Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 04:44 AM

66 posts, read 62,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamayev View Post
Thanks for your feedback, but i have checked very small amount of companies working with international driving licenses. So i have already spoke to Progressive Insurance, i will bring my insurance history ( translated and notarised) which i do have here, and it will make some discounts in rate. Then as soon as i'm planning to get oklahoma's driving license and will change plan.
I've always found Progressive to be a bit overpriced. Somebody has to pay for all the TV ads and marketing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2017, 05:54 AM

24,695 posts, read 11,033,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckinusa View Post
I've always found Progressive to be a bit overpriced. Somebody has to pay for all the TV ads and marketing?
Expats and new immigrants without US credit and driving history have very limited options. Next will be deposits for rental/utilities.

Old 05-03-2017, 01:23 PM

34 posts, read 29,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Expats and new immigrants without US credit and driving history have very limited options. Next will be deposits for rental/utilities.
Yeah you are right, and i'm not the first one
Guys, what about cellphone plans the best for new arrivals

Old 05-03-2017, 02:48 PM

And where to buy the cheapest furniture sets? As i will rent apartment i.don't want to spend big money for furniture. But i see there isn't ikea in OKC, unfortunately, what is the best one instead of IKEA?

Old 05-04-2017, 03:00 AM

66 posts, read 62,005 times
Be very careful where you rent an apartment. I lived in an apartment that accepted section 8. It wasn't horrible, but it wasn't good. They gave the section 8 folks a better rate on the rent too. Cell phones are easy to get. There are so many prepaid plans out there for $50 a month or less. Personally I always buy used furniture when I am not certain where I will be living for a long period of time. Mathes Brothers seems to be the big furniture store here in OKC.

Old 05-04-2017, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckinusa View Post
Be very careful where you rent an apartment. I lived in an apartment that accepted section 8. It wasn't horrible, but it wasn't good. They gave the section 8 folks a better rate on the rent too. Cell phones are easy to get. There are so many prepaid plans out there for $50 a month or less. Personally I always buy used furniture when I am not certain where I will be living for a long period of time. Mathes Brothers seems to be the big furniture store here in OKC.
Have You ever heard Summerplace apartments near Lake Hefner? I checked the apartment reviews in apartmentratings website, this is good one got 4 out of 5.
Is it easy to find used one whenever i will arrive in there?
Because some of them let say the bed will be the first in buying list.Mathis i have heard fair prices but in Walmart cheaper than Mathis

Old 05-04-2017, 06:10 AM

Check into an extended stay hotel for the first couple of weeks. Get to know the area a bit. You said you have friends here - have them show you around. Get car, insurance, social security number sorted out. Have you worked in your job situation? Get a prepaid credit card when you open a bak account to start working on your credit history as soon as possible. Then go apartment hunting. Just because something is available on a web site does not mean it is available in real time plus you will have to deal with your lack of US credit history.

IKEA is in Frisco, TX which is about a three hour drive. If that is what you like - rent a UHaul and make a day trip. Get used to distances not being a big deal

Furniture depends on your budget, need, taste and apartment. Does one of your friends have a pick up or will you have to pay delivery for everything that does not fit into your car?

Old 05-04-2017, 11:12 AM

Thanks for your recommendation.Probably i will have an offer when i will arrive in there.at this moment i'm planning for staying in house or apartment which i can rent daily from airbnb, but i need to check extended hotel stay as well.my friends doesn't have pick up so i will have to pay myself. Ikea is not an important, i can find something instead of in OKC.i don't want to use too much money for them of course.
What i will do i will open secured credit card based on my deposit in that Bank, then will asked for company's Credit union after some time.

Old 05-04-2017, 11:52 AM

You will be surprised about how helpful people are - friends, neighbors, coworkers

Apartments generally have the basics - ceiling lighting, kitche cabinets/breakfast counters/ appliances, some have washer/dryer, others have coin operated washer dryer. You can get the basics as in plates/silverware/... at Dollar General, linens - WalMart/Kohl's, groceries - Sprouts/Aldi/Walmart. Do you cook? Floor lamps - Lowe's, WalMart, Target, ....

Please buy a good mattress and one size bigger than what you think you need. What do you need as far as furniture are concerned?

Old 05-04-2017, 02:54 PM

Thank you for information about extended stay hotels. There are 2 of them which i found.extended stay America hotels and woodsprings.whoch one is better, what do you think?
Apartments i have read and got a lot information, what is including what is not to lease terms.i hope so i will find people very friendly, as my family.
By furniture side we do have baby with 1.5 years old, probably first days she will sleep with us.when i said furniture i need bedroom sets, like at least 4 shelves dresser, bed itself and matress,warderobe, then dining set table and 4 chairs, then some kitchen stuffs.this is in the first line. Then i will buy baby crib, sofa and etc.i choose by internet for.this moment 3 apartment. One of them Ashford Walnut Creek the other one Summerfield Place and the last one Highland Pointe. 2 of them is including washer dryer in unit, which is good.Baby small so i'm not searching for good school area, after some.years planning to get my own house, so i will choose the area on that time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City