Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 10:41 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times

Advertisements

Here's a list of the fastest growing jobs in Oklahoma:

https://www.zippia.com/advice/fastes...s-in-oklahoma/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2017, 01:18 PM

38 posts, read 133,713 times
If you don't have kids or plan on having any, and are confident you can secure a decent job (it doesn't need to pay much), then Oklahoma is great. You can live quite well in Oklahoma for under $40k. If anyone claims otherwise, either they're factoring kids or other expenses into the equation, or they have the typical materialistic\consumer wh*re mindset, which admittedly comprises most of the US population these days.

Oklahoma is dirt cheap but I would never raise a family here. Our educational system has totally collapsed and it's only going to get worse. On the other hand, if you can afford private school, then our broken public schools are less of an issue...

Old 05-30-2017, 01:36 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,508,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxman View Post
If you don't have kids or plan on having any, and are confident you can secure a decent job (it doesn't need to pay much), then Oklahoma is great. You can live quite well in Oklahoma for under $40k. If anyone claims otherwise, either they're factoring kids or other expenses into the equation, or they have the typical materialistic\consumer wh*re mindset, which admittedly comprises most of the US population these days.

Oklahoma is dirt cheap but I would never raise a family here. Our educational system has totally collapsed and it's only going to get worse. On the other hand, if you can afford private school, then our broken public schools are less of an issue...
I agree that many people can make a go of it here for under $50,000. If one doesn't need a super-luxurious lifestyle then the COL is really one of the better things about OK. I've always lived out in the woods not needing a big house or really wanting too much but a farm pond and the taste of my Uncle's homemade wine.

Old 05-31-2017, 02:27 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,792,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
Good advice here OP. I would seriously think this one through. I too, fell in love with the state and weather, people etc. Took a job in Tulsa in 2008. My brother did also in 2009 OKC area. I can only speak for me, but it was the biggest mistake I ever made. The weather was the only bright spot, that and affordable rents, I suppose.
The job had THE most toxic environment I have ever experienced, the roads, well I had more flats, and alignments in 5 years there than 45 in WI and Queensland.
Once the rose colored glasses came off, I saw that for a "Christian" population, I saw so much backstabbing, corruption, selfishness. It's like pretty much everything there is substandard, or a few years behind the times. I went back to school for Pharmacy Tech and after spending $3K I found out I was no more marketable than I was before. Everything seems so half-arsed. Seriously think this one through
Exactly. People like to think they're nice, but there's always an agenda or if they find out you're not from here, they want nothing to do with you. I get along great with transplants, but there aren't many of us. If I'd had another option, I wouldn't be here. Thought I'd get out in 2016, but it didn't happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I agree. I left Oklahoma after college and moved back in 2012. Worst decision I ever made. I agree that almost everything is substandard here. Just taking a trip back to Dallas from OKC feels like I am jumping in a time machine and going forward 5-10 years in time.

My advice is if somebody has a good job offer in Oklahoma and can handle the severe weather, ultra-conservative politics, and substandard QOL, then they might be able to make Oklahoma work. It really isn't that bad in the grand scheme of things. However, I wouldn't recommend anybody move here if they had other options.
True, maybe I've gotten used to it, or maybe I just like the changes in the OKC nightlife, but I would not want to spend an extended period of time here, which is why I refuse to buy a house.

Old 05-31-2017, 02:35 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
True, maybe I've gotten used to it, or maybe I just like the changes in the OKC nightlife, but I would not want to spend an extended period of time here, which is why I refuse to buy a house.
Same here. I am at the age where I should really think about buying a house, but I don't want to in OKC because I don't want something else tying me here for longer than I absolutely have to be here. Like you, I don't dislike OKC near as much as I did for the first few years after moving back here. It's likely a combination of having become used to it and the fact that the nightlife is indeed improving. Looking back at my life in my previous city, at this point, is almost like looking back at another world that was great but impossible to return to (kind of like returning to childhood or high school is impossible). However, I still cannot see myself putting down roots here. Just too many things I don't like about it.

Old 05-31-2017, 04:18 PM

1,251 posts, read 1,077,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Same here. I am at the age where I should really think about buying a house, but I don't want to in OKC because I don't want something else tying me here for longer than I absolutely have to be here. Like you, I don't dislike OKC near as much as I did for the first few years after moving back here. It's likely a combination of having become used to it and the fact that the nightlife is indeed improving. Looking back at my life in my previous city, at this point, is almost like looking back at another world that was great but impossible to return to (kind of like returning to childhood or high school is impossible). However, I still cannot see myself putting down roots here. Just too many things I don't like about it.
Same here! We have decided to rent. The only place I would consider buying is Edmond, but it is even lacking in some things.

Old 05-31-2017, 05:45 PM

793 posts, read 1,112,540 times
I eventually want to buy a house here, preferably in an older neighborhood. Pre-1930s or so.

Old 05-31-2017, 06:57 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,792,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayneMo View Post
I eventually want to buy a house here, preferably in an older neighborhood. Pre-1930s or so.
Look at Heritage Hills. May be too pricey, but really nice homes. There's another nice old neighborhood off Western right at I-44. Can't remember the name of it, but beautiful with lots of trees. I miss trees, and there's not many neighborhoods that have a lot.

Old 05-31-2017, 07:14 PM

793 posts, read 1,112,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
Look at Heritage Hills. May be too pricey, but really nice homes. There's another nice old neighborhood off Western right at I-44. Can't remember the name of it, but beautiful with lots of trees. I miss trees, and there's not many neighborhoods that have a lot.
Heritage Hills is my favorite neighborhood. I live adjacent to it in Heritage Hills East.

Old 05-31-2017, 07:56 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpydove View Post
Same here! We have decided to rent. The only place I would consider buying is Edmond, but it is even lacking in some things.
Central OKC is the only place in this region that's tolerable for me. I could not see myself living in Edmond. It's not a bad suburb if you want to raise a family, it's just not my cup of tea. If I did decide to stay in OKC, it would have to be in the central part, near the Paseo or Plaza District areas.

Norman isn't bad, but the commute would get old if you work in north OKC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City