Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 07:47 PM

31 posts, read 42,872 times

Advertisements

My family is considering a move from overseas to a State/town that features the following;

1) Four seasons
2) A fair degree of social capital
3) Centrist-right politics (modest government/taxation, responsible spending)
4) Decent infrastructure (roads & proximity to International airports) and
5) Four-bedroom homes for under $300K.

The Denver-metro area fit the bill but we have been priced out of that market and subsequently Edmund, Ok. came to my attention via high nationwide ranking for livability.

I find Edmond appealing due to home purchasing power and abundant inventory (turmoil in the oil & gas industry?), good PS, public safety, amenities, parks & recreation, proximity to metro area & Int'l. airport and 50% reduction in drive time to family home.

Seems like a lot of pluses in light of the most glaring drawback of high tornado activity. I spoke with a realtor who said that home hazard insurance will run about 1% of home value and I find that to be a fair tradeoff in light of home prices and property taxes I was paying on smaller homes in more costly & densely populated areas of the country (Wash., DC & Silicon Valley).

I am interested in feedback based upon people's personal experience with Edmond vs. my perspective of Edmond and personal expectations for a community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2017, 08:04 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,831,192 times
1) Oklahoma's four seasons aren't as defined as farther north or east. Because of its location, this place can experience all four seasons easily in one month. The only months that are predictable are June through September, when it's going to be hot. Winters are usually a roller coaster between mild and very cold temperatures.

2) What do you mean by "social capital"?

3) Edmond is right of center-right. It's highly churchgoing and highly Republican. It's not as far right as rural Oklahoma however

4) In terms of highways, Oklahoma City has one of the best networks for a city its size I've seen. It has its problems (notably interchanges) but it's almost always easy to get around the metro area

5) You will find plenty of that in Central Oklahoma, though home prices in Edmond are a bit higher than they are elsewhere in the OKC metro. You can probably get more house for your money a little farther west in the Deer Creek area.

Old 01-25-2017, 08:20 PM

By social capital I mean a community that values social networks and addresses challenges from a logical standpoint for the common good.

Last edited by cboatner; 01-25-2017 at 09:15 PM..

Old 01-26-2017, 06:02 AM

24,663 posts, read 11,001,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cboatner View Post
By social capital I mean a community that values social networks and addresses challenges from a logical standpoint for the common good.
I still do not get it. ???

300k will get you a 4 br basic builder cookie cutter.

To me Edmond seems a bit too much artsy fartsy wannabe. A club for this a club for that, a breakfast for this, a luncheon for that, volunter for everything you can imagine.

Will Rogers is it as far as airports go. A 3 1/2 hour drive to DFW is always an option. Roads are mostly ok. Traffic reporting is up to date and on real time.

This is our second year in the area. Summer 2016 was warm but only a few days got close to the 100s. Fall lasted at least two days and so far winter was a few cold days followed by days in the 60-70s. The al ist constant wind was an adjustment for me.

Old 01-26-2017, 08:16 PM

"To me Edmond seems a bit too much artsy fartsy wannabe. A club for this a club for that, a breakfast for this, a luncheon for that, volunteer for everything you can imagine."

You have described social capital.

Old 01-31-2017, 05:31 PM

241 posts, read 432,448 times
Wtf

Old 02-01-2017, 01:04 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,680,212 times
Since I can't relate to the nonsense in the "social capital" comment, I think Edmond is a good choice. If you don't like arts festivals, and social events, don't go to them. The wooded, somewhat hilly area just to the northeast of there on Route 66 with Lake Arcadia is one of the most scenic parts of the Oklahoma City area. Edmond doesn't draw tornadoes as much as Moore, but for piece of mind, it would be good to have a home with a storm shelter.

Old 02-01-2017, 01:37 PM

7,893 posts, read 11,430,184 times
I have lived in areas with tornados ,hurricanes and floods. Been in a couple of earthquakes too. Rank of worst to me is earthquakes, floodimg, hurricanes and tornado. Tornados impact only a small area typically and pass through quick. Today's technology makes predicting them with 10 to 20 minutes warning possible, at least for channel 8 in dfw meteorologist Pete dalkus. Hurricane are more predictable with greater notice nut the length of time and broad impact is pretty tough.whichmis much like flooding but with less warning or predictability of impact by aeea.

I wouldn't sweat the tornado as a big change but this social capital thing, I understood artsy first better as may most okies. May need a language course on okies talk.

Old 02-01-2017, 05:56 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,520,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cboatner View Post
My family is considering a move from overseas to a State/town that features the following;

1) Four seasons
2) A fair degree of social capital
3) Centrist-right politics (modest government/taxation, responsible spending)
4) Decent infrastructure (roads & proximity to International airports) and
5) Four-bedroom homes for under $300K.

The Denver-metro area fit the bill but we have been priced out of that market and subsequently Edmund, Ok. came to my attention via high nationwide ranking for livability.

I find Edmond appealing due to home purchasing power and abundant inventory (turmoil in the oil & gas industry?), good PS, public safety, amenities, parks & recreation, proximity to metro area & Int'l. airport and 50% reduction in drive time to family home.

Seems like a lot of pluses in light of the most glaring drawback of high tornado activity. I spoke with a realtor who said that home hazard insurance will run about 1% of home value and I find that to be a fair tradeoff in light of home prices and property taxes I was paying on smaller homes in more costly & densely populated areas of the country (Wash., DC & Silicon Valley).

I am interested in feedback based upon people's personal experience with Edmond vs. my perspective of Edmond and personal expectations for a community.
You won't get four seasons here, Chap.

Good luck.

Old 02-02-2017, 08:33 PM

Great feedback people, I'll take the cue and bone up on Okie talk!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City