Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 04:00 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,234,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
You think everyone who gets help from Section 8 is like that?
They are not but one apt complex in Manassas was a pain in our you know what for years with several families there under section 8. In my 30 years with the PWCPD I saw this family grow and grow and stay there under section 8. Some of the kids were common thieves we caught all the time and drugs were a big thing. The grandmother started a fire and burned up her apt smoking in bed yet the manager HAD to provide her another apt under the rules governing section 8. This grandmother was a mom of some of the boys when I started in 79 and went on to be the grandmother while the kids all grew up and moved into section 8 there. I could go on and on but suffice to say I saw lots of abuse with this program.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2017, 05:42 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,967,960 times
Same thing at Brentwood Apartments in City of Manassas...intergenerational, welfare quite a few at GTS, and Bristoe Station had many residents, that were subhuman.

Old 07-13-2017, 07:50 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
Same thing at Brentwood Apartments in City of Manassas...intergenerational, welfare quite a few at GTS, and Bristoe Station had many residents, that were subhuman.
Bigfoot was being reasonable, but you are not. People who get help to live are not subhuman! There are rotten eggs, but most of them are good people just trying to make it in an tough world.

Old 07-13-2017, 08:24 AM

1,386 posts, read 998,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
You think everyone who gets help from Section 8 is like that?
When I first moved to FFX county, I rented a room in a TH in Oakton. Had a lot of other roommates, moving in and out. The ONE time we had a problem was when, for some reason, the landlord decided to rent a room to a guy who required some kind of assistance from the county--I think it was Section 8. The guy was a drunk. He moved in and immediately announced that he wasn't going to be paying his share of the utilities, which did not go over well with the other roommates. To say he found his time there difficult there was an understatement (all because he wanted to dodge $75 a month in utilities). He eventually called FFX's finest because he was being "harassed."

The landlord eventually evicted him, but the process was so onerous that the landlord booted everybody else out (all were by then on a month-to-month basis) and sold the TH. I will say the landlord was cool and made up the difference in utilities.

I'll never forget the guy. Larry. 6'4" tall, skinny as a rail, drank a case of beer a night. Didn't drive. Walked everywhere. No way can that guy still be alive.

--

Old 07-13-2017, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
A number were thieves/freeloaders and so on but many were were just having a tough life. Subhuman is out of line but not surprising coming from you.

Old 07-13-2017, 10:15 AM

It was law enforcement that used NHI....no humans involved. Do you think Officer Powell was at Sec 8 housing when he stated "it was like Gorillas in the Mist"?

Old 07-13-2017, 10:33 AM

What the hell are you talking about?

Old 07-13-2017, 10:45 AM

1,159 posts, read 1,288,748 times
Reported for racist content. Again.

Old 07-13-2017, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
What the hell are you talking about?
Don't you remember when Rodney King was injured while resisting arrest? One of the officers, had just been at a domestic disturbance and said it was like Gorillas in the Mist.

Old 07-13-2017, 02:11 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,551,890 times
A person comes on here looking for advice on how to help people who are in distress, and it turns into an insulting conversation peppered with socioeconomic and racial profiling comments that have nothing to do with the request from the person who started this thread. THIS is why I don't contribute much in this area anymore. Place has a CockRoach problem.

Sara790 - I am sorry that I am unable to offer any advice on what to do here, other than maybe checking out www.dchousing.org for some additional information. Your post makes me sad for those who you are asking help for. I'm a parent of a disabled child myself, and can understand the unrelenting and unforgiving financial hardship that it can cause. My heart and sympathy to those for whom you are trying to help, and I am sure I speak for many who would say thank you for doing so. I wish the world had more people as kind as you, it would make for a better place for all of us to share and enjoy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia