Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 12:09 PM

68 posts, read 182,798 times

Advertisements

I am considering relocating to either Kansas City (Overland Park) or Oklahoma City. I grew up in Kansas but have have heard really good things about OKC. I have also noticed that Oklahoma continues to have a pretty low unemployment rate. What are some opinions out there comparing the two cities? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 04:54 PM

242 posts, read 764,809 times
The major differences that I can think of are population size (KC: 2 million, OKC: 1.3 million) climate (KC: snowier and colder winter, OKC: hotter summer) major league sports (KC: NFL and MLB; OKC: NBA). In terms of demographics, Oklahoma City is slightly more diverse overall (KC 63% white vs OKC 60% white) with a greater Hispanic, Asian, and Native American population, while KC has a much greater African American population. Both have some very unique neighborhoods and attractions but I would say Kansas City's Country Club Plaza is one of the most high profile shopping areas in the country.

Old 09-02-2011, 07:09 PM

1,134 posts, read 3,188,627 times
The terrain around KC is prettier. It's hillier, greener, and the trees grow quite a bit taller. KC's economy is stable but OKC's seems to be a little bit better. OKC is a town that loves the NBA and college football. KC loves the Chiefs and college basketball. KC's shopping was head and shoulders above OKC, but with the new outlet malls opening in OKC, it helps to even things out. KC feels a little more like a major city. However there isn't much that one KC has that can't be found in OKC, even if on a smaller scale. OKC has bricktown, KC has Power and Light and the Plaza. Personally, I like the older neighborhoods in KC better than OKC. Neither city is knows for having great weather, but OKC's weather sucks, imo. In the last year they have been times where it rained 8 inches in a matter of a couple hours last year in Edmond. This year experienced drought and wildfiires that came as a result of the equivilent of 2 months of 100+ temperatures. Also, it seems tornadoes are frequent each year. The last 2 years have had huge snowstorms. One was over 8 inches. KC gets snowfall like that, but they are waaayy better equipped for it. Homes in KC have basements and unless it's an older home, they are built with a brick/stone facade and siding on the other 3 sides of the home. In OKC, no basements but usually full brick/stone. You don't see much siding in Oklahoma. OKC is close to Dallas, KC is a close, but a little further to St Louis. My advice, just go where you find the best job.

Old 09-02-2011, 08:50 PM

778 posts, read 2,321,803 times
I saw you had posted this same question in the Missouri thread. I was going to respond there because some of the answers you were getting were pretty odd, including someone who actually feared OKC. Um, okay. I actually have family in Kansas City area was pretty close to moving to St. Louis last year (and am still trying).

Truthfully I don't see any huge differences in the two. Maybe substitute Jayhawk and Chief hats for Sooner and Thunder hats lol. The main difference that boils down to it is KC is a bit bigger than OKC and will thus have a bit more to do. Even though OKC is slowly getting more stores, shopping in KC is way better. I would also rate cultural attractions in KC a bit better--they have some great museums up there--although OKC is no slouch in that department. Also, JMO but KC's climate is more temperate. Not as hot and it does tend to lack the schizo extremes we get here.

There are a few things I would rate being better in OKC. It strikes me as more culturally diverse than KC, which is surprising given than OKC is smaller. Lots of Asian, Hispanic and Native American culture here whereas in KC its black and white more or less. Also, this is just my opinion but OKC largely lacks the very rigid racial and socioeconomic segregation that really struck me last time I went to KC.

I don't know what type of job you are looking for. The economy here for the most part is doing very well though. I think its us and Washington DC has having the lowest unemployment rate for areas with 1 million +. The MAPs program and the strength of the energy and aerospace industries have really boosted OKC. I see now hiring signs all over this place. Keep in mind that the COL is low and this also mean wages will be low as well.

If you are interested in moving here I would suggest coming down for a visit. As your other thread shows, there are a lot of preconceived notions about OKC and OK in general (Everyone lives in teepees! There are tornadoes everyday!). And get off the highway. OKC doesn't look good from I-35 but the real jewels are usually deep in the city. It will obviously be up to you to see how you like it, but you may be surprised. I know I was.

Old 09-03-2011, 09:01 AM

471 posts, read 825,144 times
I spent most of my life in central Oklahoma before moving to Kansas City in 2002.

1. People in Oklahoma City tend to be much warmer & friendlier.

2. People in OKC are better drivers. Probably because people are allowed to drive instead of having to always worry about those little Nazis with the radar guns out raising revenue for the city.

3. People in OKC tend to be more ethical. See point #1. Although in regard to #1 & #3 it tends to vary wildly depending on where you are in the KC area. Some areas, like the area north of the river on the Missouri side people are almost as warm, friendly and ethical as Okies. While the Independence and Blue Springs area may as well be some of the other places that are famous for rudeness and shady dealing.

4. OKC is cheaper in regard to taxes and other living expenses. In KC you pay a 1% income tax if you work there or live there. I don't believe that Overland Park has this tax, but prices are still higher than OKC. And I got much more in the way of quality city services in OKC when I lived there. Here, trash pickup has always been a hassle in one way or another. In OKC I put it at the curb and forgot about it. Here it seems that the drama never really ends...

5. The Missouri side of the KC metro is beautiful, as are the northern parts on the Kansas side that are in the Missouri River bluffs. On the south Kansas side around Overland Park & Olathe, you may as well be in OKC except the humidity is noticeably higher and the winters are longer and colder.

6. Back in '05 or '06 St. Louis & KC were both in the top 5 highest crime metros in the US. That will increase as state governments go broke ans look for creative ways to release inmates early. The state government budget in Kansas is a mess.

A couple of weeks ago on the Plaza the KCMO mayor was giving a speech and a gunbattle erupted and the Mayor, from his position face-down in a flowerbed, decided that a curfew of the Plaza was a good idea. Three young hoodlums were killed in that shootout. I don't know if you're familiar with the Plaza, but it's KC's pride-and-joy shopping area. The Plaza has been plagued with mobs of teenagers creating mayhem this summer. The other day on a national news program I heard KC mentioned with Philadelphia as a place where "flashmobs" are known to be a problem.

Old 09-03-2011, 06:17 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,871,538 times
Nobody was killed in that "shootout". This is simply an issue with late night kids with little parental control congregating in entertainment districts late at night. It's been a problem in KC for a long time and it's a problem in most big cities.

Having said that, it's not a problem that would affect 99.9% of the people that visit the plaza and it looks like they have stopped it (although it will eventually happen again in another area).

The plaza to totally safe and I wouldn't think twice about taking my family or kids there.

As far as OKC vs KC. KC is just a much more urban city than OKC. The metro is nearly twice a large and there is a lot more to do and see in KC. Metro KC and especially urban KCMO is less conservative, it has better topography and slightly better weather. The homes have basements and the suburbs blow away the best suburbs of OKC.

KC is just a more mature and urban city with more attractions, museums, amusement parks, pro sports etc.

It's not that OKC is bad, it just doesn’t compare very well to KC.

Old 09-03-2011, 09:42 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,249,758 times
My favorite part of KC is just east and south east of downtown. Especially Troost, Prospect and Paseo Aves. If your ever in KC check out this area, it goes on for miles and miles. I think this is an area KC can be proud of

Old 09-03-2011, 09:50 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,249,758 times
A big disadvantages of living in Johnson Country are the traffic backups on I-35. Seems the "Beautiful People" from Johnson Country can't seem to get their noses under the Antioch Bridge.

Old 09-04-2011, 03:41 PM

68 posts, read 182,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
My favorite part of KC is just east and south east of downtown. Especially Troost, Prospect and Paseo Aves. If your ever in KC check out this area, it goes on for miles and miles. I think this is an area KC can be proud of

Riiiiight. I have had to drive through those areas growing up and I would highly recommend not checking out those areas unless you are fully armed. I appreciate all the responses. I think I am going to take a trip to OKC and check it out for myself. I may make a stop in Tulsa too. It seems a little more upscale than OKC.

Old 09-04-2011, 11:01 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
A big disadvantages of living in Johnson Country are the traffic backups on I-35. Seems the "Beautiful People" from Johnson Country can't seem to get their noses under the Antioch Bridge.
Oh you mean all the fake plastic people on their iphones and cells driving SUVs and not paying any attention JOCO has that in spades!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City