Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2008, 07:34 AM

4 posts, read 15,348 times

Advertisements

Hi! We're trying to decide between Chesterton/Porter versus Valparaiso. I commute 4 days into Chicago and prefer the train. My wife will stay home with our 2 year old and newborn. I know Chesterton will be more convenient, but I'm concerned my wife will have a more difficult time meeting other new moms and finding things to do. Also, are both towns being intelligent about their growth? Good city planning, etc?
Thanks for any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2008, 02:50 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,725,561 times
Both towns should offer mom plenty of opportunities to meet other moms. When I was a new stay at home mom, we lived in Valparaiso and I went to Gymboree and met a lot of other moms that way. There were a few moms from Chesterton who came down to go to classes. If we ever move back up that way, we'll go back to Valpo for the schools. If you like Valpo, try to live as close to state road 49 as possible as that will be the road you'll be taking to the train station.

Old 04-06-2008, 03:53 PM

801 posts, read 2,565,862 times
I think she'll have no problem meeting people here. There's plenty of kids, great parks, nice people. Moving here in the summer, when people are outside all the time, is terrific. Next time you're in the area, pick up a copy of the Chesterton Tribune and you can get a feel for what goes on. They also provide very complete coverage of the town council meetings, and, the council imposes high standards on proposed developments. We are growing, but from my perspective, it is being thoughtfully handled.

I can't give an opinion about Valparaiso, I don't follow news there as closely. As a city it has some aging areas in its central and north area, and new booming areas on the outskirts near route 49. It will be interesting to see what happens as they redevelop some of the areas near the university as a commercial/residential village.

Also thats great about having a shorter workweek with the 4 day a week commute. Is that something you negotiated, or was that offered to you? I'm happy to see that happening, its good for families and communities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana