Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 06:55 PM

186 posts, read 449,318 times

Advertisements

Thanks sooo much, Chuckity!!!! Talking about not being planned well.... You need to come and drive downtown Charlotte... Now that's poor planning!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 09:34 AM

186 posts, read 449,318 times
Thank you so much everyone for your help!!! I really do appreciate it. I don't know if anyone has ever been there, but we loved Fair Oaks Dairy, right off the highway. They had the BEST fresh, homemade ice cream- it was wonderful!!! It seemed like a great place for school kids to go and learn about milk production and stuff!

We were very confused by the construction and detours that were going on in the area and people told us there is usually some kind of construcion happening during the summer months! We eventually found our way though and were very impressed by your pretty city and area. The whole drive in from Ohio to Indiana was just lovely with all that farmland and wide open greenspace and it seemed like a lovely, simple way of life. What we didn't like was the horrible traffic going into Chicago. We went to Chicago on a Friday morning (after rush-hour around 10:30) and then on a Sunday afternoon and it was just bumper-to-bumper, so crowded and we paid $10 each way in tolls! We felt that if Tom didn't have to commute to Chicago everyday, that if we lived and worked in the Valpo area, then we could definately make a life there and enjoy living there. But, having to deal with that traffic (especially in winter...) and that depressing commute through Gary.... It's really sad to see such a shell of a town. So, we are so glad we went and checked it out and are so thankful for your advice!!!! I apologize for not getting back to this thread sooner, but we have been so busy in the month since we returned.

Enjoy your beautiful town and countryside and that delicious homemade ice cream!!!!!

Thanks again!
Kari

Old 06-20-2011, 03:53 PM

5 posts, read 6,423 times
Hi all,
We're moving to Valpo from a small town in Southern California. Hubs got a job there; we're renting a home for a couple of months until we get our bearings in the town and see where we want to buy (looking at Chandana Point and Forest Hill). NOW I just saw that Porter County was added to the high drug enforcement/ improvement area, and I just have to ask: Where in Valpo are the drugs concentrated? Obviously want to stay out of that area. Thanks much for your help.

Old 06-20-2011, 05:13 PM

17,465 posts, read 14,710,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verbalicon View Post
Hi all,
We're moving to Valpo from a small town in Southern California. Hubs got a job there; we're renting a home for a couple of months until we get our bearings in the town and see where we want to buy (looking at Chandana Point and Forest Hill). NOW I just saw that Porter County was added to the high drug enforcement/ improvement area, and I just have to ask: Where in Valpo are the drugs concentrated? Obviously want to stay out of that area. Thanks much for your help.
There is absolutely no area in Valparaiso that you won't be safe or feel safe.

You're worrying needlessly. Pinkie swear.

Old 07-05-2011, 07:30 AM

Thanks, Chuckity. Now, here's another question: What's the best elementary school in town? We're trying to pick a place to live, and my main criterion for location is to end up near the best elementary school. Is any of them head and shoulders above the rest in terms of academic achievement? And what is the "insider" rep of the Montessori school?

Old 07-05-2011, 11:34 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,501,527 times
Quote:
Thanks, Chuckity. Now, here's another question: What's the best elementary school in town? We're trying to pick a place to live, and my main criterion for location is to end up near the best elementary school. Is any of them head and shoulders above the rest in terms of academic achievement? And what is the "insider" rep of the Montessori school?
Hey Verb--Valpo is no San Luis Obispo. But its a pretty nice place! Stop worrying and enjoy!

Old 07-05-2011, 03:24 PM

17,465 posts, read 14,710,390 times
Quote:
Nope. They're all fine schools.

All the elementary schools feed into two middle schools which feeds into one high school - every Valpo school is pretty darn good.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:50 AM

Wow, thanks, Chuckity, for the great input. Really looking forward to raising our little girl there and already put her on the waiting list at Growing Kids. Will also take another look at the Montessori School since I'm an avid Montessori fan.

Now, here's another question (or should that maybe even be another thread?): My husband is going right into a cushy job at the U; I, on the other hand, am not. As a certified PMP with an MS in Systems Engineering and 10+ years of experience in high tech and aerospace, I'll be searching for employment in the area. Would like to keep the commute in the 30-minute range. Where would you suggest I start? Already contacted the Calumet PMI chapter, which has been useless so far, and have looked at the Chamber of Commerce business listings which include mostly small businesses. Do you have any idea where else I could look? Thanks so much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana