Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 07:52 AM

325 posts, read 1,548,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnodak View Post
It is a free country and you have a right to your opinion. I am glad you are able to return to some thing you are more comfortable in. I am sorry you have missed what North Dakota has to offer. Each state has some thing different if we let our selves experience it. The closeness to nature and the people are pretty special but then I grew up there and did not appreciate it until I left. I do not plan on returning but I still carry the good things in my heart. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.
I totally agree.. Beauty is truely in the eye of the beerholder....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2007, 12:31 PM

573 posts, read 1,451,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorkborn&raised View Post
irvm,
It sounds like you are confusing "Upstate" with "NYC". Go back and read my posts, I am going back to Upstate NY...not the city.
Ah, then their is good and bad things in every state so why bad mouth all of North Dakota from one perspective????

Old 10-22-2007, 12:47 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,436,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorkborn&raised View Post
The simple fact is ND will never evade the shadow of mediocre it has linguring over it's name, no matter how "snobbish" you may think outsiders are for giving you this no bull**** assessment.
Sorry you didn't like it up in our area. At least you get to go back home soon. We're just all different and prefer to live in different areas of the country. Good luck to you in the future.

Old 10-22-2007, 04:46 PM

133 posts, read 498,238 times
Minot was pretty cool when I was out there last July. I pretty much base my perceptions off of the Red River Valley. True, it is not fair to develop such a negative feeling about a whole state when I have lived in a small part of it. I like the rolling hills of western ND and SD is alright. Here in Grand Forks however, the people seem to be more "standoffish" to outsiders. If you did not grow up here you basically will not be fully accepted as part of the community. I am a friendly guy and makes friends easily, but for some reason here it's different. I also get the impression that Eastern North Dakotans are behind the curve when it comes to race relations. My wife is Asian and when we first moved here we would walk around holding hands and I remember almost every one staring. This is especially true when we would go to bars or social settings. I have a very low tolerance for racism and it seems to be under the surface here. May not be true, but this is just my interpretation.

Old 10-23-2007, 11:02 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,436,311 times
They probably were just taking a second look because the Dakotas are predominantly Caucasion and Sioux. Not a racist comment~just a fact. You were just a different couple then they were used to and I doubt that they meant to be hurtful.

Old 10-24-2007, 10:06 AM

1,016 posts, read 3,035,574 times
The Red River Valley is to North Dakota what NYC is to New York.

Old 10-24-2007, 06:44 PM

431 posts, read 1,605,644 times
Don't forget cow tipping, buring hay bales, chasing racoons. Just kidding. What ever you can do in your city, you can do here. You just have to be open minded and look for the activities. EVen here in Minot, there is something going on almost every night. Open your eyes. ct

Old 10-25-2007, 09:34 PM

133 posts, read 498,238 times
Drinking beer, listening to country music, mud bogging, attending Norskhost Fest...stop it already I'm getting jealous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magiccity View Post
Don't forget cow tipping, buring hay bales, chasing racoons. Just kidding. What ever you can do in your city, you can do here. You just have to be open minded and look for the activities. EVen here in Minot, there is something going on almost every night. Open your eyes. ct

Old 10-26-2007, 04:59 PM

38 posts, read 187,893 times
maybe we should be discussing Chaucer or some other topic that cultured folks enjoy. I had a high horse once too but I shot it when I was drunk. Which by the way is always, fyi.

Old 11-01-2007, 09:41 PM

7 posts, read 26,742 times
What to do in North Dakota? I live in a scenic part of Minnesota near the Twin Cities, and my husband and son drive six hours to go hunting in North Dakota nearly every weekend in the fall. If we lived closer (or out there) I would be horse back riding every weekend and after work near Ft. Ransom -- where I live, now, I can't ride horse out of the yard because of all the traffic. My ND'n uncle is a bicyclist who trains in North Dakota in the summer and Arizona in the winter. My other ND relatives have pilot's licenses and go everywhere.
There are only two downsides to North Dakota for me. One is the wind -- I do get tired of it, although I love the prairie. The other is the distance to a major airport. Where I live now, it takes less than an hour to get to the Minneapolis airport, and then I'm out of here. But as I don't travel as much as I used to, North Dakota's looking better all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota