Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 02:42 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,255,718 times

Advertisements

Have you considered Dallas/Fort Worth? The schools are way better than Oklahoma, their highways makes Oklahoma's roads look like a joke. Oklahoma does not have an international airport, DFW is an international airport. No sales tax on groceries, no income tax. Housing is the same price as it is in Oklahoma, but property taxes are higher. In a lot of cases, your savings on state income tax and grocery Texas is greater than what you would be paying in property taxes. I have heard that homeowners insurance is cheaper there too.

Texans strives to make everything in Texas better than anywhere else, we Okies think mediocre is good enough. Our highways Right-of-ways are covered in litter, shredded tires and road kill. Once a bridge is built in Oklahoma, it will never be maintained again. You will see it rusting, chunks of concrete falling off, and covered in dirt and sand. After a snowstorm, our bridges are covered in sand and salt, the only time you'll ever see them cleaned off is during a heavy rain.

Okie politicians will tell you that education is their number one priority, but that is a flat out lie. If it is truly, their number one priority, then why are we spending less money on education today than we were eight years ago? Why are we on the bottom or near the bottom on every category that has to do with education? I think there is only one state that pays their teachers less than Oklahoma. One third of Oklahoma schools are on a four day week, the reason for this is so the teachers can find a part-time job.

I didn't mean for this post to be so negative, but you had a list of things that you were expecting, and some of them just do not pan out here in Oklahoma.

Good luck on finding a new home!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2017, 08:37 AM

31 posts, read 42,849 times
I know the DFW area well from people who live there and seriously considered Austin & San Antonio. My two biggest issues; crime off the charts (Dallas) and real estate out of my budget for the nice areas (can you say oil money?). Summer heat is also an issue. As for the four-day school week, that has not been discussed by either the Edmond or Deer Creek school districts. Infrastructure? I live in Vietnam, so don't even go there!

The OKC housing market dropped w/the price of oil and other areas of the country rose in with California migration and the recovering job market (Texas, Denver). Its nice to shop in a buyers market......

Old 02-08-2017, 06:42 PM

2,077 posts, read 2,020,587 times
Oh believe me OKC /Oklahoma has crime - the folks seemed to be mighty rough on kids there and was alot of meth . I lived there three years . I work and live within the racing horse industry and I always say I "DID" three years there instead of I "LIVED" there for three years .. I am quite left of center but was born into a Texas ranching family so I just ignore all the Bubbas coming onto me only because I showered daily and wore a little make up . I lived WAY WAY OUT but have worked at Remington Park and yep back in the day Blue Ribbon Downs that was in the eastern part of the state . Schools at that time were utterly HORRIBLE . Not nearly enough money goes to them so they always had an issue with basic materials and help for anyone that had any sort of learning disability.

Old 02-09-2017, 05:34 AM

24,634 posts, read 10,958,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cboatner View Post

The OKC housing market dropped w/the price of oil and other areas of the country rose in with California migration and the recovering job market (Texas, Denver). Its nice to shop in a buyers market......
Internet knowledge? It may be a buyer's market for cookie cutter 3 br 1500 sqf builder grade starter homes or fixer uppers way out.

Old 02-09-2017, 09:23 AM

17,820 posts, read 13,733,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchessCottonPuff View Post
Oh believe me OKC /Oklahoma has crime - the folks seemed to be mighty rough on kids there and was alot of meth . I lived there three years . I work and live within the racing horse industry and I always say I "DID" three years there instead of I "LIVED" there for three years .. I am quite left of center but was born into a Texas ranching family so I just ignore all the Bubbas coming onto me only because I showered daily and wore a little make up . I lived WAY WAY OUT but have worked at Remington Park and yep back in the day Blue Ribbon Downs that was in the eastern part of the state . Schools at that time were utterly HORRIBLE . Not nearly enough money goes to them so they always had an issue with basic materials and help for anyone that had any sort of learning disability.
The poster is asking about Edmond. Not some redneck town where you "did your three years."

Edmond stacks up pretty well with most suburban towns anywhere. The core of town still feels small townish despite the growth. The community is not completely made up of the uber wealthy like many suburban areas of many cities. The east side of town is forested and that makes Edmond somewhat unique in this area.

And the schools hold up well compared to peer communities around the country.

Much of Oklahoma is like you described. Edmond isn't.

Old 02-09-2017, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
The poster is asking about Edmond. Not some redneck town where you "did your three years."

Edmond stacks up pretty well with most suburban towns anywhere. The core of town still feels small townish despite the growth. The community is not completely made up of the uber wealthy like many suburban areas of many cities. The east side of town is forested and that makes Edmond somewhat unique in this area.

And the schools hold up well compared to peer communities around the country.

Much of Oklahoma is like you described. Edmond isn't.
Well said! Big difference between OKC/northern suburbs.

Old 02-09-2017, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Internet knowledge? It may be a buyer's market for cookie cutter 3 br 1500 sqf builder grade starter homes or fixer uppers way out.
Yesterday a realtor in the DenMetro area sent me 11 home listings priced between $320-$375K and by the evening three of the listings were under contract.

By contrast, my Edmond search listing features eight houses listed under $270K that have been on the market over 90 days with 1+ price reduction-none of which are more than a 20 min. drive from the city.

Old 02-10-2017, 06:59 AM

24,634 posts, read 10,958,690 times
Quote:
Yesterday a realtor in the DenMetro area sent me 11 home listings priced between $320-$375K and by the evening three of the listings were under contract.

By contrast, my Edmond search listing features eight houses listed under $270K that have been on the market over 90 days with 1+ price reduction-none of which are more than a 20 min. drive from the city.
It all depends on what you consider desirable.

Old 06-30-2020, 08:29 PM

Three years in-no complaints!

Old 07-06-2020, 09:05 AM

17,820 posts, read 13,733,143 times
Quote:
Three years in-no complaints!
Glad you are doing well. Now we just need to get Chicago Dude on this thread to give you the REAL low down.

What I've alway liked about Edmond is that despite the fact that it has morphed into a suburban anytown for the most part it still has that small sleepy college town in it's core.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City