Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 09:08 AM

2,609 posts, read 4,367,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickL28 View Post
Yeah sure ---

A) Doing what exactly??

B) How exactly can you 'grab a job' without experience??

C) How do you explain it if you are unemployed (many employers & recruiters won't hire someone who is unemployed even if they don't say so)

D) And, of course explaining & explaining & explaining again why you moved (usually to some 20 something 'staffing consultant')

Any suggestions and actual advice or is it just rah rah cheerleading like from CNN??
You're using the rules that are consistent with hiring for the rest of the country and not Williston.

I actually worked as a staffing manager here in Williston for several months, your generalizations regarding staffing agencies are NOT applicable to what's happening here.

I hired people CONSTANTLY with no experience to do all sorts of jobs. The pay range was $12-$15/hr (not great for up here). That being said, I had one guy who worked his heart out and his WEEKLY pay checkes were grossing over $1,000. (Sometimes closer to $2,000.)

My husband was working in customer service and sales when he got a job in the oil industry. He had ZERO experience in this kind of work. I hired a guy who used to work as an investment banker to work on a wireline crew.

If you're willing to work hard, you will find a job up here and you will make money. The majority of the people coming up here for work are unemployed, that's really not a major factor for most companies. What they care about is if you're OK working a ton of overtime and if you can physically handle the work.

I never asked anyone why they moved, and I've never been asked why I moved. I've never heard of anyone asking why anyone moved here... it's kind of obvious.

But if you had walked into my office when I worked as a staffing manager and gave me attitude because I was a "20 something", you can bet I wouldn't give you a job. If you can't bother being nice to me, what makes me thinkg you're going to be able to get along with a bunch of guys you're stuck with for 15 hours a day doing hard work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2011, 01:22 PM

98 posts, read 208,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
You're using the rules that are consistent with hiring for the rest of the country and not Williston.

I actually worked as a staffing manager here in Williston for several months, your generalizations regarding staffing agencies are NOT applicable to what's happening here.

I hired people CONSTANTLY with no experience to do all sorts of jobs. The pay range was $12-$15/hr (not great for up here). That being said, I had one guy who worked his heart out and his WEEKLY pay checkes were grossing over $1,000. (Sometimes closer to $2,000.)

My husband was working in customer service and sales when he got a job in the oil industry. He had ZERO experience in this kind of work. I hired a guy who used to work as an investment banker to work on a wireline crew.

If you're willing to work hard, you will find a job up here and you will make money. The majority of the people coming up here for work are unemployed, that's really not a major factor for most companies. What they care about is if you're OK working a ton of overtime and if you can physically handle the work.

I never asked anyone why they moved, and I've never been asked why I moved. I've never heard of anyone asking why anyone moved here... it's kind of obvious.

But if you had walked into my office when I worked as a staffing manager and gave me attitude because I was a "20 something", you can bet I wouldn't give you a job. If you can't bother being nice to me, what makes me thinkg you're going to be able to get along with a bunch of guys you're stuck with for 15 hours a day doing hard work?
Very well put!

Old 10-20-2011, 09:42 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,581,661 times
Why is a $12.00/$15.00 pay rate in Williston 'not great'?

Is that primarily due to the housing shortage and current cost of houing?

Old 10-20-2011, 09:44 PM

581 posts, read 2,217,390 times
$2000 2 bedroom apt. That's why $12-$15 isn't "good" money in western ND right now. You hit it on the head. Housing shortage makes good money....not so good. Hotel rooms are hinging on $200 per night.

Old 10-20-2011, 09:46 PM

1,248 posts, read 4,062,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmx66 View Post
What's the deal with the "criminal history" thing? (Not an issue for me; I have a TWIC) Who do they expect to work rough oilfield jobs? Rhodes Scholars?
Well with the requirements for many jobs (outside ND), you would think that they would need to check your credit as well

Old 10-20-2011, 10:58 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,581,661 times
Kychlo---Thanks.

Would I be correct in assuming that the housing shortage won't be cured for several years (3-5+)?

Old 10-21-2011, 09:38 PM

581 posts, read 2,217,390 times
3-5 would be a good estimate, I'd say. Williston had 2000 homes this year but with the influx of workers we're basically at even again.

Old 10-22-2011, 12:05 PM

98 posts, read 208,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickL28 View Post
Well with the requirements for many jobs (outside ND), you would think that they would need to check your credit as well
I'm just having a hard time with companies doing background checks (and credit checks if they are doing them) for jobs that are going to be sought primarily by:

1. People who can't get a job elsewhere
  2. People who aren't going to have "sterling backgrounds."
  3. People who will be leaving as soon as things get better elsewhere
It seems to be a short-term and expensive proposition for what is going "employee bust" within the next 3-5 years (when Baby Boomers start to retire). But then again, I can't tell people how to run their businesses.

Old 10-22-2011, 01:57 PM

1,368 posts, read 3,225,036 times
Default Small town

So a town of 15k is just supposed to accept whatever dregs of society float up from Southern CA which is well known for it's clean living and work ethic?!?

The energy sector is one of the few sectors in the country that pay well for people to work shift and possibly spend the majority of the time making small changes to a process (operators), installing mechanical equipment, working on electrical equipment or inspecting equipment. All of these positions do require some intelligence otherwise, a hazardous situation occurs and people can be maimed or killed. If I owned a business, I would want a clean and drug free work force that is capable of intelligent thought. The first laid off would be anyone who fights or does drugs in their off time. There is no excuse for that behavior out of anyone who is making 100k a year.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:59 PM

2 posts, read 6,150 times
What about DUI's and misdemeanor offenses, are those unacceptable? I don't have a perfect record, but I don't have drug and theft charges either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota