Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 11:17 PM

471 posts, read 825,295 times

Advertisements

That's correct KCMO. Three young hoodlums were shot. They didn't die, although I'm sure death was the intent of whoever was pulling the trigger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2011, 11:24 PM

471 posts, read 825,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
My favorite part of KC is just east and south east of downtown. Especially Troost, Prospect and Paseo Aves. If your ever in KC check out this area, it goes on for miles and miles. I think this is an area KC can be proud of
Which happens to be just east of the Plaza, within walking distance. Eight tenths of a mile to be precise, between the east entrance to Country Club Plaza and the intersection of Troost & Emanuel Cleaver II Blvd. Those urban planners and developers really had it together when they sold that project to the public.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:08 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,876,006 times
Most "major" cities have rough areas that can be pretty close to the touristy or nice areas.

If you are scared to go to the plaza then I honestly feel sorry for you.

Not only is the plaza perfectly safe, so is the rest of the central urban corridor of KCMO (River Market, Downtown, Crossroads, Crown Center, Westport etc).

And unless you are a member of a gang or are selling drugs on the corner, the chances of you being a victim of a crime even in KC's rough areas are slim. You will be not shot or robbed just by driving down troost or prospect.

These replies prove the difference between OKC and KC. KC is a big city that has a big city urban core and is surrounded by suburbs. OKC is a giant suburb for the most part without all the things to do that KC has.

Old 09-05-2011, 02:18 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,500,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Most "major" cities have rough areas that can be pretty close to the touristy or nice areas.

Not only is the plaza perfectly safe, so is the rest of the central urban corridor of KCMO (River Market, Downtown, Crossroads, Crown Center, Westport etc).

And unless you are a member of a gang or are selling drugs on the corner, the chances of you being a victim of a crime even in KC's rough areas are slim. You will be not shot or robbed just by driving down troost or prospect.

These replies prove the difference between OKC and KC. KC is a big city that has a big city urban core and is surrounded by suburbs. OKC is a giant suburb for the most part without all the things to do that KC has.
>>>>>
KC is a big city that has a big city urban core and is surrounded by suburbs. OKC is a giant suburb for the most part without all the things to do that KC has.
<<<<<

Which is exactly why you shouldn't move here.

Old 09-05-2011, 05:54 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,250,180 times
Quote:

You forgot to mention KC is also the center of the universe. Maybe someday OKC and Tulsa will have a Central Urban corridor with unique neighborhoods, maybe someday we will have a downtown with tall buildings as tall or taller than KC...

Old 09-05-2011, 06:11 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,250,180 times
Quote:
Kansas City, Missouri 482,299 KC Metro Area 2,059,328
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 580,000 OKC Metro Area1,322,429

OK, I know I'm just a dumb Okie but I'm not getting your math.

Old 09-05-2011, 06:37 PM

17,778 posts, read 13,670,239 times
And did I read that KC has "slightly better weather"? Exactly how is it "slightly better"

Old 09-05-2011, 09:48 PM

Trust me, I don't think KC is the center of the universe. There are many cities I like better than KC. St Louis, Denver, Minneapolis, Chicago come to mind, plus many on the west coast and a few out east.

But I honestly don't think OKC compares very well to KC. When I said OKC is more like a giant suburb, I meant the feel of the metro. It just doesn't feel like a big city as much as KC does and even the central parts of OKC are very low density and not very built up compared to KC and considering KC is also very spread out, that's saying a lot.

OKC has come a long way, but it's still a ways off from offering what KC offers as far as amenities, museums, attractions, urban lifestyle options, nightlife, arts etc.

KC is bigger. It's nearly twice as big. It has 2.2 million people and that doesn't even include Lawrence or St Joe, both of which are 20-30 minutes from the metro.

I think KC has far more nice suburban areas to choose from and an urban core that is in a different league and just more to do and see so therefore a higher quality of life in my opinion.

I also think KC is built in a more appealing part of the country in the rolling hills, river valleys and bluffs and forests of the MO and KS rivers vs the more flat and barren country side of central OK. I like having a basement too, especially in an area of the country prone to severe wind weather (tornadoes, microbursts etc). The weather doesn't seem near as extreme in the summer in KC, maybe it is, but it sure doesn't seem like it. I also think KC is far less conservative than OKC which is a plus in my book.

KC is better connected via air. As a frequent traveler, I don’t want to have to connect through Dallas all the time. KC is much better connected with non stops to other big cities across the country than OKC is. I think KC's airport "terminal" sucks, but it's still a busy airport with 10-12 million passengers a year and is ranked the 36th busiest while OKC is the 68th.

As far as amenities alone (attractions, pro sports, museums, entertainment districts), I think OKC is 20-40 years out minimum from being where KC is today if OKC is even capable of doubling its size and adding comparable amenities in even that time period. By then, KC should be 3-4 million and have all the things that cities that size have though.

You can take all this as an insult I guess, but that would be childish. It is what it is.

The only reason I jumped into this thread is because of some posts about KC were quite unfair to KC. Using isolated incidents to make the city seem like a dangerous place is just absurd. If you really worry about stuff like that, then you probably never go into any large city because at one time or another unfortunate incidents have happened or will happen in just about any city, even in high profile touristy areas, but life goes on in those towns just like it does in KC.

I’m glad to see the changes in OKC lately. The NBA team, the new skyscraper, some of the urban planning downtown, but OKC and KC are still pretty far apart in my personal opinion.

Last edited by kcmo; 09-05-2011 at 10:09 PM..

Old 09-05-2011, 10:08 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,500,478 times
Quote:
Trust me, I don't think KC is the center of the universe. There are many cities I like better than KC. St Louis, Denver, Minneapolis, Chicago come to mind, plus many on the west coast and a few out east.

But I honestly don't think OKC compares very well to KC. When I said OKC is more like a giant suburb, I meant the feel of the metro. It just doesn't feel like a big city as much as KC does and even the central parts of OKC are very low density and not very built up compared to KC and considering KC is also very spread out, that's saying a lot.

OKC has come a long way, but it's still a ways off from offering what KC offers as far as amenities, museums, attractions, urban lifestyle options, nightlife, arts etc.

KC is bigger. It's nearly twice as big. It has 2.2 million people and that doesn't even include Lawrence or St Joe, both of which are 30 minutes from the metro.

I think KC has far more nice suburban areas to choose from and an urban core that is in a different league and just more to do and see so therefore a higher quality of life in my opinion.

I also think KC is built in a more appealing part of the country in the rolling hills, river valleys and bluffs and forests of the MO and KS rivers vs the more flat and barren country side of central OK. I like having a basement too, especially in an area of the country prone to severe wind weather (tornadoes, microbursts etc). The weather doesn't seem near as extreme in the summer in KC, maybe it is, but it sure doesn't seem like it. I also think KC is far less conservative than OKC which is a plus in my book.

KC is better connected via air. As a frequent traveler, I don’t want to have to connect through Dallas all the time. KC is much better connected with non stops to other big cities across the country than OKC is. I think KC's airport "terminal" sucks, but it's still a busy airport with 10-12 million passengers a year and is ranked the 36th busiest while OKC is the 68th.

As far as amenities alone (attractions, pro sports, museums, entertainment districts), I think OKC is 20-40 years out minimum from being where KC is today if OKC is even capable of doubling its size and adding comparable amenities in even that time period. By then, KC should be 3-4 million and have all the things that cities that size have though.

You can take all this as an insult I guess, but that would be childish. It is what it is.

The only reason I jumped into this thread is because of some posts about KC were quite unfair to KC. Using isolated incidents to make the city seem like a dangerous place is just absurd. If you really worry about stuff like that, then you probably never go into any large city because at one time or another unfortunate incidents have happened or will happen in just about any city, even in high profile touristy areas, but life goes on in those towns just like it does in KC.

I’m glad to see the changes in OKC lately. The NBA team, the new skyscraper, some of the urban planning downtown, but OKC and KC are still pretty far apart in my personal opinion.
Well, as the last few pages of dialogue have evidenced, I think the culture and people are just right here in the good ol' Indian Nations.

You keep your love for KC. We'll keep our OK City.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Well, as the last few pages of dialogue have evidenced, I think the culture and people are just right here in the good ol' Indian Nations.

You keep your love for KC. We'll keep our OK City.
I don't even live in KC anymore and there is a good possibility that I could be living in OKC in the next year or two.

So who knows. Maybe it will grow on me .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City