Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 09:48 PM

751 posts, read 1,177,898 times

Advertisements

I do not mean to offend anybody, but what people do for fun in North Dakota? I have travelled to many states in this country and ND is by far the boringest. Everytime I go to Fargo, I just never seem to find anything fun to do, you can drive downtown, go to the West Acres Mall and that's it! Usually, you can do the entire town in half a day, I wonder what people do for fun in places like Minot, Bismarck, Grand Forks, or even Fargo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2007, 03:53 AM

394 posts, read 1,169,187 times
So tell me what is there to do in Eagan that you can't do in Fargo? Please be specific.

Old 10-02-2007, 05:01 AM

1,928 posts, read 5,164,996 times
No offense to the thread opener, but I've heard this argument made about any rural state without a big city. I live in the Chicago suburbs, but plan on moving to North Dakota in the next couple of years - probably to either the Minot or Williston area, along the Route 2 corridor. I have been to North Dakota several times this year already looking for land to build a house on and will likely go there again before the snow flies.

People where I work particularly ask this. My comeback to this is "what is there to do anywhere"? I'm only 35 miles from Chicago, but haven't been in Chicago for over 2 years. I've seen everything there I want to. Most all my friends live in the suburbs. Whenever I think about going to Chicago, I just think about the traffic jams that I'll have to deal with. That's enough for me. Getting around the whole Chicago area whether on local roads, the expressways or tollways is just such a PITA. I miss the days when I used to live on a farm - but that's another story.

Old 10-02-2007, 07:35 AM

325 posts, read 1,548,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbay View Post
So tell me what is there to do in Eagan that you can't do in Fargo? Please be specific.
Good Point! I lived in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area for 31 years before moving to CA, but will be moving back to ND next summer.

Also, like living near Chicago, who wants to deal with the traffic of going down town. Professional sporting events are very expensive, seen best on TV most of the time. Not sure what the poster ment by nothing to do. There are a million things to do in ND, unless you just like to sit on your arse.
Winter:
Hockey, curling, down-hill/cross country skiing, snowmobiling, skating, ice fishing, watching local high school sporting events, bowling, etc...
And sometimes just sitting down and picking up a good book to read.

Summer: Fishing!, boating, bird watching, biking (many trails), going to car races, swimming, etc.. the kind of things you can do anywhere pretty much in the midwest.

I don't miss the rat race of the big city. I suppose for younger people, the big city is where its at. I thought that too about 40 years ago..

Old 10-02-2007, 09:02 AM

8 posts, read 49,926 times
Default There is things to do!

I'm a young person and I always stay busy. I love it here. I work 40 hours a week, so that is basically what I do all week. I have choices of what to do on the weekends. We can go see a movie at the local theater, go bowling, eat out, usually there is a band every week or karoake at the local bars, go shopping, or go to highschool or college events. There are theater productions, our town gets in bands and has them perform at the auditorium, there are seasonal events like the fair or Octoberfest, go for a nice walk, go hiking, ride bike, fourwheeling, snowmobiling, jetskiing, skiing, tubing, and so on. There is always something to do.

Old 10-02-2007, 10:12 AM

1,016 posts, read 3,035,447 times
There's plenty to do in North Dakota, but like anywhere it's not going to jump out and grab you by the neck. The same thing you expressed about Fargo is the way I feel about Minneapolis/St. Paul; unless I'm there for a concert or something, a trip there basically consists of looking for something to eat and avoiding the Mall of America. I think you have to be somewhere for a little while before you start finding things to do. Fargo has a lot of things going on; most of which I don't have time to enjoy. For arts, there's the F/M Symphony, college symphonies, bands, and choirs; several local theaters; and several venues for original local music and some national acts. There are plenty of sporting events between three colleges. There are enough bars of various types to destroy your liver 10 times over. For outdoorsy stuff, there's loads of hunting, fishing, cycling, etc.

I grew up on a farm in rural ND--that was a bit different. Aside from work, we basically made our own fun. Fixing up an old snowmobile and beating the heck out of it (and pulling each other behind them on old wooden knee-killer skis) was pretty fun in the winter. In the summer, I'd shoot gophers, just go walk somewhere, ride the 3-wheeler in the gravel pit, or find something else to do. When I was a kid, I built BMX tracks and ramps to jump. In High School, I had to drive 40 miles to see a movie, and I saw more movies back then than I do now when there's a number of theaters within a 20-minute drive.

I don't think it really matters where you are, there is plenty to do; you just have to decide to do something.

Old 10-08-2007, 12:34 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,244,142 times
Fargo isn't really built to be a tourist trap. If you live here you have the lakes, concerts, NDSU athletics, bars, redhawks(minor league baseball), USHL Hockey(coming in 2008), shopping, movies, golf, parks, etc.

Old 10-08-2007, 12:05 PM

246 posts, read 1,006,804 times
There are things to do, you just need to look to find them basically. One thing I really enjoy is the whole Rib Fest thing. Big into ribs, so I am hooked

Old 10-08-2007, 07:05 PM

8 posts, read 49,803 times
Let's see, there is the amazing Missouri River, and all of that summer fun, pontooning, parking on the sand bars, playing croshoes, norweigen golf, and grilling out sipping on some cold beverages. Winter is cross country skiing, snowmobiling. social things like darts, pool bowling and winter card parties. There are many social gatherings like classic car clubs ect. There is an awesome zoo, and theaters, a symphany, hunting, fishing, and alot of nature to be enjoyed.

Old 10-09-2007, 09:51 AM

1 posts, read 29,662 times
Along with all the outdoor activities listed and sporting events , I'd like to add that the bigger towns/cities always have something happening . Such as Minot this week is having the NorskHostefest . Even is your not a Norwegion this is an awesome event that goes on for days . Churches in Minot and I'm sure the bigger cities too have neat things to offer . Like Power Team Wrestler , The Living Christmas Tree Concert , Concerts for Youths etc.etc .
If you are into hunting we have a wide varity of game and foul . Go get yourself a Mountain Lion License and see what you can bag ... just don't shot mine I kinda like it passing through occassionaly . Right now Moose Season is open .

The best part though is simply getting to know your neighbors , walking into a restraunt and seeing people you know that are all visiting with one another over a meal or a cup of coffee .
As someone else stated there are things to do if you look . Another thing that is fun to do ( at least for me ) is sometimes just go to auction sales . Livestock auctions are intriguing also . But that might be just me who finds that entertaining ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota