Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2020, 05:19 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,449,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by on3 View Post
If someone is in a situation where they sitting around with nothing to do another than drugs, I have to question if a suicide in such a scenario would be attributed to Covid to begin with. Even with the current situation, someone that feels they have nothing to do other than drugs has bigger problems and there is a much bigger issue at play there. There’s more to life than work and going out to a bar, and if those people don’t realize that then they need some help.
that is not what anybody is suggesting, thanks.

yeah this is great because you finally got in shape. could have done that at literally any time in your life, but hey good job dude, i hope they write an article about this to boost everyone's morale. just go to the food bank and let everyone and their kids there know how you've been able to cut back on your food intake, they will be really happy for you. they will appreciate the awesome life advice. they don't really have any valid complaints. life is more than going to a bar! tell it to the parents who lost their jobs and now have to homeschool their kids while you're at it. tell it to the millions in student loan debt. and all the people that are still wondering when they can actually get their "elective" surgeries (massive back log- for some people it will simply be too late). the people that already had depression before this began or had already been addicted to opioids (many thousands in cleveland btw, you probably just don't see them in your wealthy suburb). "no big deal, have you tried doing push ups?"

how oblivious and cold can you be to even say that like it's something you're proud of. if you don't get it, you obviously just have a ton of wealth to fall back on, which is fantastic for you. this is not reality for most people. i'm glad some people are sheltered from this. but you can at least not be so intentionally obtuse. what a gross "i got mine" attitude.

there is still plenty of time for you to lose everything btw. we are just getting started here. if you lose your job i want to hear exactly zero bitching.

i am honestly just shocked at how ignorant and superficial people like you are. i'm not sorry for the harshness. this is real life for millions of people now and it's not clear at all when it will end. have a half an ounce of empathy for your fellow man.

Last edited by bjimmy24; 05-10-2020 at 05:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2020, 06:35 PM

100 posts, read 42,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
there was zero chance to have a south korea or taiwan response - unless we were able to be an island somehow. our main weapons after that were PPE and quarantine. We are proving right now that a huge chunk of the population would have tolerated neither. the asian countries have a ridiculously effective surveillance system - we don't have it, and we don't want it. And they have the tools to back it up - hefty fines and jail time. We do not.

if it was so "easy" to be one of those places - don't ya think at least ONE Euro country would've figured it out? but - nope.

I agree with the rest of your post. While I think there is some "bad stuff" ahead for some people - they really need to keep it in perspective. It is - so far - just since Mid March or later for nearly everyone. 7 weeks now. A 20% unemployment rate is horrible - but it means 80% of people kept their jobs (so far). That 20% - the worst "feeling" right now for nearly all of them (not all - nearly all) is that they got paid the same or more - and didn't have to go. No gas in the car, no lunch money needed, no clothes to buy, and more. It was (so far) 7 weeks of vacation. The OVERALL future is up in the air - but that is true for every - single - person on earth. Ya don't see them all jumping off a building. Or trying to score some meth. No.

When you're out of work for 3 years - and it's 50% unemployment - and you CANT buy food even if you had the money, which you don't, and every day is STILL in question - then check back in, and I'll be more sympathetic. But I will still not be suicidal.

As I've stated on a few other posts: In all seriousness - not kidding - politics aside - if you are considering ending it all because you've lost some "thing" like - money - then please call someone. Seek professional help. Those thoughts are not normal, and not healthy. Please ask someone to help you.
Yes, it's much easier if your an island like Taiwain or an ''island'' on a peninsula like South Korea. Both countries wear masks a lot, it's almost a cultural thing. Of course, they know why they wear masks on a regular basis because of unpleasant and dealdy Chinese exports.

Australia, though a continent, is also an island; 3.3/sq kilo population density to boot making it one of the most sparsely populated countries and, other than Antartica, the most sparsely continent in the world.

Last edited by Kent70; 05-10-2020 at 06:45 PM..

Old 05-10-2020, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Yeah, kinda where i was going with that on3 - i didn't want to seem more insensitive than I already do.

But "normal" people - whatever that is - can endure a little hardship without self-destructing.
Well, when so many people today can't even handle a different opinion in a conversation and quickly turn into mushroom clouds because they didn't like what they heard, I can see lots of people going over the deep-end with this virus lockdown and unemployment.

Sadly, I think there are more people than you think out there that can't handle a little hardship and end up in self-destruction.

Last edited by Kent70; 05-10-2020 at 08:20 PM..

Old 05-11-2020, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent70 View Post
Well, when so many people today can't even handle a different opinion in a conversation and quickly turn into mushroom clouds because they didn't like what they heard, I can see lots of people going over the deep-end with this virus lockdown and unemployment.

Sadly, I think there are more people than you think out there that can't handle a little hardship and end up in self-destruction.
sadly, there are lots of people out there that don't understand econ 101 level material, such as yourself.

Old 05-11-2020, 05:26 AM
on3

498 posts, read 384,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent70 View Post

Sadly people have no idea how to turn a bad situation into something that can help them better get through it. And when they do, some people have to point out “hey well good for you but xyz is suffering right now...” without first asking themselves why that is.

With each passing generation toughness is lost. We went from a “given not earned” mentality to a “everyone is a winner”. Throw in a difficult situation and suddenly people start panicking and running to their “safe space”. Why weren’t there any safe spaces 40 years ago? Because they weren’t needed. People had stronger mentalities.

We’ve got fools out there that can’t follow simple protocol and we wonder why we’re in this situation. We have other countries that laid the blueprint on how to handle it and instead of going with that, all I hear are excuses as to why America can’t do such a thing. We better LEARN how to sooner rather than later.

Old 05-11-2020, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by on3 View Post
Sadly people have no idea how to turn a bad situation into something that can help them better get through it. And when they do, some people have to point out “hey well good for you but xyz is suffering right now...” without first asking themselves why that is.

With each passing generation toughness is lost. We went from a “given not earned” mentality to a “everyone is a winner”. Throw in a difficult situation and suddenly people start panicking and running to their “safe space”. Why weren’t there any safe spaces 40 years ago? Because they weren’t needed. People had stronger mentalities.

We’ve got fools out there that can’t follow simple protocol and we wonder why we’re in this situation. We have other countries that laid the blueprint on how to handle it and instead of going with that, all I hear are excuses as to why America can’t do such a thing. We better LEARN how to sooner rather than later.
this is the most cliche boomer take I've ever seen. You have no connection to the world my man. Wealth and idleness have really sheltered you, that's all I can say.

Old 05-11-2020, 11:17 AM

4,022 posts, read 1,876,931 times
cliche or not, on3 is right - people can't follow instructions, or do basic math, and here we are. I feel just like on3 does - and I assure you I have neither wealth nor idleness - and I have never been sheltered. But this - BJ - is not about having empathy. Because I have empathy - for folks on respirators right now. For doctors and nurses I know who are falling over from this. I have empathy for my elderly parents - who are losing their retirement right now. I have empathy for my (former) co-workers who are without insurance right now AND without a job.

But ya know what? None of them want my empathy OR sympathy because they are grown adults, and realize throwing your life away over a temporary financial struggle is stupid. And by "temporary" they mean a few years or so. After that, we can talk again. Drugs are NOT cheaper than being out of work. But drugs will KEEP you out of work when the time comes. So it's a bad decision- if you're thinking like an adult.

Or put another way:

Suck it up, buttercup.

Old 05-11-2020, 11:54 AM
on3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
this is the most cliche boomer take I've ever seen. You have no connection to the world my man. Wealth and idleness have really sheltered you, that's all I can say.
So because I try to make the best situation i can for myself without negatively impacting others during a pandemic, I'm now a wealthy boomer now that has no empathy for others? LOL your view of the world is rather narrow. Learn how it works before being so wrong on so many accounts.

"yeah this is great because you finally got in shape. could have done that at literally any time in your life"

LOL I was healthy, then unhealthy, and now I'm back to being healthy again. I guess I should apologize for understanding how the world works and using this time properly instead of doing drugs and being depressed? What kind of backwards ass logic is this?

Old 05-11-2020, 11:58 AM
on3

Quote:
cliche or not, on3 is right - people can't follow instructions, or do basic math, and here we are. I feel just like on3 does - and I assure you I have neither wealth nor idleness - and I have never been sheltered. But this - BJ - is not about having empathy. Because I have empathy - for folks on respirators right now. For doctors and nurses I know who are falling over from this. I have empathy for my elderly parents - who are losing their retirement right now. I have empathy for my (former) co-workers who are without insurance right now AND without a job.

But ya know what? None of them want my empathy OR sympathy because they are grown adults, and realize throwing your life away over a temporary financial struggle is stupid. And by "temporary" they mean a few years or so. After that, we can talk again. Drugs are NOT cheaper than being out of work. But drugs will KEEP you out of work when the time comes. So it's a bad decision- if you're thinking like an adult.

Or put another way:

Suck it up, buttercup.
Well said. How can anyone not agree with this take? Why are people so quick to pretend accountability and self responsibility shouldn't be practiced even during bad times?

Old 05-11-2020, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
sadly, there are lots of people out there that don't understand econ 101 level material, such as yourself.
don't know what you're talking about but I understand Econ level 101 thank you. I was adding the emotional hemophiliacs out there that can't handle any bumps in the road.

Sadly it is true, you can't handle an on-line conversation and accuse people that may have lots more life experience than you of being wealthy, idle, boomers. You are a case in point. Perhaps you're one of those emotional hemophiliacs as well.

Tell your distraught friends that life is not easy and stop feeling sorry for themselves because if they're and adult and can't handle this, they won't last long.

Last edited by Kent70; 05-11-2020 at 01:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio