Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2023, 05:31 PM

89 posts, read 153,646 times

Advertisements

Currently live in FL. Looking to possibly move elsewhere in the somewhat near future. Just planning an exit now. Don't want to leave FL but the handwriting is on the wall, I can hardly afford to live here now and FL has too many problems now. Looking to find work in the blue collar/trades environment if I were to move. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2023, 06:08 PM

1,887 posts, read 1,443,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowpat5 View Post
Currently live in FL. Looking to possibly move elsewhere in the somewhat near future. Just planning an exit now. Don't want to leave FL but the handwriting is on the wall, I can hardly afford to live here now and FL has too many problems now. Looking to find work in the blue collar/trades environment if I were to move. Thanks.
What are the issues that you're having in Florida or what's the issue(s) with Florida in general?

Old 10-29-2023, 06:17 PM

89 posts, read 153,646 times
Cost of living is too expensive now. You just get no bang for your buck here. Even though I can technically afford FL day-to-day, longterm it just doesn't really make sense anymore. Don't see a good future for myself here. And my working background is blue collar and tradesmen don't get paid well here. Besides financial reasons, I also don't like how crowded it has gotten here. Typical complaints about FL. Gentrification, lack of affordability, wages are not equal with cost of living. Seems like the state is just turning into an epic fail. Used to be good.

Old 10-30-2023, 04:32 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,645,402 times
from everything I’ve read over the years, Ohio and the Midwest have better wages in most industries than Florida and the South. Congestion is definitely not an issue because we still seem to be net even with people births & arrivals vs people moving out of state. So yes, real estate is cheaper though still highly conflated compared to where it was a few years ago. General COL inflation has also gone up everywhere, but there still appears to be a high need for workers here that isn’t getting fulfilled due to COVID & boomer retirements, so that should work in your favor.

Old 10-30-2023, 10:10 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,981,085 times
Rising costs may be an issue one day in the Three C's, if it's not already, but I think it's not much of a concern in the rest of the state.

So you get your pick of rural areas, a dozen or so small cities (Marion, Zanesville, Lancaster, Marietta, Lima, Findlay, Sandusky, Ashtabula, etc.), and also some larger cities like Akron, Toledo, and Youngstown.

Old 11-02-2023, 07:44 AM

5,510 posts, read 9,492,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
Rising costs may be an issue one day in the Three C's, if it's not already, but I think it's not much of a concern in the rest of the state.

So you get your pick of rural areas, a dozen or so small cities (Marion, Zanesville, Lancaster, Marietta, Lima, Findlay, Sandusky, Ashtabula, etc.), and also some larger cities like Akron, Toledo, and Youngstown.
This is still a minor point, since you can still get a lot for your money. But I've been seeing plenty of upward movement in real estate prices here in Youngstown, and the Massillon/Canton area.

On some social media pages I follow, a local listing will pop up with with a price that the local naysayers scoff at. But then it's under contract a few days later.

Old 11-02-2023, 09:09 AM

27,213 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowpat5 View Post
I just left FL and after a lot of research based primarily on affordable housing and decent public transit chose Toledo OH. My housing cost dropped almost 50% and after just a couple of attempts have found the job market much more responsive. Given your blue collar/trades experience I would highly suggest Cincinnati. https://www.cincinnati.com/story/new...t/69965345007/

If you prefer a smaller city, things are happening in Dayton where revitalization of commercial buildings is well underway. https://www.daytondailynews.com/loca...G5TLA4YHGRJQY/

Old 11-02-2023, 03:13 PM

189 posts, read 309,923 times
The cost of living in the Cincinnati area has gone up in recent years, mostly with groceries and housing (both home prices and rental rates). That said, I think that compared to places like FL, NY, CA, it is probably more affordable.

I work in construction and there is plenty of work in trades here right now. Back to affordable housing, you might get the most for your money outside the I-275 loop. Check out Clermont County areas which you may find affordable, though like I said, prices have gone up there as well.

Old 11-03-2023, 06:41 AM

4,141 posts, read 3,052,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
This is still a minor point, since you can still get a lot for your money. But I've been seeing plenty of upward movement in real estate prices here in Youngstown, and the Massillon/Canton area.

On some social media pages I follow, a local listing will pop up with with a price that the local naysayers scoff at. But then it's under contract a few days later.
Wooster, too. I was seeing that in my neighborhood. One of the City-Data naysayers scoffed when I quoted a realtor who said farmland was selling at $17,000 to $40,000 an acre in Wayne County. He seemed to think it should be $6,000 an acre. Not likely, as my land is appraised at $12,000 an acre for 2023.

Old 11-03-2023, 06:39 PM

2,503 posts, read 3,376,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blickcd View Post
The cost of living in the Cincinnati area has gone up in recent years, mostly with groceries and housing (both home prices and rental rates). That said, I think that compared to places like FL, NY, CA, it is probably more affordable.

I work in construction and there is plenty of work in trades here right now. Back to affordable housing, you might get the most for your money outside the I-275 loop. Check out Clermont County areas which you may find affordable, though like I said, prices have gone up there as well.
Or Middletown in Butler County between the two. Prices have risen rather fast and homes sell in less than 20 days but prices are still cheap compared to most of Florida. Lotsa tradespeople live in Middletown as it offers small-city living in the midst of a growing 3.200.000 market I call the CBD Metroplex. Huge mill in Middletown vso there are thousands of well paid blue collar folks in town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
View detailed profiles of: