Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2020, 12:25 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,473,670 times

Advertisements

The Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME), an independent population health research center at UW Medicine, part of the University of Washington, calculates as of 4/22 that Ohio should not begin to open its economy until May 11 at the earliest.

The May 11 date assumes containment measures are in place, and that these measures include testing, contact tracing, isolation, and limiting gathering sizes. Yet Ohio's testing is limited, no plans are in place for enhanced contact tracing as testing rates increase, no mandatory and effective isolation policies are in place, and Ohio's limits on gathering sizes exempt religious activities (including weddings and funerals) and public protest gatherings.

COVID-19 estimation updates | Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2020, 01:03 PM

Here's an article discussing the controversial decision of Georgia's governor to reopen many businesses from barber shops to restaurants by May 27 and beginning today.

<<Georgia is back open for business this week. On Friday the state will take an extraordinary step in reopening its economy by allowing certain businesses, including barber shops, nail salons, bowling alleys, gyms, tattoo parlors and more, to reopen. Church services can resume Sunday, and on Monday theaters and dine-in restaurants will be allowed to reopen. >>

https://www.yahoo.com/news/small-bus...232630680.html

Some lawyers warn that business owners may be exposing themselves to lawsuits.

https://news.yahoo.com/as-georgia-re...184717335.html

So, once Ohio eases its social distancing policies, business owners need to consider many issues, including:

1) Will customers show up? If not the expense of reopening, then closing down, then reopening may overwhelm a business.

2) What legal risks may result by reopening? Do insurance policies adequately cover the risk (e.g., does the business have a large umbrella policy, and is this a covered risk?)?

3) Should business owners seek a waiver of responsibility from any employees returning to work AND not make returning to work a condition of continued employment?

4) Should business owners post signs saying that patrons assume the risks of visiting the establishment for desired services?

5) Should businesses provide personal protection equipment to employees and customers, and are such supplies even available, and, if so, at what cost?

6) What is the risk of a reescalation of the epidemic and that the social distancing policies will be reimplemented, forcing another shutdown? Can the business handle the costs incurred under such a scenario?

7) Should businesses wait 2-3 weeks before reopening to see how the reopening affects the COVID-19 case load, hospitalization,, etc.?

Does anyone else have any other considerations?

8) What communications to employees and customers should be made prior to the reopening?

Old 04-24-2020, 01:32 PM

4,038 posts, read 1,890,962 times
All good questions, WR.

Along the lines of "customers show up" - I (personally) feel reluctance two ways to do my favorite things.

1. My favorite restaurants, closest friends, regular pubs - all include "old people." Maybe I have COVID right now. I don't want them to get sick.

2. I am not "old" by the data - but I have some pre-exisiting conditions, related to lungs, and I, myself - do not want to get sick. .

The result is that plenty of places won't be seeing the business they used to see, some of them permanently. How many people just figured out how easy and cheap it is to eat at home? How many colleges just realized "online" is awesome...and now local eateries suffer? How many people just learned they can work at home permanently - so they don't need a new car, or car service, and they don't to drive past McDonald's five days a week. And so on.

I expect the economy to change - maybe still OK someday - but not the "same" in many ways.

Old 04-24-2020, 06:35 PM

4,009 posts, read 5,739,798 times
It's not time to be selfish. We have to think of others. We don't want anyone to get sick.
Opening too soon could and probably will prolong the virus. Take it easy everyone. Be thoughtful, wear your masks. Abide by the 6 feet rules. We're all in this together.

Old 04-25-2020, 07:41 AM

4,038 posts, read 1,890,962 times
Hey Kerby - are you OK? Talking Sense is not permitted on most of these forums.

I'm in Y-Town too - lots of dead people around here = lots of sick people. I don't want to become a paranoid nut about
this, but it's happening.

Still - even some of the smartest folks I know will not buy into this. While I am able to work from home - our office is "essential" and some core staff is there. They say "oh, I don't believe in that" or "I don't care if I catch it." That kind of thing. Makes me NEVER want to return to work. No masks. No thermometers. High-risk ("old") people still there.

These are (otherwise) smart people. I just don't get it, really.

Old 04-25-2020, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
All good questions, WR.

Along the lines of "customers show up" - I (personally) feel reluctance two ways to do my favorite things.

1. My favorite restaurants, closest friends, regular pubs - all include "old people." Maybe I have COVID right now. I don't want them to get sick.

2. I am not "old" by the data - but I have some pre-exisiting conditions, related to lungs, and I, myself - do not want to get sick. .

The result is that plenty of places won't be seeing the business they used to see, some of them permanently. How many people just figured out how easy and cheap it is to eat at home? How many colleges just realized "online" is awesome...and now local eateries suffer? How many people just learned they can work at home permanently - so they don't need a new car, or car service, and they don't to drive past McDonald's five days a week. And so on.

I expect the economy to change - maybe still OK someday - but not the "same" in many ways.
Good post, cutting to the bones of this epidemic. Sadly, many experts believe creating a vaccine, contrary to common perception and hope, will not be an easy task, especially as the virus apparently mutates easily.

Old 04-27-2020, 05:03 PM

219 posts, read 571,754 times
We regularly visited our favorite restaurants up until this lockdown went into effect, and we will most certainly return when it is lifted. There will be those who will continue to hide under their beds, convinced that it's just not safe. But that's their problem. I'm very much looking forward to our next restaurant meal and my next haircut. And our servers will receive generous tips.
BTW, we are 70 and supposedly in a high risk group. We're not, however, going to go about our lives in fear of a germ.

Old 05-01-2020, 05:55 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,364,276 times
Lockdown's been extended to May 29th. According to DD (at whose house I'm staying during the duration) your governor announced this at midnight. I'm a PA resident, and PA will probably have a similar announcement. No restaurant, gym, or hair salon openings this month.

Old 05-01-2020, 01:26 PM
on3

499 posts, read 388,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
Hey Kerby - are you OK? Talking Sense is not permitted on most of these forums.

I'm in Y-Town too - lots of dead people around here = lots of sick people. I don't want to become a paranoid nut about
this, but it's happening.

Still - even some of the smartest folks I know will not buy into this. While I am able to work from home - our office is "essential" and some core staff is there. They say "oh, I don't believe in that" or "I don't care if I catch it." That kind of thing. Makes me NEVER want to return to work. No masks. No thermometers. High-risk ("old") people still there.

These are (otherwise) smart people. I just don't get it, really.
Talking sense is not permitted. Didn’t you get the memo? Using intelligence when it comes to covid makes too much sense for American society.

Old 05-01-2020, 01:27 PM
on3

499 posts, read 388,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
Lockdown's been extended to May 29th. According to DD (at whose house I'm staying during the duration) your governor announced this at midnight. I'm a PA resident, and PA will probably have a similar announcement. No restaurant, gym, or hair salon openings this month.

It’s been extended because dewine listens to medical experts over politicians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio