Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2020, 09:34 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,529,824 times

Advertisements

This thread will discuss Ohio's economy, culture, politics, etc. post COVID-19.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2020, 09:47 AM

Default Restaurant Apocalypse

Perhaps no part of Ohio's economy and culture will suffer more than the restaurant industry. Some sizable fraction of Ohio's restaurants won't survive the stay-at-home lockdown.

https://www.clevescene.com/scene-and...ntly-in-april?

Until a COVID-19 vaccine is available, many potential customers may avoid restaurants, sporting events, and other activities involving social proximity unless antibody tests show the customers already have had COVID-19. With the approach of autumn, there will be much discussion of a "second surge" of infection as we enter the months in which coronaviruses such as the flu see increased infection rates.

Additionally, Ohioans and all Americans will be poorer, with savings exhausted and greatly reduced job prospects, especially in service industries. Many persons will be burdened with deferred mortgage payments and rental payments. Interest rates may rise in response to the massive, ongoing federal borrowing.

Anticipate much higher insurance premiums, deductibles, etc. as insurers attempt to recoup the costs of this epidemic.

Disposable personal income, earnings after taxes and necessities such as insurance, will be at much lower levels and disposable personal income is the lifeblood of the restaurant industry, especially for sit-down restaurants.

Old 04-04-2020, 07:11 AM

2,365 posts, read 4,391,002 times
People said move back to the city. Get an apartment or condo and live on top of each other. Take public transportation get rid of your car. The suburbs suck.
Wonder if this virus will reverse this trend?
I do believe many more people will continue to work from home and travel less because of video conferencing , etc.. I also believe virtual doctor visit will be more common also.
In my opinion I do believe Ohio is ahead of the curve and will also return to more normalcy than most of the other cities/states that were slow to quarantine resulting in a faster economic rebound.

Old 04-04-2020, 07:15 AM

11,078 posts, read 12,545,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watertiger View Post
People said move back to the city. Get an apartment or condo and live on top of each other. Take public transportation get rid of your car. The suburbs suck.
Wonder if this virus will reverse this trend?
I do believe many more people will continue to work from home and travel less because of video conferencing , etc.. I also believe virtual doctor visit will be more common also.
In my opinion I do believe Ohio is ahead of the curve and will also return to more normalcy than most of the other cities/states that were slow to quarantine resulting in a faster economic rebound.
Pandemics have happened before and cities survived. For what it's worth, zip codes in the city of Cleveland have the fewest cases. My area downtown has way fewer than my parents in the heights.

Also, remote working sucks. I've been working from home for 3 weeks. I hate it. What our world doesnt need is more social isolation than weve already had. This pandemic is a big dose of isolation. And everyone is going crazy.

Old 04-04-2020, 08:45 AM

2,365 posts, read 4,391,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Pandemics have happened before and cities survived. For what it's worth, zip codes in the city of Cleveland have the fewest cases. My area downtown has way fewer than my parents in the heights.

Also, remote working sucks. I've been working from home for 3 weeks. I hate it. What our world doesnt need is more social isolation than weve already had. This pandemic is a big dose of isolation. And everyone is going crazy.
Yes. Let’s hope we can open up the state back for business within two months. And let’s hope and pray the stimulus money gets to the small businesses in a timely manner so they don’t close.
I am one of the lucky few that are considered essential so thank God I don’t have to stay at home all day LOL
However, the golf courses are open today

Old 04-05-2020, 12:29 PM

Default Ohio's cultural institutions face an uncertain future

With revenues, but not expenses, reduced to zero, Ohio's cultural institutions may find the recovery from the current crisis extremely difficult.

https://www.cleveland.com/news/2020/...companies.html

Reading the above article, it's obvious that cultural institutions haven't yet grasped the impact that a possible near depression if not depression will have on the cultural community. Few living Americans have experienced an economic depression, which would significantly exceed the Great Recession in its impact.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depres...s)#Definitions

Cleveland's Playhouse Square may have difficulty leasing its 34-story Luminen apartment building scheduled to open this summer. Empty nesters living in suburban homes may think twice about moving into a building dependent on elevators and more vulnerable to other conditions posing greater risks of community spread.

As disposable income and wealth plummets, all Ohio cultural institutions may experience severe difficulty selling tickets and subscription packages, especially to more elderly patrons eager to avoid large gatherings in the absence of a vaccine to protect against COVID-19.

Even Ohio's cultural institutions with hefty endowments, such as the Cleveland Museum of Art, may suffer if their endowments have been massively eroded.

Old 04-05-2020, 05:47 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,056,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
With revenues, but not expenses, reduced to zero, Ohio's cultural institutions may find the recovery from the current crisis extremely difficult.

https://www.cleveland.com/news/2020/...companies.html

Reading the above article, it's obvious that cultural institutions haven't yet grasped the impact that a possible near depression if not depression will have on the cultural community. Few living Americans have experienced an economic depression, which would significantly exceed the Great Recession in its impact.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depres...s)#Definitions

Cleveland's Playhouse Square may have difficulty leasing its 34-story Luminen apartment building scheduled to open this summer. Empty nesters living in suburban homes may think twice about moving into a building dependent on elevators and more vulnerable to other conditions posing greater risks of community spread.

As disposable income and wealth plummets, all Ohio cultural institutions may experience severe difficulty selling tickets and subscription packages, especially to more elderly patrons eager to avoid large gatherings in the absence of a vaccine to protect against COVID-19.

Even Ohio's cultural institutions with hefty endowments, such as the Cleveland Museum of Art, may suffer if their endowments have been massively eroded.
Before somebody jumps off a bridge from despair, here are some notes:
1. There are many, diverse, well funded R+D teams working on a response to viral attacks such as COVID19. These include everything from PPE to vaccines, anti-viral medications and immunity system boosters. In the aftermath of COVID19, expect investments in research to go up.
2. The US economy is today: the most creative, the most diverse, the most resourceful, the most capitalized in the world. Expect a full comeback. I expect it to be within 2 years and the real optimist in me expects it by the end of the year.
3. This country has endured challenges much bigger than this before and came out just fine. In terms of human life loss: Cival War, WWI, 1918 pandemic, Great Depression, WWII, Vietnam. As of this writing, COVID19 is not expected to last longer nor have as big of a death toll than most of these. Oh, you could argue it a bit, but you would be arguing from a point of fear, not fact. Give it a year.

Fear sells when facts die.

Old 04-05-2020, 07:00 PM
on3

501 posts, read 394,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post

I'd rather work from home than be sitting in a hospital bed. I'm in the same boat working from home and it sucks but I'm thankful that I still have a job. Everyone needs to just suck it up and stay the **** home unless they absolutely must go out and get supplies and even then they should only go out at non peak times. I can understand exercise but people need to make sure that they never go within 6 feet of another person when at a park. Florida is a joke right now. Anyone having a social gathering right now is basically a terrorist putting lives at risk.

Old 04-09-2020, 07:25 AM

Default Masks, a cultural change?

Have you ever wondered why, even before the COVID-19 epidemic, that persons in China, Japan, and elsewhere in Asia, often wore masks?

Well, we'll have a better grasp of this cultural norm in the next many months. A Yale immunologist says we would be wise to wear masks until their is a vaccine effective against the COVID-19 virus. It would be a small concession in order to restart our economy and society.

<<"I think people are going to have to wear masks until there's a vaccine. I mean that to be completely blunt," Shan, a Yale University lecturer and an immunologist by training, said in an interview with AccuWeather. "I think the next best would be through the end of the epidemic. It definitely needs to be moving past peak."

Shan cautioned that the threat from the new coronavirus does not suddenly vanish with a peak in cases.

"The peak is not the magic end of it. That's just the top," she explained. "There's the whole downslope, too, that you need to ride and ensure that you're just not starting up another peak again.">>

https://www.accuweather.com/en/healt...rt-says/716922

The cultural issue for the long run is why don't Americans wear masks when they are sick? Shouldn't coughing and sneezing in public be a great cultural faux pas, especially when in close contact with others? Why should we be freely allowed to infect others, even at religious gatherings?

<<The cultural differences between the U.S. and some east Asia countries when it comes to mask-wearing has been a crucial component of this debate, Shan said. In some Asian countries, Shan said, not wearing a mask when you're sick is seen as rude. Or as one person summed it up to The Wall Street Journal about mask-wearing in Hong Kong, "Not wearing masks in Hong Kong is like not wearing pants.">>

And persons with preexisting medical conditions shouldn't fill guilty wearing masks in periods of widespread infection that could threaten their lives. Once available again to retail customers, anyone would be foolish not to invest in a couple packages of N-95 masks, more for a larger family or to have supplies available to donate for unprepared friends and neighbors.

Old 04-09-2020, 11:52 AM

4,038 posts, read 1,908,988 times
I get that it's cultural - but it's also philosophical, which is ALSO cultural.
Find a photo of Hong Kong, New Year's Eve, 2020. Ya see any masks? It is not a "regular" thing and not akin to wearing pants. Not normally, anyway.

This is a decent explanation, slightly dated:
https://qz.com/299003/a-quick-histor...sks-in-public/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio