Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 07:46 AM

37 posts, read 110,266 times

Advertisements

Well not having lived in North Dakota yet, but planning on going out there in April or May. I know we are moving out there because God called us out there to minister to the people. I am a pastor. But concerning jobs, all you have to do is go on the websites for ND and you will see many jobs. We are moving to Dickinson and there are tons of jobs available. Especially with the boom of oil lately which will generate hundreds of jobs in the next few years. I think probably the people did not mention the jobs because they don't look at that aspect as the main reason to choose to live in ND. Jobs are wonderful but if the quality of living is substandard, your life could be miserable though you have a good job and are making money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2008, 12:48 PM

17,998 posts, read 9,079,444 times
Thank You For All Your Input! I Will Rally This Info In My Database!

Old 03-03-2008, 02:07 PM

489 posts, read 1,916,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
10 More reasons:
5) Looking for a place where Wal Mart is not the be-all and end-all of the shopping experience;
6) Looking for a place where people are friendly but respect your privacy - and your right to do things your own way as long as you harm no one else;
7) Looking for a place where vicious gossip is not the sole entertainment
I hate to be a party pooper for this poster. ND is over saturated with the Wal Mart Corp. Even little Bottineau, with a population of just over 2100, is getting a Wal Mart Supercenter. Bismarck has two, Fargo has one with a second always in the works, Grand Forks, Minot, Dickinson, Williston, Wahpeton, Jamestown, & Devils Lake. That is every large market in ND, including numerous small communities. You basically can't get to a shopping destination in ND without running into one.

Yes, the people are friendly, however the lack of privacy was too much. I used to say that I would find things out about myself from other people before I knew about it myself. The points, numbers 6 & 7, basically go together, since it's the gossip that takes your privacy away. Now I'm not hating on ND, I just had to throw my two cents in when I read her post

Old 03-03-2008, 04:41 PM

240 posts, read 1,424,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
I have read the long list of reasons and agree .

However, I found it quite surprising that not a single one mentioned JOBS.

I guess I kinda thought "a job" is of utmost importance unless a person is retired or filthy rich.

Yet after reading the long list, I didn't see anyone mention availability of a job.
I can't answer for anyone else, only myself. My job is portable, so I can take my job with me. Therefore, obtaining a job in North Dakota was not a factor in making my decision. I am not yet retired and definitely not filthy rich. However, I welcome having a lot of money and will be able to accomplish more financially and have more money for retirement by relocating.

Old 03-03-2008, 09:12 PM

180 posts, read 635,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreaOC View Post
Bismarck has two
I die a little inside every time I hear / am made awares of that.

Thanks.

At least its reported that they aren't doing very well!

Old 03-03-2008, 09:42 PM

489 posts, read 1,916,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebitdadada View Post

Thanks.

Really? I've always been under the impression from news reports and the like that they do very well, unfortunately. The store located on hwy 83 was reported as being one of the largest in the entire company, and the store that was on Washington was one of the most profitable in the company. Unfortunately neither of them are going anywhere. I've always been a Target fan myself, I was disappointed I never got to shop the new one

Old 03-04-2008, 02:12 AM

108 posts, read 440,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebitdadada View Post

Thanks.

I don't know about the one up north but I don't know how the one down south isn't doing well. I shop there a lot and the lines are always full and even when I am just driving by the lot is full, I think its the wal-mart haters trying to perpetuate some myth.

Old 03-05-2008, 01:45 PM

90 posts, read 320,046 times
I've always looked at Walmart as being as good as it is bad. Sure it can put some "mom and pops" out of business (and that is a real shame), but for a family on a budget there is no better place to shop. Also, they do bring a large number of jobs into areas that sorely need them.

Old 03-05-2008, 02:06 PM

22 posts, read 45,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
I have read the long list of reasons and agree .

However, I found it quite surprising that not a single one mentioned JOBS.

I guess I kinda thought "a job" is of utmost importance unless a person is retired or filthy rich.

Yet after reading the long list, I didn't see anyone mention availability of a job.
Well, there are jobs there, just like anywhere else. I thinkhtat is just a given and not taken as a reason to move there.

It is a very nice, mayberry rfd type of area still left in the world. Sometimes we all need that.

Old 03-05-2008, 02:16 PM

73,116 posts, read 62,763,156 times
One reason to move to ND is to be safe. That is what I can think of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota