Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 11:26 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,252,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
Good luck! Don't stay here an entire year. I think it would be a good idea to experience different cities. This barely qualifies as a city.
I've never been much of an OKC fan, but I'm pleasantly surprised how much the city has changed for the best in the last 6 to 7 years, and it's a different city than it was when I lived there in the 80s and 90s. You been here, what, about 5 years or so? Have you seen much if any change? What do you think OKC will be like in 5 years, or maybe 10? I'm not suggesting, you hang in there wait it out, just wondering what kind of path do you see OKC taking?

In my opinion, I think the states blood red political environment is holding OKC and Tulsa back. And I think it would be just as big of a mess if liberals had the same grip, the conservatives now have. We need something of a balance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2017, 11:36 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,815,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
I've never been much of an OKC fan, but I'm pleasantly surprised how much the city has changed for the best in the last 6 to 7 years, and it's a different city than it was when I lived there in the 80s and 90s. You been here, what, about 5 years or so? Have you seen much if any change? What do you think OKC will be like in 5 years, or maybe 10? I'm not suggesting, you hang in there wait it out, just wondering what kind of path do you see OKC taking?

In my opinion, I think the states blood red political environment is holding OKC and Tulsa back. And I think it would be just as big of a mess if liberals had the same grip, the conservatives now have. We need something of a balance.
I agree with you on OKC's improvement. The nightlife is much better than it used to be and at least in the downtown area, it's starting to feel more like a city. I think it will take another 10-15 years though to really get to where it should be for a city it's size.

My beef with Oklahoma these days is primarily the weather and the hyperconservatism that dominates the statehouse and the culture. I think if it was more balanced, it wouldn't be as bad. Oklahoma is in the news every year for its proposed regressive social conservative laws. Oklahoma seems to want to do opposite of what most of the country is doing. Many states are banning conversion therapy for instance. Oklahoma had a bill a couple of years ago to affirm it and also allow parents to put their minors into an ex-gay camp against their will. There is always anti-abortion laws every session as well as laws trying to affirm Christianity in some way or another. Causes like legal marijuana don't stand a chance in Oklahoma as dominated as it is by religious conservatives. Legal marijuana probably won't be here for another 30 years. I am sure the hyperconservatism hurts Oklahoma economically because both people and businesses don't want to move here. This is especially true for the younger generation which tends to be more liberal. Every year, more and more liberals get fed up with it and leave the state. It can really feel oppressive if you aren't aligned with the Christian Right.

I am sure this also hurts Tulsa, which is ahead of OKC in most ways yet is relatively stagnant. A place like Tulsa should be growing much faster than it is.

Old 06-08-2017, 06:20 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,793,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I agree with you on OKC's improvement. The nightlife is much better than it used to be and at least in the downtown area, it's starting to feel more like a city. I think it will take another 10-15 years though to really get to where it should be for a city it's size.

My beef with Oklahoma these days is primarily the weather and the hyperconservatism that dominates the statehouse and the culture. I think if it was more balanced, it wouldn't be as bad. Oklahoma is in the news every year for its proposed regressive social conservative laws. Oklahoma seems to want to do opposite of what most of the country is doing. Many states are banning conversion therapy for instance. Oklahoma had a bill a couple of years ago to affirm it and also allow parents to put their minors into an ex-gay camp against their will. There is always anti-abortion laws every session as well as laws trying to affirm Christianity in some way or another. Causes like legal marijuana don't stand a chance in Oklahoma as dominated as it is by religious conservatives. Legal marijuana probably won't be here for another 30 years. I am sure the hyperconservatism hurts Oklahoma economically because both people and businesses don't want to move here. This is especially true for the younger generation which tends to be more liberal. Every year, more and more liberals get fed up with it and leave the state. It can really feel oppressive if you aren't aligned with the Christian Right.

I am sure this also hurts Tulsa, which is ahead of OKC in most ways yet is relatively stagnant. A place like Tulsa should be growing much faster than it is.
I agree with this. While I'm certainly not liberal, I am probably libertarian. The marijuana argument is a great example of the extreme conservatism (not to mention weird alcohol laws) because I have a very bad back, and while I'm not a marijuana user, it does work. I would at least like to try it for my back pain.

OK, me wanting to not live here has more to do with the weather, awful landscape (not enough trees, no mountains, etc), the cliquishness of the people, lack of singles (people getting married at 22 and having kids), extreme religion (I'm a believer, but my life doesn't revolve around religion), and the difficulty of flying anywhere. No direct flight to New York,, for example. So regardless of the progress in nightlife and cheap cost of living, I can't stay here for the quality of life I want. I'm wasting good years here. I could live in a large city and have 3 times as many friends, dates, sporting events (Atlanta Falcons and Braves, for example), festivals, live music, etc. Its mostly about friends and meeting a woman to settle down with, for me anyway.

Old 06-08-2017, 11:28 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,508,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post

Amen to that, Okie.

Old 06-08-2017, 11:35 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,508,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post

I'm not so worried about laws against the homosexual community. It's their life, let them live it. I do think that children should not have to be subjected to the grooming/conditioning that we see in some other states at such an early age. Let the kids grow up and choose for themselves, say high school or later.

Abortion?...I'm against that 100%

I'm one of those old school socially conservative Dems. Yeh, we're still around. Call me a Blue Dog Democrat.

Seems like everybody from both sides hates my kind: the Cali and Yankee Dems call me ignorant and too conservative socially. The Repubs don't like me because I'm for raising taxes, especially for social services aimed at assisting the poor, the elderly, minorities, etc.

I'd also like to see both Dems and Repubs (career politicians) make much less money. I'm also for term limits. Neither side represents the common man anymore. Give 'em a wage like us blue collar folks and they'll be much more likely to understand our life and where we're coming from.

Old 06-08-2017, 11:43 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,815,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
I'm not so worried about laws against the homosexual community. It's their life, let them live it. I do think that children should not have to be subjected to the grooming/conditioning that we see in some other states at such an early age. Let the kids grow up and choose for themselves, say high school or later.

Abortion?...I'm against that 100%

I'm one of those old school socially conservative Dems. Yeh, we're still around. Call me a Blue Dog Democrat.

Seems like everybody from both sides hates my kind: the Cali and Yankee Dems call me ignorant and too conservative socially. The Repubs don't like me because I'm for raising taxes, especially for social services aimed at assisting the poor, the elderly, minorities, etc.
At least we can agree on that.

Regarding conversion therapy, one thought I want to get out there is that first, nearly all licensed psychologists believe sexual orientation is unchangeable and attempts to do so harm and individual. But lets give conservative Christian groups like the American Family Association who promote conversion therapy the benefit of the doubt for a second. There isn't even a chance of it working if the individual isn't willingly seeking to change. Anybody who grows up in a Christian home knows what the Bible says about homosexuality. If parents force their children into conversion therapy unwillingly, it will simply be torture for the child that might lead to their suicide. A recent 20/20 episode was done on conversion therapy and its not pretty.

Old 06-11-2017, 05:14 AM

473 posts, read 502,518 times
Can probably get a rental house for $600-700 in okay area of OKC, cheaper toward country...

I have some extended family there in OKC. Wages have plummeted for area's work and they headed to Indiana. Pay is insanely low in OKC. I am in Kansas and LOTS of locals here went to Indiana. Heard is better business environment with less politics in Indiana, looking to do business and let people live but problems just show up a bit later I think ; )...I'm kind of living in a trap in Wichita which is 3 hours north of OKC...If you check out any social stuff or networking organizations and witness anyone trying to threaten people or use people, just back out of there quietly and lie about reason for leaving. Wichita had multiple business networking ruining people who SLAVED for them and LOTS of social causes/organizations/churches who will try to bully people to use them for dirty business favors or mistress....Lots of work is 4-6 months for lower paid female laborers, and lots of scam employers who are screwing these new employees and leaving without unemployment. If you work aviation, SKIP WICHITA. I've moved around and seen scam after scam, dirty cops and scare tactics toward females, just the sickos getting jollies so lucky to be male, can live alone if you want and won't be told you will come home to a gunman because you refuse to pick up a local male because you just divorced and want a break to recover. I'm college educated and get GOOD work offers within 1 month but not safe to live alone and female in some spots I can afford....and Section 8 brought the scam stuff out to all the burbs and cops just ignore it.

Some small towns were ruining females who moved alone for local jobs, put the ruined woman with the drug dealer and cops keep her trapped there using mental hospitals for arguing about the drugs...try to get a city sized disability check and use her for welfare & discounted rent.

RENT A PLACE! My nice suburb in Wichita was throwing out some new people who bought existing housing in 1-2 weeks by cops scaring new people away. Not sure what these had in common, maybe coming from same place? Was families, singles, professionals, white/blue collar and every ethnicity but NOT EVERYONE....Need to find out what goes on before you pick a home, or may have to abandon a new property. NO ATTORNEYS CARE AND ACLU WON'T PICK THIS UP. Is 2-3 dozen a year put through this scam for about last 8 years...

BTW: Since Wichita does still have some airplane plants, most of the high flying masters degree engineers bought a cheaper basic house near every factory where they have worked. Can rotate between job locations, strikes, layoffs and workplace issues (Boeing was bad schizo for some blacks who managed a masters degree, and put some back in hood dealing drugs btw ruined after getting angry about workplace problems....Some just walked away from $25/hour no-experience job at aircraft plant when they figured out the 'workplace problems', just took the $9 hour jobs where you won't get in trouble.)...Is nice to have rental income and later places for your children to live in different areas & pay you rent....

Can try to RV pretty cheaply? I caution you against taking some of the work trades but there are TONS of seasonal, professional and cool work arrangements via Craigslist...however, if anything is wrong in the community it can latch onto you, especially if you are the type A angry type. If anything is weird, would recommend you act like you don't understand and just keep quiet for a bit, make a lie like family at home is ill and needs you, and leave the area. Can work remotes using library or unlimited cell (not available in scene spots usually). May find writing work in your field via craigslist too. Google advanced search does decent job on craigslist job ads. I never got in trouble doing remote work...but temp or on-site work arrangements can be a trap the cops won't help you to leave. Just have to wear off whatever was wrong back there and get snooped/vandalized bad AT ALMOST EVERY STOP if this happens during RV life....Nomadic Fanatic is neat guy to watch on Youtube if you want to learn RV and how to pay for a long trip. Some just work at "Amazon fulfillment centers in a couple states that have seasonal jobs with RV sites available...Can make enough 'running' around filling orders, can travel to another job site or just mess around until the next rehire rush...MOVING AROUND REALLY HELPS TO USE A NICK NAME AND NEVER GIVE BIRTH DATE, SHOULD SHOW ON FACEBOOK OR HOMETOWN. NEVER DISCUSS MUCH ABOUT UPCOMING TRIP IF GOING ALONG OBVIOUSLY...

People who work contractor work from Craigslist ads usually get EIN # from IRS and learn to file quarterly estimated business taxes doing your own withholding. It keeps your SS# private.

Anything more than renting a SHORT TERM RV spot in Colorado can expose you to a lot of expensive stupid crap unless you are wealthy...Don't even consider it except for a vacation unless you are loaded and have relationship along. Is trash canner...Females abandon CORPORATE transfer jobs in Denver in a couple months if alone as things are so creepy & expensive due to vandals forcing relationships.

Last edited by cattalk1; 06-11-2017 at 05:36 AM..

Old 06-11-2017, 05:46 AM

Needed to be mentioned, multiple state colleges have been in media for for discriminating against unwanted students from sex harassments, to racial, hostile workplace, verbal abuse and dirty computer technicians. If you drop class due to mistreatment, sometimes have to pay back pell grants, scholarships and loans IMMEDIATELY. Strongly advise you to ask around of neighborhood to get college suggestions for whatever field interests you, second is take 1-2 classes in your desired subject and pay cash. See how the instructors treat anyone...If you witness attack on anyone victim may be ex-wive of wealthy, rape victims, unwilling mistresses, wrong neighborhood told not to do college any more, recently fired or businessman who just got ruined. I recommend you just leave the room during the break and go drop the class. Some who stayed through this kind of mistreatment ended up with their own problems...Doesn't really help to complain to deans unless you want to substitute a class for something taught by a problem instructor, as some of the deans have been forced into accepting this kind of situation quietly or will be ruined/harmed.

Online classes can still crash computers so need to know how to handle....Lynda.com is great way to pick up some extra skills if you want. Some of the stuff is incorrect but can just google it until things run right...Can get into another line of work if you have good portfolio and some employers are accepting people who take the initiative to study to something...

Oh yeah, Wichita Boeing was $25/hour no skills starting pay. It left Wichita couple years back for OKC. OKC Boeing pays $12-15 hour....

BEST OF LUCK!

Old 06-11-2017, 06:00 AM

Kansas City may be nice for you...Has LOTS of outdoors but recommended you enjoy it only in groups -- try meetup.com to find some activity groups or social stuff that may interest you. I don't know the gay scene but I think you might just stop for a long weekend...Nice arts, culture, vibrant business, small tech boom, google fiber, tons of nightlife/shopping/events/festivals. Would stick to better areas as is rough situation inside town's cheap neighborhoods or near the bar districts in run-downs. Johnson County KS, Bonner Springs KS, Parkville MO and Lees Summit MO are affordable but safe areas. Unsafe is come home to gunmen and cops call it a suicide...Leavenworth runs such a bad mess, it scares away some of the military...

Rest of KC really isn't military. Is just tough neighborhood example...

HIGHLY RECOMMEND you walk around a neighborhood before you rent and see if anyone says anything weird to you and talk to residents around the complex, see if anyone is acting wrong toward you. If you see any groups of kids harassing adults, is called gang stalking, and only shows neighborhood won't be safe for you. NEVER ANSWER THESE KIDS! If nothing off is said to you, is great place to rent and some really affordable real estate still...lots of education but does have some discrimination but not sure why some are targeted. Have to test the 1-2 classes paid for with cash in your area of interest...Is a paradise of good employment in my opinion, will have job offers quickly if you look at Craigslist for employment for entry-level....If you can pay for 6 months of rent at once, many of the landlords will deal with you if you can float on your savings or just work part-time a bit.

Old 06-13-2017, 01:24 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,586,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fillmore241 View Post
I'm an engineering burn-out and looking for an inexpensive place to live while I take a year off or consider new jobs, careers. How do you think OKC would work? I would really like to live in a house at <$1200rent+util/mo so I could play guitar at weird hours if I wanted.

Virtually my entire life has been surrounded in military/male dominated schools and jobs; if I could avoid that I would be ecstatic. I love the outdoors, but have found the yuppification in the Seattle-area stronger than my liking (though, really, that's much less of a problem than the insane rent here).
I know you , and you know you ( you have already done your research ) and made up your mind . Son you're going to Oklahoma City for a sabbatical for one year. So when your feet touch the red soil Keep Us abreast 365 days straight .This should be interesting because you told us all that you are leaving Oklahoma City Oklahoma in one year max's that's a real man
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City