Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 09:39 AM

5 posts, read 34,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine Joan View Post
Here are ten reasons why I am planning a move to North Dakota:

1. North Dakota has affordable single-family housing available;
2. North Dakota has beautiful natural scenery in its wide open plains, its many lakes and rivers, and wooded parks near Canada;
3. There are very few and oftentimes no traffic jams;
4. The communities appear to be well maintained without being overly intrusive;
5. There doesn't appear to be any concrete jungles there, like there are here in California and many other states;
6. The state controls its budget without incurring large deficits or charging its residents high taxes;
7. The public schools are well run and safe
8. Most of the people there share a high moral standard and work ethic;
9. From what I have observed from reading stories in the local papers, many people there still take the time to get to know and help out their neighbors; and
10. I look forward to enjoying a slower pace of life where I can work in my garden.
Oh my gosh, I am so SOLD on North Dakota now....how beautiful!!!! Now, if you could just say a bit about Williston I would love it. Thats where we are planning on going.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 11:54 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,683,581 times
Well, just cause folks shop there does not mean it is the only shopping experience... that's what I meant.

Plus I plan on moving to a small small town... as far out in the country as possible. I am a WalMart hater (also a past manager- hence the hate - I know it from the inside!) and I know how seductive the prices are. But I also am very aware of the type of quality they offer (poor), particularly in the food areas. Here, going to Wal Mart is a daily way of life for many. I just can't see it.

Old 03-06-2008, 01:35 PM

50 posts, read 220,544 times
Default A place in the world.

ND still affords me and people like me the opportunity to become homeowners, in what seems like a fabulous place to raise one's family. Without the gangs. Without the crime. With love for one's Creator. And most of all, the ability to breathe (both figuratively and literally).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
Well, just cause folks shop there does not mean it is the only shopping experience... that's what I meant.

Plus I plan on moving to a small small town... as far out in the country as possible. I am a WalMart hater (also a past manager- hence the hate - I know it from the inside!) and I know how seductive the prices are. But I also am very aware of the type of quality they offer (poor), particularly in the food areas. Here, going to Wal Mart is a daily way of life for many. I just can't see it.

Now on to the Wal-Mart issue; perhaps you can't see it because you can afford to shop at 'regular' department stores rather than discount stores. I (and a huge percentage of regular folks) don't have that luxury. When I worked for a fortune 100 company, I could afford to shop at the bigger department stores, but since I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis 9 years ago, my income was slashed to the bone. I live just at the poverty level, and try to support my teen aged daughter and myself on that. Discount stores are an absolute necessity for me and a great many other folks who live on a very low, fixed income.

Frankly, I'm offended by the very idea that simply because something doesn't apply to everyone might mean that it shouldn't apply to anyone. Wal-Mart allows many of us the ability to believe in some semblance of normalcy.

Those who choose to shop there should not be made to feel as though they are un-American or crappy for doing so.

Old 03-06-2008, 06:40 PM

489 posts, read 1,914,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StartingOverAgain View Post
Those who choose to shop there should not be made to feel as though they are un-American or crappy for doing so.
I don't think she meant that by her post. I don't like Wal Mart, but I live on shopping at Target. It's not that I have to shop at those places, but why wouldn't you? They have everything you need and have great prices. Anybody at any financial level should be able to appreciate that! I even like Big Lots LOL (even though there's only one left in ND). Having a broad assortment of retail choices and having the freedom to shop at whichever one you want is as American as you can get

Old 03-06-2008, 07:14 PM

108 posts, read 439,498 times
Well then I can say I am a target hater so why don't you peoiple shop somewhere else. Let people shop where they want and quit being so judgemental. Target corp. refused to let the Marines setup their toys for tots program there, becuase they said it didn't represent thier corprate values, so I guess that makes them far more evil that Wal-mart.

Old 03-06-2008, 08:51 PM

4 posts, read 14,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boelyngirl View Post
Oh my gosh, I am so SOLD on North Dakota now....how beautiful!!!! Now, if you could just say a bit about Williston I would love it. Thats where we are planning on going.

When you do move there I would love a follow up...I am too planning on moving there in the next year or so. I am looking for anywhere in or around the Grand Forks area. Where will you be moving from?
Good luck to you. !!!

Old 03-07-2008, 03:06 PM

489 posts, read 1,914,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bismanpokerclub View Post
Well then I can say I am a target hater so why don't you peoiple shop somewhere else. Let people shop where they want and quit being so judgemental. Target corp. refused to let the Marines setup their toys for tots program there, becuase they said it didn't represent thier corprate values, so I guess that makes them far more evil that Wal-mart.
I don't recall anybody being judgemental. I claimed that I shop Target over Wal Mart, but then made the comment "why wouldn't you shop at those places?" as in Target, Wal Mart, K Mart, etc... It's all discount store shopping, just in different stores. I don't think anyone was passing judgement regarding someone being better than or less than them for shopping at one over the other.

Old 03-08-2008, 05:41 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,683,581 times
Sigh. I never said you shouldn't shop at WalMart. I was simply answering the question, "Why move to North Dakota?" with my reasons.
As for WalMart being cheaper - have you really done comparison shopping or are you talking overall total from your receipts? Because I can tell you flat outright that while some advertised and non-advertised "specials" at WalMart may be cheaper, you can actually find much better and cheaper store brands as well as name-brand items at other stores. Pet supplies at regular prices are cheaper at PetCo and PetSmart. Variety is better at many stores - and much of the variety is cheaper than those that are in WalMart.

Now if you want to talk quality - especially food - WalMart is at the bottom of the totem pole. I'm not talking about name brands here - although many grocery stores carry name brands for less than WalMart - I'm talking about meats, cheeses, milk, eggs, etc - basic foodstuffs that are bought in massive bulk, shipped in massive bulk, and with many failures of careful packaging and shipping along the way. Much of their seafood is the China seafood - and if you don't know about how that seafood is raised, the research is online. Their fruits and vegetables are not locally grown and are shipped in from countries with no or minimal restrictions on fertilizers, pesticides, or herbicides as we have here in America. I'm not into buying poison to eat, no matter what it costs - I prefer locally grown meats and vegies.

The imported clothing is poorly made and doesn't last as long as American made or locally made clothing. The weaves are not washer-resistant, the colors not fade-resistant - yes, they will be cheaper at the checkout but will not last as long as other,higher quality wear, and therefore will have to be replaced more often - costing you over the long run much more money. The same goes for their outdoor furniture, their lawnmowers,
their electronics - if you like buying these items every year, hey, good on you, but I can't afford it. You see, I don't just see what it costs me paycheck to paycheck, but what it costs me overall yearly to replace and rebuy the same items over and over. Um... I buy my underwear at Victoria's Secret. High priced? Well, um, not on sale - and it lasts for five years or more, not to mention the little known replacement guarantees on bras.

Old 03-08-2008, 08:38 AM

50 posts, read 220,544 times
SCGranny, I am not going to engage with you. As you are allowed to post your opinions, so am I. Have a good day.

Old 03-08-2008, 01:00 PM

573 posts, read 1,451,434 times
Please stop with the Walmart, Target, etc. I thought this post was about moving to ND. These stores and the like are just about everwhere. Let us just focus on trying to help this person out. Having said that, I grew up in North Dakota and I will say that all the things people are saying are true. It is kind of like a place time forgot. It all depends on what you want. Personally, it does not have enough cultural diversity and the weather can be very cold in the winter----winter is longgggggggggggggggg. Summer is hot and humid with lots of little flying insects that like to suck your blood. Please do not also forget about tornados or floods. Those to me are the cons. Knowing all of that makes you better prepared. Lets face it, no place is perfect. I wish you well on your move and hope you enjoy your time in North Dakota. I do not live there anymore. I live in Seattle area. I do not plan on retiring here and I probably will not return to North Dakota but it is still in my heart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota