all just went haywire. Only a few months ago I was under impression it would be easy to get a job immediately, then told with cdl permit forsures, now a cdl even is giving people problems. Ayyy, sounding like hype is dying. Still think once someone gets the job will be awesome experience, but for now the risk at least for us, is not really worth going too long without income. My husband is gonna get full cdl now he only has permit, and may then try once has it. Or go another route with it. Hope for everyone here it all starts turning in thier favor.

Old 12-10-2011, 11:01 PM

19 posts, read 101,994 times
For those without experience, how about the courses at WSC? I see they have a floorhand training course, and from what i hear, the companies hire graduates almost immediately. Anyone can verify?

Old 12-10-2011, 11:28 PM

15,948 posts, read 12,309,285 times
well 20 bucks an hour times 100 hours a week times 52 weeks is $93600, this assumes 3 weeks on, one week off, and this would be more if they paid you straight time on your week off, as some claim occurs.

Everything over 40 hours is 1.5X per federal law. Adding in 40 hours paid straight time on the week off would put you over 100k.

Old 12-11-2011, 08:15 AM

941 posts, read 1,916,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
well 20 bucks an hour times 100 hours a week times 52 weeks is $93600, this assumes 3 weeks on, one week off, and this would be more if they paid you straight time on your week off, as some claim occurs.

Everything over 40 hours is 1.5X per federal law. Adding in 40 hours paid straight time on the week off would put you over 100k.
That sounds great. But how does one find this now?

Last edited by laina1980; 12-11-2011 at 08:33 AM..

Old 12-11-2011, 09:14 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,245,661 times
Awesome updates. Keep em coming. Sorry that things haven't panned out yet for some folks. Hopefully we'll get some updates, w/ insights from folks that I have seen get jobs recently. I did see a post awhile back, one man was persistant, to the point of re-visiting the same company offices several times a week. He said they finally got him in, if for no other reason than he kept showing up. Here is a trus story from my history. My hubby, who grew up in N.D. was out of work for several mths, following the bust after 80's boom. He got a call in middle of night, and wasn't going to go. Well, I had a few choice words for that situation, w/ 4 small kids to feed. I said be the one that does show up at 5 amwhen you get a 4am last minute call. He did call back, he did go.....He worked himself up thru the same co. and is now running and has been for many yrs mgr for one of the national co. there in Williston, w/ nearly 30 yrs w/ them. So, be the one that shows up. Be persistant. w/ that said, no one can afford to hang out in the cold w/ family elsewhere. Here is what I learned about North Dakotans living here for 30+ yrs. Call weekly, follow up on your resume, your app. Start w/ a bit of small talk, commiserate w/ how tough the job is, no matter who you talk too. Make sure someone there has your name at there fingertips. I do believe that there will be more jobs in the next few mths. Many folks will leave due to the weather, There is more housing/building planned for next spring/summer. I guess what I am saying to those of you that are a bit discouraged....hold out, work on your cdl's, or any training you think would help. Another tip I have seen on here, some w/ lots of transferable skills, emphasize manual labor experience. If you are going for a mgt, emphasize your mgt skills. And, lastly...I did see posts recently that said some of the hiring slowed down to catch-up the amt. of experienced vs. non-experienced #'s on the job sites. Makes sense. Sorry, didn't mean to get so long winded. Hope others write some constructive tips that are working in the fields.

Old 12-11-2011, 10:01 AM

15,948 posts, read 12,309,285 times
that's how I got into where I'm at here in town... just kept calling again and again and again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota