Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 09:36 AM

533 posts, read 1,712,126 times

Advertisements

I think the people who are telling her to "come on down" are just flat wrong.

Oklahoma City is not at all like the place she describes as the place she wants to live. Her post does not at all appear to be uncertain about what she wants and her analysis of Oklahoma City in terms of those expectations seems pretty accurate -- at least to me.

It doesn't appear the job itself is particularly great and she is young at 20; so, I see no reason at all not to confirm what she already knows about Oklahoma City and tell her that she's not going to find what she wants here.

And, since she is young and since that time of life is so fleeting, it just seems better to me that she find another job that lets her stay in San Francisco where she admits her heart really is.

The alternative, given what she wants, is to actually relocate to one of the rather few cities in the United States that could actually afford her the opportunity to live the lifestyle she seeks.

In 10 or 15 years she may want something entirely different.

But right now her post does not seem ambiguous to me about what she wants.

She's my granddaughters' age so I am saying nothing to her that I wouldn't say to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2013, 01:19 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,264,404 times
I agree mostly with flintysooner above. I am a twentysomething and politically moderate and I moved here to OKC last summer from the wonderful city of Charlotte, North Carolina.

First I want to point out that OKC is not completely devoid of culture like the stereotypes would have you believe. There are festivals and events catering to creative types. There are walkable districts and there are liberals here. There are decent restaurants and there is some nightlife though it tends to be very college oriented or country. OKC had a great zoo and a couple of decent waterparks.

That said, the quality and abundance of the above things doesn't match even peer cities, let alone major cultural meccas like San Francisco. OKC boosters like to act like this city has arrived and competes well among its peers. The truth is this city is getting better year after year, but is still very behind where most cities this size are.

Charlotte is not a top cultural center nor is it one of the most progressive cities in the country, but moving to OKC from Charlotte has been a major adjustment for me. Overall, this is a great city for people with families. Housing is cheap here and you can really live well if you are in the right field. I have to say its not the best place to be young and single though. Most people here get married and have kids in their early 20s or move to DFW or Austin.

Another thing to consider is the weather/climate. OKC is in the bullseye of tornado alley and every April and May can bring very scary, destructive weather. Summers are very hot and winters very cold. Rainfall is plentiful but not consistent enough to support the majestic forests that dominate the eastern United States. All in all its not the greatest climate and there is very little scenery.

I have been very hard on OKC in this post and I apologize if I offend anybody, I just think people should know what they are getting into before moving here because boosters can sometimes be disingenuous. You have to really evaluate whether your reasons for coming here are worth the trade-offs.

I want to end by saying OKC can be a great place to live if you are willing to accept the negatives. Like one of the posters above say, be open minded and enjoy the city for what it does offer and not what it does not. That can be difficult for out of state transplants but it can be done and many do.

Old 04-19-2013, 01:23 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,595,765 times
Default Liberal and young...need a place to live that's hopefully progressive and dare I say, cute

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfgirl101 View Post
I'm 20, from San Francisco and will likely be moving to OKC around September (shudder). I know this will be a huge change from what I'm used to, but I'm really trying to make the best of it and look on the bright side.

She has already made up her mind and is leaning toward living and working in OKC and LOOKING ON THE
BRIGHT SIDE

Quote:
I will be working near Western and 73rd, but will have a car. I'd like to live relatively close to work, but I've never been to OKC, so I'm not too familiar with the area. I've heard the Plaza and Paseo districts are the most progressive. I'd like to live in a studio apartment, preferably for under $900 a month (at least it's far cheaper than SF!), and wouldn't mind being close to a nice grocery store (like Whole Foods or another natural market). If possible, I'd like to live in an urban-feeling area, maybe above a storefront or something like that...I don't particularly want to be in some huge apartment/condo complex off a highway.

Quote:
Any tips? Which areas should I be looking at? I've read some things about OKC experiencing a bit of a Renaissance at the moment, and from the little research I've done online, it does seem like there's a growing arts community and more interest in food, from local coffee roasters to ethnic cuisine. Please tell me this is the truth! I'm hoping this is just a temporary stint, as I'm definitely a city girl at heart (have lived in NYC, Seattle, SF, Washington DC, Chicago, etc.) and enjoy shopping, going to farmers' markets, museums, etc. Any like-minded OKC residents out there who could help steer me in the right direction?
Back up some and let a liberal into Oklahoma she's has the right attitude to survive a short stint here
and broaden her life experiences tremendously...geezzzz

Old 04-19-2013, 04:16 PM

533 posts, read 1,712,126 times
Leaning isn't exactly definite to me nor is "likely be moving" while "shudder" and "trying to make the best of it" and "hoping this is just a temporary stint" seems to indicate a much more certain attitude.

Now if this is a job move that is necessary for her career then that's another thing. I know Howest2008 definitely knows about having to move for a career. If that's the case and I loved that career enough then I'd do the same thing she says she's doing which is try to make the best of it and hope it's really a short stay.

I'd feel the same way she does about having to move to San Francisco from Oklahoma City. Actually I wouldn't do it and change careers. Really difficult for me to understand why anyone wants to live there. And, yes, I have been there. And, of course, at my age I understand that careers aren't exactly what one thinks they are when one is 20.

But if I feel entitled to my preferences it seems the least I should do is afford others the same courtesy.

Old 04-19-2013, 04:55 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,595,765 times
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by flintysooner View Post
Leaning isn't exactly definite to me
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
nor is "likely be moving" while "shudder" and "trying to make the best of it" and "hoping this is just a temporary stint" seems to indicate a much more certain attitude.
You're right.........trying to make the best of it does on the other hand....

Quote:
Quote:
Now if this is a job move that is necessary for her career then that's another thing. I know Howest2008 definitely knows about having to move for a career. If that's the case and I loved that career enough then I'd do the same thing she says she's doing which is try to make the best of it and hope it's really a short stay.
[QUOTE]
Quote:
]
Quote:
I'd feel the same way she does about having to move to San Francisco from Oklahoma City.
Quote:

Actually I wouldn't do it and change careers. Really difficult for me to understand why anyone wants to live there. And, yes, I have been there. And, of course, at my age I understand that careers aren't exactly what one thinks they are when one is 20.

But if you asked me I would tell you about Rio Vista Calif......Fairfeild Calif and Winter Calif they would have
you packing your bags post haste , because they would be conservative enough for your taste and lifestyle you would have a hoot out there and even enjoyed the commute ' that is if you drove down to Vallejo Calif and took the FERRY IN TO SAN FRANCISCO everyday....LOL.

Rio Vista Calif
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...mg.xFqjHNceXB8

Winters Calif
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...w=1366&bih=663

Fairfield Calif

Vallejo San Francisco Ferry

Last edited by Howest2008; 04-19-2013 at 05:14 PM..

Old 04-19-2013, 05:38 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,264,404 times
Quote:
Leaning isn't exactly definite to me nor is "likely be moving" while "shudder" and "trying to make the best of it" and "hoping this is just a temporary stint" seems to indicate a much more certain attitude.

I'd feel the same way she does about having to move to San Francisco from Oklahoma City. Actually I wouldn't do it and change careers. Really difficult for me to understand why anyone wants to live there. And, yes, I have been there. And, of course, at my age I understand that careers aren't exactly what one thinks they are when one is 20.

But if I feel entitled to my preferences it seems the least I should do is afford others the same courtesy.
Oklahoma City, in my opinion, is livable enough that it's worth doing if its a great career move. I could have stayed in Charlotte but that would have meant staying in my telemarketing job or working hourly retail i.e. being very underemployed. I moved to OKC and have a great job here and its also giving me great experience towards my career. Plus my family is in Fort Smith and they really pushed for me to move to OKC. As is, I will probably for sure try to move to DFW or Houston within the next couple of years as this town is just too conservative and sleepy for my tastes and am finding myself drinking way too much due to boredom. If the OP knows this will be temporary and if its a good career move for her, it might not be a bad thing to try. If she knows she will be miserable, she should try to find another avenue.

Old 04-20-2013, 03:22 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,427,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
That's terrifying.

Old 04-20-2013, 03:38 PM

374 posts, read 807,674 times
Liberals should probably keep looking.

Old 04-20-2013, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
That's terrifying.
The Lost Ogle The 20 Hottest Women in the Oklahoma City Media (15 – 11) | The Lost Ogle

Old 04-20-2013, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachj7 View Post
I moved here from SF area to OKC area and I am liberal. PM me if you want the scoop. It's not as bad as you think. If you are a true liberal, you will come with an open mind and accept what it has to offer instead of a closed mind. Yes it's a ton different and I do miss a big urban city with excellent grocery stores, amazing restaurants, and a diverse worldly population however OKC is going through it's time right now and is changing for the better. I don't think it will be as bad as you think. I have come to like this place over time. It certainly has a long ways to go but it really isn't that bad. I enjoy living here.
Yes, because Oklahoma City doesn't have any of these excellent grocery stores or amazing restaurants. We all know how you Californians don't consider it culture unless it came from somewhere else in the World. Sorry we didn't have all these worldly people you need to maintain your identity.

We just aren't as sophisticated as the genetically advanced Californian. Maybe one day we can aspire to be on your level. I'm so sorry you had to come down off your pedestal and live among us commoners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City