Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How are you voting on Issue 1 ?
YES 9 29.03%
NO 19 61.29%
I'm not voting 3 9.68%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2023, 11:12 AM

50,403 posts, read 64,129,909 times

Advertisements

I don’t even know if the Issue pertains to voting for things like school levies, but one of the things I liked about Ohio was that any increase in the school levy had to be approved by the voters. This is really important to avoid wasteful spending.

Old 08-03-2023, 11:07 PM

995 posts, read 786,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
This is what the YES people want it to be about. It looks like the abortion issue WILL be on the November ballot from my understanding. Issue 1, if passed, takes affect Jan 1, 2024. So this won't even imapct that!

I agree with Sheena, too. I'm a man. The abortion issue should be left up to: women. I love how the most anti-abortion people are little old blue haired ladies....

My issue with 1 has nothing to do with any of this. It's the part no one ever talks about: Today, you only need a half of the state counties to get enough signatures to get an amendment on the ballot. If 1 passes, you need EVERY county to provide at least 5%. Vinton County has 1% of the Ohio population. So if VInton county doesn't get enough signatures...no ballot initiative. That's ONE tiny county able to decide for the state... That is not BY THE PEOPLE, FOR THE PEOPLE. And lets not even talk about the possibility of some county clerk in Vinton or Coshocton doesn't like the topic and invalidates enough signatures to make sure they fall below the 5%... could happen. And then that leads to the last point: if signatures are invalid TODAY, they are given 10 days to try and get more. If issues 1 passes: there is no time given to try and get signatures. How do people NOT see this as an attempt to make sure it's INSANELY difficult to change out constitution. Of course it should not be easy! but...today, pre-issue 1: it's NOT easy!
Oh, Issue 1 definitely will mean the abortion amendment will need 60 percent. It's the biggest reason why the state controlled GOP rushed it on the ballot.

They were holding off on the vote for the August election down to the last day possible, hoping it didn't look like the group running the amendment change wasn't going to meet the signature requirement. When it became obvious they would, the GOP state House/Senate voted on the last day possible to even hold the August election (which they voted against even holding ever again in the first place less than a year prior).

Your last graph is very well stated. I looked at it from the other angle in that if the state (10 years from now) flips to Dem control, good luck getting a conservative measure on the ballot ... even if it's one that has 60 percent support when you need to collect 25k signatures from Cuyahoga (more like 30k to be safe). That's more like 25 percent of all Cuyahoga Republican voters signing to meet the 5 percent "all voters" number. Will not happen.

This issue is so messed up and isn't even partisan ... well until I saw a "yes" commercial tonight during the Browns game. It was sinister music, followed by a bunch of culture war BS and ended with "vote yes to protect our constitution." .... lol, so the bottom line of that ad was to vote no. Because "no" protects a portion of our constitution that has only been around for, you know, 100-plus years. Get the F out of here with that.

Old 08-04-2023, 08:00 AM

16,559 posts, read 19,748,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I don’t even know if the Issue pertains to voting for things like school levies, but one of the things I liked about Ohio was that any increase in the school levy had to be approved by the voters. This is really important to avoid wasteful spending.
This would not effect school levies at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandBrown View Post
Oh, Issue 1 definitely will mean the abortion amendment will need 60 percent. It's the biggest reason why the state controlled GOP rushed it on the ballot.
Man, I read so many articles on this but some how I DID get it wrong. You are correct, my bad. The 60% thing happens right away. It's the ballot thing I mentioned and the signature grace period that would start on 1/1/24.

Looking at this from another angle: if it only takes 41% of the people to BLOCK a Constitutional amendment... is THAT what our founding fathers wanted? Minority rule? Because that's what a 60/40 split truly is.

Old 08-04-2023, 10:05 AM

41,995 posts, read 75,311,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
This is true. But a different spin I've seen from the "yes on 1" folks is: "Don't let radical special interests impose their fringe views on Ohioans".
And yet ... Radical special interests are funding the GOP's campaign.
Quote:
The 60 percent figure was no accident, either; polling usually places voter approval for abortion at between 50 and 60 percent nationwide.

Quote:
When it became obvious they would, the GOP state House/Senate voted on the last day possible to even hold the August election (which they voted against even holding ever again in the first place less than a year prior).
Yeah, the August special election was too much of a PITA and too expensive until ... the GOP wanted to sneak something in at a time when everyone is on vacation.

You all please vote 'no' for me - twice if you can! I checked to see if I was still registered in Hamilton County, just for giggles - alas. They booted me.

Old 08-06-2023, 07:35 PM

5,299 posts, read 5,255,437 times
Are their any polls on how this is going to be voted on yet?

Old 08-07-2023, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
Are their any polls on how this is going to be voted on yet?
There was a poll from Suffolk University/USA Today a couple weeks ago that had it at 57 percent against, 24 percent for and 19 percent undecided. There was another one last week from Ohio Northern University that had it 50/50, though that poll only posed the question about "do you agree with changing it to 60 percent" which is only a portion of Issue 1.

Unless Ohio Democrats who haven't yet voted completely sit out tomorrow on election day, looks like it is going to go down big time. I saw a story this morning that Hamilton County reached 100 percent of their early voting totals from the 2022 general election (statewide average is about 50 percent of 2022's early total). Cuyahoga County is also surpassing statewide average and is at about 65 percent of its early vote from 2022. I think Franklin is also running over 50 percent as well.

Old 08-07-2023, 11:38 AM

41,995 posts, read 75,311,165 times

Old 08-07-2023, 04:10 PM

1,438 posts, read 1,045,032 times
Vote Yes on Issue One - keep babies safe from abortions!

https://ballotpedia.org/Ohio_Issue_1...Measure_(2023)

Old 08-07-2023, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahayana View Post
Vote Yes on Issue One - keep babies safe from abortions!

https://ballotpedia.org/Ohio_Issue_1...Measure_(2023)
That vote doesn't come until November.

Don't get fooled by trolls, Issue 1 is not about abortion. They are just using that issue in an attempt to completely pry citizens rights away from the people and using abortion as the boogeyman. It has far more implications than an abortion rights vote in three months.

Implications that can have an adverse effect on citizens regardless of which side they are on. This is not a partisan issue. It's about keeping checks in place so politicians can't run amok.

Old 08-07-2023, 05:20 PM

1,438 posts, read 1,045,032 times
Quote:
That [pro-abortion] vote doesn't come until November.
[...]
It's about keeping checks in place so politicians can't run amok.
Voters also can and do run amok. So putting in 60% needed for passage makes it less likely for abortionists to rampage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio