Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 07:35 PM

5,549 posts, read 9,553,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
It wasn't "allowed". Kid was charged, plead guilty and was sentenced. The fact that he was actually assaulted first and the fact that he had just turned 18 the day before and had no previous criminal record played into the fact into the fact that they didn't lock him up for 20 years.
This.

The kid paid his dues and has done everything that's been asked of him.

The young lady, if we're calling her that, will be compensated nicely in the near future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2016, 09:34 PM

793 posts, read 1,121,906 times
Norman is a great place in general, and great for families.

Old 12-29-2016, 08:05 AM

1,141 posts, read 1,357,649 times
I should have written "allowed to play football".

Old 12-29-2016, 09:40 AM

17,933 posts, read 13,888,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartGotts View Post
I should have written "allowed to play football".
This is actually an interesting point.

In the months previous to the Mixon incident, there were three college athletes that had incidences where they hit women. One at Miss. State, one at LSU and one at Texas Tech. All three were "allowed" to continue playing football after these incidents. All three received a few games suspensions.

So the precedent was not to kick guys off the team for hitting women. Mixon was suspended from the team for a season.

Not out of line for the punishment given these other players. Video nonwithstanding.

Now back to whether Norman is a good place to raise a family.

Old 12-29-2016, 04:30 PM

I like Norman. Been there many times going back 30 years. The people from the area all have nice things to say about it.

I want to clear up my previous position. It really bothered me how Norman would not release the Mixon assault tape. I feel it was solely due to him being a star athlete and after it was seen, there was no way a year as a redshirt was going to cut it. I've been in a few of the bars around campus, I was in O'Connells(?) pub when Bosworth came in with an entourage, quite a sight back then. I've seen the interaction of the athletes and the other students.
So, my problem is with the culture of OU Football infiltrating local decisions in Norman. That is my only knock on Norman.

Old 12-29-2016, 04:58 PM

24,923 posts, read 11,355,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartGotts View Post
I like Norman. Been there many times going back 30 years. The people from the area all have nice things to say about it.

I want to clear up my previous position. It really bothered me how Norman would not release the Mixon assault tape. I feel it was solely due to him being a star athlete and after it was seen, there was no way a year as a redshirt was going to cut it. I've been in a few of the bars around campus, I was in O'Connells(?) pub when Bosworth came in with an entourage, quite a sight back then. I've seen the interaction of the athletes and the other students.
So, my problem is with the culture of OU Football infiltrating local decisions in Norman. That is my only knock on Norman.
Have you been to any other college town with a successful foot ball team? OU is basically it from TShirts at WallyWorld to colors of SUVs.

Old 12-29-2016, 05:03 PM

I'm from the Northeast, it's nothing like that out here, not even close.

Old 12-29-2016, 11:42 PM

783 posts, read 581,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
It wasn't "allowed". Kid was charged, plead guilty and was sentenced. The fact that he was actually assaulted first and the fact that he had just turned 18 the day before and had no previous criminal record played into the fact into the fact that they didn't lock him up for 20 years.
He should never have been charged in the first place. When someone attacks you, you have a right to defend yourself, even if...GASP!...it's a woman attacking a man. And he didn't pummel her repeatedly until she was unconscious. He hit her once to stop her from attacking him and then left. Colleges and universities are spending a ton of resources teaching men not to hit/rape/offend women. Well, maybe they should start expending a tiny bit of those resources teaching women that 'equal rights' doesn't mean that you get to wail on a guy and he has to take it.

Sorry to hijack your thread OP.

Old 01-01-2017, 08:14 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,278,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Yes. It's also very tornado-friendly.
You mean NOT tornado-friendly, right? (Most tornadoes end up missing Norman. Of course, this could be just happenstance but it is something you will hear locals talk about).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
View detailed profiles of: