Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 10:41 PM

37 posts, read 153,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnodak View Post
I think I said if I were gay I would not live here. However, not for all the reasons you have stated. I think your take on the above is slightly true but way over board. I also think if you feel so negative about the town and the people and are harrassed so much, then you should leave.
how is it overboard? it's all true, and if you don't experience it and it doesn't frustrate the hell out of you then i consider you lucky. maybe you are older than i am, or you are a different kind of person, and you haven't experienced what it's like to grow up with THIS generation in THIS town and not be perfect, straight, and athletic. the younger crowd is a little different these days, at least those that tend to congregate in fargo.

as for leaving town, i'm way ahead of you. i was born in columbus, oh; raised in grand rapids, mi, spent my teens in dreadful fargo, "ran away" to portland OR, worked extensively in the twin cities while living mostly in fargo, and in july i'm moving to minneapolis permanently to return to school full time. i've been around, i'm sorry if you didn't want to hear such negativity about poor little fargo but it really needs to get with the times.

Old 04-09-2008, 09:48 AM

13 posts, read 89,331 times
Heh, I think that I was just on auto-pilot with the parallelism - one of the bad habits of an English major - and I DO know that there are no incredibly large cities there . I live in the OC now, but I hate it so much (you may be more cosmopolitan than I, though). Yes, I guess if you pass well then it doesn't matter much. Plus, I would guess that, while people in ND might be less accepting during the awkward stage, they might be far less suspicious in noticing any small "defect" once the transition is over. I postulate that because they may not have ever known a transitioner on any other level than bad talk-shows.

Actually, the small town I spent ages 14-21 in was not particularly accepting, though there were more than a few people that were. I think that it was more awkward there because I had been Prom King and an all-sport athlete, and this was...unexpected. I guess that some bias is going to be the case anywhere, at least for the next 10 or 20 years. Maybe by then we will reach the live-and-let-live standards that are prevalent in much of Europe.

I guess I'll be learning first-hand though.

Old 04-10-2008, 11:50 AM

81 posts, read 295,650 times
My question to the OP would be why are you drawn to North Dakota in the first place?
I grew up in central MN, which won't be too different from ND. I wouldn't really recommend choosing to life there. If thats where you need to go, by all means but if you have a choice, go else where. While the people are friendly, there are really only friendly and accepting if you're the same as they are. Its what they are used to and most people really don't like being taken out of their comfort zone. Whether its religious or more base, morally, wrong to them to be homosexual, that feeling is very pervasive in the Upper Midwest. Portions of the younger generations are getting better, no doubt, I see it with my friends. BUT there are still the kids, young adults out there who would just assuming mess with you as leave you alone, even if you are minding your own business." Its a slow place of life and and not a lot is expected out of kids, doing good in school is made fun of, moving off to college or a city is seen as excessive. Its a simple is as simple does culture. It has its pluses but I'd really look long and hard. A 3 day fun filled pride fest DOES NOT change the facts of the area. I go home and love going home but living there again........not a chance.

Old 04-13-2008, 03:09 PM

947 posts, read 3,571,475 times
I think that if you keep your private life private, respect your neighbors, gert your job done and have a good attitude, people wo't gay if youre gay, bi or whatever.

USUALLY (but not always) the only time there's an issue with sexuality is if two people of the same sex are holding hands, frenching and wearing a shirt that screams "IM GAY". My point is, don't push it in peoples faces and you'll be fine.

Old 04-13-2008, 08:03 PM

13 posts, read 89,331 times
Default Possible Double Standard?

See, I understand the concept of private life remaining private, but where is the line between "keeping it private" and "making it a secret"? Sure, public makeout sessions are distasteful for anyone, but why is holding hands "shoving it in people's faces"?? I mean when anyone from a newlywed couple to an elderly pair holds hands, I had always thought that was just a good, wholesome, acceptable thing to do in private or public. Also, while I don't think that wearing a shirt saying "I'm gay!" is helpful (because it simply makes ones sexual orientation or gender identity or whatever the primary issue rather than trying to make it a non-issue), if someone wears some sort of macho t-shirt implying their straightness or obsession with men or women (depending on perspective), isn't that equally in your face?

Moreover, if two gay men (and I am not gay, this is more a postulate and something I have seen where I live/lived) are walking into a hardware store or clothing store and are acting in such a way that it makes their relationship obvious without actually holding hands or making out or anything, would that be problematic?

I just think that there may be an unconscious double standard implied in your comment, though I don't think that there is any malicious intent.

Just wondering...

Old 03-04-2009, 01:30 PM

1 posts, read 3,184 times
There is not much to do in North Dakota. It is actually a pretty boring place. There does seem to be a lot of drama where ever you go at times at well. I live in a city and these people dont accept gays, so sometimes you do get judged for who you are, unless they know your family and are good friends with them, that may change things. There seems to be a lot of confused bisexuals who dont know if they are straight or gay. I say, you come and experience North Dakota for yourself, since everyone treats everyone different, so what some people say may differ from what you would actually encounter. But thats just my opinion.

Old 03-05-2009, 08:26 PM

123 posts, read 747,519 times
This thread is sad. Are there no more God fearing areas in our nation anymore?

A three day deviant festival in NORTH DAKOTA! What is wrong with this country? The inmates are running the asylum. ( or in this case, the perverts ) .

Old 03-05-2009, 08:37 PM

162 posts, read 657,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulsterscot View Post
This thread is sad. Are there no more God fearing areas in our nation anymore?

A three day deviant festival in NORTH DAKOTA! What is wrong with this country? The inmates are running the asylum. ( or in this case, the perverts ) .
Give me a break! Thump your Bible in your church, this country doesn't revolve around your religion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota