Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 04:54 PM

1,586 posts, read 6,756,943 times

Advertisements

Thanks all...

Gunnluvver-Casa Bonita is long gone in Oklahoma. It originated in OKC and the last one in Oklahoma closed down in Tulsa. One exists in Denver.
Synopsis- Your wife would really enjoy the foods they bring in. That is the reason why all the Pho/Asian cuisine restaurants have such fresh, great food. Many people shop there for all kinds of products so it attracts many different customers. I realized many items/produce and stuff were cheaper and better so I frequent it often. They also have an outside produce "farmers market" for the summer. One of the managers had me put my camera away after some of those pics...It was rather funny.
Case-Only in Oklahoma are we crazy enough to have oil derricks on the State Capital grounds but it represents the entire State very well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2008, 09:22 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,617,953 times
I'm so hungry for a number 1 sub from the milk bottle store. Is it called Saigon Baguette now? I have to take the peppers off but it is still fiery hot just from the peppers touching the other ingredients.

Old 01-02-2008, 09:51 AM

I had a chicken yesterday! It has always been called Saigon Baguette because it is an infusion of Vietnamese and French cuisine. The peppers are still really hot! But I have become accustomed to them.

Looks like I wont be participating with Mick Cornett in the OKC weight loss program!!

Old 01-02-2008, 10:19 AM

I though the restaurant used to be called Bahn Me Bali (sp?) I've never had a sandwich anywhere else anything close to their flavor.

Old 01-02-2008, 10:50 AM

Your right Peggy. I have heard it being called Saigon Baguette for at least 6-8 yrs?? The sign I took a picture of recently, has it spelled Bahn Mi Bali (French/Vietnamese sandwich). Go figure...I take a pic and I didnt even realize that it was the former name...Duh. I know that name didnt last for very long...I have noticed that many rests take on the same name in Cali.

Old 01-02-2008, 01:25 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,862,231 times
In 1969 The Paseo district was becoming a trendy area after being known as a skid rows previously. Is it still upscale?

The traffic circle from the 39th Street Xpressway to Claasen Ave. Is it still there? I spent a lot of time on my hopped up XLCH going around and around that thing.

Another ride I liked was the one around Lake Hefner. There was a beautiful dip and rise on the Northeast side of Hefner that had a ten MPH speed limit on it. On a motorcycle you could stay airborne for quite a ways if you hit it at anything above 30 MPH.

Swerving to run over Tarantulas was another great thing to do on a motocycle on country roads. I guess I can confess to these foibles now since the statute of limitations expired many years ago.

GL2

Old 01-02-2008, 03:19 PM

GL2- The Paseo district went down hill in the eighties like everything in OKC because of the oil bust. Since around 2000 the district has seen good growth with new shops, restaurants, bars and of course art galleries with working artists.
Here is the website...
The Paseo Arts District - 26k -

I think the loop you are talking about def still exists...It sure does have a thrill quality to it...I had a V-Max for a while and had some fun on the roads in OKC. Lots of highways/interstates that loop around the city.

Western Ave has grown also...
Visit Western Avenue - Oklahoma City's Unique Shopping, Dining & Entertainment District! - 35k -

Last edited by happytown; 01-02-2008 at 03:27 PM..

Old 01-02-2008, 05:25 PM

The Classen circle has been gone for quite some time. I thought that was fun to drive.

I think the dip on the lake road is still there. I seem to remember one of my boyfriends taking that too fast.

Old 01-02-2008, 06:24 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,862,231 times
Happytown,
Thanks for that map of Western Ave. The duplex that I lived in for most of 1969 was about 1/2 mile South of Wilshire on the East side of Western. There were very few businesses there at that time. Wilshire and Western had a grocery store but I can't remember the name.

In the late 1970 just off of Western on about 89th Street a Greek Restaurant opened. Wow, my mouth waters just thinking about their food. Another thing I liked about that area were the bake sales that the churches in the area had. The Greek Orthodox and the Catholic Ladies had some serious competition when they had a bake sale. I am still carrying around at least twenty pounds that I gained from eating the delicious desserts that I bought at those bake sales. Have I ever mentioned I love great food?

GL2

Old 01-03-2008, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peggydavis View Post
The Classen circle has been gone for quite some time. I thought that was fun to drive.

I think the dip on the lake road is still there. I seem to remember one of my boyfriends taking that too fast.
Peggy, was Classen circle over there near Ednas and the Hi-Lo? I am thinking it was replaced by Classen Ext.(goes past the Belle Isle shopping center and Rose Hill Burial park). I feel as stupid as Bob Stoops with that onside kick...LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City