Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 11:03 PM

1 posts, read 4,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPSMAN View Post
I'm with ya 100% SoHoVe! Take a drive down Calumet Ave. in the summer time and tell me those people in the adjacent "upper class" neighborhoods enjoy the STENCH coming from the landfill. They've been saying it's going to be a golf course for about 8 years now...yea right.

The Munster faithful always come back to the same reason that their town is superior....the schools. And I could understand their argument if the other schools (Crown Point and Lake Central) were subpar, but they're not. They are all very good school systems, they're just not recognized as much as Munster. There's also a lot of history there that the other schools don't have yet. I think it's safe to say, in a matter of a few years, you'll start to see Lake Central and Crown Point outpace Munster in school reputation.

Good post by the way SoHoVe....well said.

OPSMAN
Short sided, NO vision.
It's fine with me that you believe this, average thinking people such as yourself always have a critical word for those that are a step or ten ahead of them...
Enjoy your drive north in the morning as that is the only place you can work.
S
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 08:24 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,223,727 times
I am not originally from Indiana. I have been here almost 10 years. I do not live in Munster. I have no family here, this is going to be very important at some point and you will feel it. I have had to go into Munster at the most 5 times. I live on the other side of 30. Therefore, what I am stating has been true to my experience versus what I have been experiencing in other areas and not true as a long time resident. I am an outsider, this will also become important because it will not be relevent to the time you are here. If there are those like me, then we have at least some things to focus on to make life easier.
Having said that, I am accustomed to a certain degree of ethical professionalism. There are certain things that are vital to my existence, meaning that I will need it at some point in my life. The odds are that when I need it, I needed it yesterday and I really do not have time to jack with figuring out who can and who can not.
Computer repair, McShanes, is right there. When I make a call or calls, I do not want to hear, well, it will be $75 to $100 an hour, whilst I figure it out. I want to hear things from a place that is authorized to work on my computer and can say, that is a common problem that we have found on what you have. McShanes.
Auto mechanics, we need them. If none exist in Munster, Hammond is right there. They have them, and you might have to call to find the one that suits your needs but it does not take much to figure out who is full of beans. Unless your my way and then it is hands down Kubiaks.
Hair salons, I don't have one, but if I could find one.......I would worship the ground they walked on.
Do not get me started on finding someone who can do carpentry etc. To this day, I have found one man, ONE, who can do what he says and operates completely from integrity with regards to carpentry and such. ONE. His work is respected and well known.
If you like books and your not buying from Amazon.com, there is a Border's real close. If you like to cook international cuisines and its not at Ultra, which by the way will or did sell tomatillos for under a dollar a pound versus where I live and its an exotic at almost 3 bucks a pound, there are other stores. It is possible to access with ease Asian and Mexican ingredients.
If your accustomed to diversity, Lake County is the second most segregated county in the US. Just because it is Greek owned does not mean it is Greek food, out here there is a level of mediocrity. If you are accostomed to dining to Italian food by region, it will be hard to find here. There is a place in Munster called Little Tokyo. They have a gazillion rolls. There are many who would throw a fit because of the service, unless you have that diversity background. Its closer to many areas with other diverse, i.e. poor populations.
If you are moving from an area where you have access to a great many things then Munster might be an easier place to adapt to. I am assuming that you have considered Indiana's education rank nationwide.
I am not saying anything to spark, I'm just saying.

Old 07-13-2008, 01:50 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,384,085 times
I failed to mentioned that Munster is established.
Out of all the nearby suburbs, it remains the most established, at least of the ones that have not gone downhill. The houses around Ridge Rd have an old charm about them.

Old 07-07-2009, 06:50 PM

2 posts, read 7,552 times
Munster is a great place to live because of all the things to do here. The park programs are great for the kids and put any other towns programs to shame. The schools are on a level above any other. Its true St. John and Schererville have more lots available and housing choices BUT the schools are way too overcrowded and only getting worse. I have lived in all three towns and have to say Munster has the most to offer and is a joy to live in.

Old 07-07-2009, 06:54 PM

2 posts, read 7,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo137 View Post
Short sided, NO vision.
It's fine with me that you believe this, average thinking people such as yourself always have a critical word for those that are a step or ten ahead of them...
Enjoy your drive north in the morning as that is the only place you can work.
S
The dump is a golf course now

Old 07-09-2009, 11:02 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,666,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
I failed to mentioned that Munster is established.
Out of all the nearby suburbs, it remains the most established, at least of the ones that have not gone downhill. The houses around Ridge Rd have an old charm about them.
I do agree that Munster does have some lovely, well maintained, old homes

Old 01-07-2010, 05:46 AM

1 posts, read 3,433 times
I have lived in munster, dyer, crown point l, merriville and now schererville as well as 6 states including the top three wealthiest per capita income. So I have experienced and lived with the upper class. Munster is by far the classiest and nicest overall town in northwest Indiana it is number the number 1 town per capita income in Indiana. Dyer is the second classiest followed by crown point and then schererville. <mod cut ... racist> Sure there are 25 million dollar homes in briar ridge but most are older and tired homes with the median house value a slumping 450 thousand at best. People can't sell homes in there as quick as the munster white oak area. And now with park west which is homes 800 thousand and up noone can beat munster. Briar ridge residents pay tuition to go to munster schools. And the garbage dump is now a 9 hole golf course. So yeah Munster is best.

Last edited by domergurl; 01-07-2010 at 06:10 AM..

Old 01-07-2010, 08:31 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,334,693 times
^^^I hate to burst your bubble here, but Munster does not have the highest per capita income in IN. Just a quick search on city-data shows that Fishers, Zionsville, and Carmel all have higher per capita incomes. There maybe others.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:20 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,717,430 times
i would pick Zionsville ...

Old 03-24-2010, 10:02 PM

2,156 posts, read 5,488,415 times
If anybody has noticed, Munster is FINALLY adding a continuous middle lane to Calumet between Fishers (by the hospital) and 45th (by the railroad tracks). Hopefully the next step (although really, a giant leap) is to get the underpass/overpass project going!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana