Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 11:10 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,234,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Of course not. I have lived in Section 8 housing (everyone who lived in those apartments had section 8). My current apartments are ADU (affordable). Every place I lived like those, most of the people were very good people. I like to think I am good too, but I leave that for others to decide. Why do a few bad people ruin it for the majority of good people who live in that situation.

As for roaches. The worst apartment we lived in was full of roaches. The landlord never did a thing about it. Those were NOT section 8 or otherwise subsidized apartments. None of the subsidized or section 8 properties we lived in had a roach problem.

I don't want to leave you with the impression that I thought all the people living in Sec 8 were bad folks as many were not. But it's a part of human nature that if you see a few bad apples in a bunch it makes you wonder if they are all bad. I dealt with people in these places who I had zero problems with and who treated me with respect. As far as the roaches. The manager in this one complex was doing her best but her hands were tied at times. She had off-duty officers working there numerous nights a week to try and make the place safer for the majority of people who lived there. The roaches in this one place just fit perfectly for this family and all the issues we had with them over the years. I would not be shocked if I drove there and found some family members living there still today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2017, 02:23 PM

3,109 posts, read 2,967,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Speaking of roaches......and I know what you're referring to. LOL. I went to a call in one apt complex back in the 90's where a domestic was taking place. This was one of the worst families abusing section 8 housing and the same lady who burned down her place smoking in bed. I had a prosecutor friend riding with me. We entered and immediately saw a little baby laying on a blanket on the floor. No big deal. But all of the sudden you noticed the movement around you. (at least in this dining room area) The walls all had roaches crawling on them, My friend walked out. After we settled things down (no arrests this time) I walked out and he was brushing at his clothes. He felt they were on him.

This is what management here was having to deal with and the inability to get rid of them. Now maybe the policies have changed since I retired but the abuses in the section 8 crowds were astounding at times. It really did make them all look bad although we knew they all were not the same.
That is quite a confession. The prosecutors riding with the police....

Old 07-14-2017, 02:54 PM

1,386 posts, read 998,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
Oh please. He was a friend. Give it a rest, Woodward and Bernstein....

--

Old 07-14-2017, 03:16 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,396,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kww View Post
extremely popular in NOVA it seems. Each rental I put up gets probably 50% of the inquiries asking if we'll take housing vouchers. On one hand, the money is pretty much guaranteed, but unfortunately, a lot of the bad apples have tainted the idea of the program for landlords.

And yes, good luck to the OP and their friends.
Oh wow. I didn't even know that. Is that in all of NoVa or just Prince William/Manassas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill790 View Post
Oh please. He was a friend. Give it a rest, Woodward and Bernstein....

--
This entire thread is all over the place, it's gone from racial, socioeconomical issues to the legendary Carl Bernstein and Bob Woodward, definitely wasn't expecting that.

Old 07-14-2017, 03:31 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,234,258 times
Quote:
G*D help us with you around.

Old 07-14-2017, 03:41 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
I don't want to leave you with the impression that I thought all the people living in Sec 8 were bad folks as many were not. But it's a part of human nature that if you see a few bad apples in a bunch it makes you wonder if they are all bad. I dealt with people in these places who I had zero problems with and who treated me with respect. As far as the roaches. The manager in this one complex was doing her best but her hands were tied at times. She had off-duty officers working there numerous nights a week to try and make the place safer for the majority of people who lived there. The roaches in this one place just fit perfectly for this family and all the issues we had with them over the years. I would not be shocked if I drove there and found some family members living there still today.
You, I understand. Mr Roach is the one I don't understand.

Old 07-14-2017, 05:36 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,891,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
Oh wow. I didn't even know that. Is that in all of NoVa or just Prince William/Manassas?

I've experienced an uptick in requests to use housing vouchers with my listings from Stafford to Fairfax County. I'm imagining that with the increase in overall rent prices, avail inventory at that voucher amount is tightening.

Old 07-15-2017, 04:30 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,967,960 times
The number of small time landlords is on the decline, and there have been huge increases in the number of SFH that are owned by REITs. Most purchased at bargain prices with the intention of renting them out and then eventually selling when and if taking the gain is better than the rent. Not one of them plans to keep rent low, and raising rent is a sure way to add value. The legal aspects alone make it difficult in many markets, as you run a risk of not being able to live in your own home, while someone else does for free...and you will be the one in trouble if you shut their water off our anything like that. Pro tenant laws push prices up for all, and rent controls create shortages. The first time homebuyers just aren't out there. You would be more likely to find a thirty year old playing Nintendo in his mother's basement than out house hunting. There is an entire generation out there, who will never buy. 70% of adults in the US do not have 1000 Dollars in savings. Public housing is a disaster. Healthy enough to breed them; healthy enough to feed them.

Old 07-15-2017, 06:49 AM

9,874 posts, read 14,112,458 times
Quote:
The number of small time landlords is on the decline, and there have been huge increases in the number of SFH that are owned by REITs. Most purchased at bargain prices with the intention of renting them out and then eventually selling when and if taking the gain is better than the rent. Not one of them plans to keep rent low, and raising rent is a sure way to add value. The legal aspects alone make it difficult in many markets, as you run a risk of not being able to live in your own home, while someone else does for free...and you will be the one in trouble if you shut their water off our anything like that. Pro tenant laws push prices up for all, and rent controls create shortages. The first time homebuyers just aren't out there. You would be more likely to find a thirty year old playing Nintendo in his mother's basement than out house hunting. There is an entire generation out there, who will never buy. 70% of adults in the US do not have 1000 Dollars in savings. Public housing is a disaster. Healthy enough to breed them; healthy enough to feed them.
This is not your forum to rant. What in the world does this post have to do with the question on this thread, at all??

I think you might be better served over in Great Debates or Politics.

Old 07-17-2017, 09:16 AM

1,386 posts, read 998,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
This entire thread is all over the place, it's gone from racial, socioeconomical issues to the legendary Carl Bernstein and Bob Woodward, definitely wasn't expecting that.
You're welcome.

--
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia