Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 08:47 AM

641 posts, read 1,072,319 times

Advertisements

I hate to say it again, but Tulsa is about as midwestern as it is southern... Not many real southerners in my neighborhood, but people with midwestern and yankee ties yes. Not many southern accents around here. Tulsa has a manufacturing history with its oil, yankee and midwestern investors built much of the city. There has always been quite a bit of midwestern style industry, steel processing, machinists, etc.

So, blanket statements about Oklahoma are problematic.

Last edited by teakboat; 04-18-2018 at 08:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2018, 03:13 PM

17,778 posts, read 13,670,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teakboat View Post
I hate to say it again, but Tulsa is about as midwestern as it is southern... Not many real southerners in my neighborhood, but people with midwestern and yankee ties yes. Not many southern accents around here. Tulsa has a manufacturing history with its oil, yankee and midwestern investors built much of the city. There has always been quite a bit of midwestern style industry, steel processing, machinists, etc.

So, blanket statements about Oklahoma are problematic.
Agreed. While southern is the main thing it's not the only thing.

Old 06-02-2018, 10:55 PM

161 posts, read 273,604 times
Never been to Oklahoma. Geographically, it appears to be Midwest.

Culturally and linguistically, I wouldn't know.

Old 07-08-2018, 09:43 PM

8 posts, read 13,410 times
Or you can find a Bostonian who pisses everyone off because thats where I am from..sorry?

Old 07-09-2018, 11:11 AM

8 posts, read 13,410 times
No one noticed my accent until I moved to Oklahoma from Boston. It is hard enough being from a Jewish neighborhood w. Jewish family and a biracial family, as well as a gay brother with a partner I love. Welcome to the bible belt buckle. Someone I work with said I talked different and it annoyed her. She treated me awful. And HR after looking for a job for years told me "I talk different"....mind you different viewpoints....so I guess that allows hostile unprofessional behavior. Hope you have more tolerance in this state.

Old 11-09-2018, 03:47 PM

1 posts, read 926 times
Oklahoma is in the middle of all the regions of the US. Every part of the state is different, it's a plaid pattern East Oklahoma, which is about Tulsa to Durant to the Red River. West Oklahoma is like the panhandle and a little strip east of it, North is Kansas border to Greater OKC, South is ada to Texas Panhandle to Arkansas. Central is all of them. That's Greater OKC. I've grown up in Greater OKC from Norman to Oklahoma City (Not Edmond), and I sound like I speak Urban Boston-Urban Chicago-New York City all in one. I don't say y'all, I say you guys, as does everyone else I know. The point is, Oklahoma is a culture orgy. Most cities have their own cultural borders in them. My cultural border is a New York-Boston. Oklahoma was settled by New Yorkers, Chicagoians, Californians, Texans, Louisiani, the entire US. I mean, I was taught by my school the confederacy was evil and the south sucks and that the north is better. Every little part of the state is different.

Last edited by St-Brice; 11-09-2018 at 03:57 PM..

Old 08-12-2019, 01:31 PM

2 posts, read 1,719 times
Oklahoma is the SOUTH! Born and raised in OKC! you will see cows, chickens, pigs, deer, and people riding horses in the city! I worked at a call center years ago and I would speak to people from all over the U.S. Numerous times people would comment on my southern accent and one man from Boston told me I sound like a southern bell. I’ve always thought OKC was a smaller version of Dallas. My grandparents moved to OKC from Arkansas in the 50s when my mother was maybe 3 years old. My husband is from Illinois and he has trouble understanding some of my family because of their southern accents. You’ll see cowboy hats boots and wranglers and sweet tea is offered at every store/restaurant you go to. Can’t forget that we say yall and fixin to!

Old 09-01-2019, 01:19 PM

47 posts, read 43,442 times
^^^ We have all of that minus the sweet tea in Nebraska/SD.

The two regions are pretty similar

Old 09-01-2019, 02:59 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,551,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiserableInNebraska View Post

The Great Lakes region of the Midwest has very little in common with most of the Great Plains states. However, the transition between the Midwest and West is around 100 degrees longitude.

Old 09-01-2019, 05:11 PM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiserableInNebraska View Post

I may not be a native but you are incorrect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City