Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 04:50 PM

1,248 posts, read 4,060,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by acfreema View Post
If you don't have a well-paying position waiting for you, stay away. The only way to get better than $30k/year (without working construction) is through connections. This is just about the most passive-aggressive place in the country (world?), which means you are doomed if you don't have the right last name or know the right people.
I agree with that unfortunately. Seems like the media has overhyped North Dakota where this place with tons of jobs only exists in fantasy land.

And how do you get one of these jobs without experience or without SPECIFIC experience??

Anyone?

Anyone??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2011, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acfreema View Post
On the topic of job services, I have not had a pleasant experience at Preference Personnel. Twice I went there, and twice I was treated like it was elementary school again. They didn't help me find anything, once after getting an AAS degree, and again after getting a BA degree.

Overall, with the exception of the receptionist, everyone there came across as being very condescending.
It is like that at many staffing agencies especially when you are 'not from the area'. They treat you in a very rude manner (even if coming across as friendly it is just done as a fake smarmy facade) like you are trying to hide something and every question starts with 'Why did you' or 'How come you'

Old 10-16-2011, 05:23 PM

81 posts, read 202,913 times
You can easily make 70k and more without any experience at all. I didn't have any connections and got a job. Stop second guessing and come grab a job.

Old 10-16-2011, 06:02 PM

36 posts, read 102,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimka03 View Post
You can easily make 70k and more without any experience at all. I didn't have any connections and got a job. Stop second guessing and come grab a job.
Yeah dude, but in your own post you said that you've only been called out twice in the last two weeks until last night, correct?

Old 10-16-2011, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimka03 View Post
Yeah sure ---

A) Doing what exactly??

B) How exactly can you 'grab a job' without experience??

C) How do you explain it if you are unemployed (many employers & recruiters won't hire someone who is unemployed even if they don't say so)

D) And, of course explaining & explaining & explaining again why you moved (usually to some 20 something 'staffing consultant')

Any suggestions and actual advice or is it just rah rah cheerleading like from CNN??

Old 10-18-2011, 06:40 PM

581 posts, read 2,216,756 times
There are jobs all over the don't require experience. Job Service North Dakota or The Shopper, Inc. - Williston, ND - Classifieds, Help Wanted, Real Estate and More!. The jobs to grab are being "grabbed" daily by people with a good attitude and no experience. Many small companies up here don't care so much about your work history as much as they do your criminal history. We understand that it's been tough in other parts of the country so we are much more forgiving than many think.

Old 10-18-2011, 06:41 PM

581 posts, read 2,216,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickL28 View Post
It is like that at many staffing agencies especially when you are 'not from the area'. They treat you in a very rude manner (even if coming across as friendly it is just done as a fake smarmy facade) like you are trying to hide something and every question starts with 'Why did you' or 'How come you'
Skip the staffing agencies. Jobs on every corner. Who needs a staffing company...

Old 10-18-2011, 09:09 PM

98 posts, read 208,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kychlo View Post
There are jobs all over the don't require experience. Job Service North Dakota or The Shopper, Inc. - Williston, ND - Classifieds, Help Wanted, Real Estate and More!. The jobs to grab are being "grabbed" daily by people with a good attitude and no experience. Many small companies up here don't care so much about your work history as much as they do your criminal history. We understand that it's been tough in other parts of the country so we are much more forgiving than many think.
What's the deal with the "criminal history" thing? (Not an issue for me; I have a TWIC) Who do they expect to work rough oilfield jobs? Rhodes Scholars?

Old 10-19-2011, 08:17 AM

1,368 posts, read 3,223,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmx66 View Post
What's the deal with the "criminal history" thing? (Not an issue for me; I have a TWIC) Who do they expect to work rough oilfield jobs? Rhodes Scholars?
It's an image concern. The boom towns are still very small by US standards. The BIG CITY of Williston only has 30,000 residents once the man-camps are included. There isn't a lot of room for the roughnecks to blend in and many locals are rightly concerned about criminals moving in. Thefts are very common right now and I think it is not overblown as you used to be able to leave your car unlocked for 5 minutes and not have all your stuff stolen. Now, you must lock your car door and secure every tool box at all times. Hopefully, the common everyday crime does not escalate beyond this level.

Old 10-19-2011, 09:00 AM

2,609 posts, read 4,365,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingcat2k View Post
It's an image concern. The boom towns are still very small by US standards. The BIG CITY of Williston only has 30,000 residents once the man-camps are included. There isn't a lot of room for the roughnecks to blend in and many locals are rightly concerned about criminals moving in. Thefts are very common right now and I think it is not overblown as you used to be able to leave your car unlocked for 5 minutes and not have all your stuff stolen. Now, you must lock your car door and secure every tool box at all times. Hopefully, the common everyday crime does not escalate beyond this level.
Not only that, but if you're applying with an international company you may not always be working within the US. When my husband was first applying with Schlumberger years ago they called his references and asked if he had any sort of terrorist connections. Sounds ridiculous, BUT when you've got a company that works in the Middle East and in areas where terrorist activities are not uncommon... you are going to take those extra steps to ensure that your employees are top notch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota