Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 05:31 PM

160 posts, read 976,482 times

Advertisements

Well, of course I knew I would get beat up for saying that socal is more progressive than OK....sorry...it just is. Granted, there are lots of problems in socal and some are the reason I wanted to leave. But, I came here with a child on the autistic spectrum. They did wonders for him in socal within the confines of the public school system. And, yes there are good and even great schools there and also bad just like everywhere else. We had great schools were I lived in OC. Back to OK, even in speaking with folks within the system here (Edmond), I was told there is nothing here on the level of what we had there....etc. Very hard to get anything we need for him out here. They are very behind here regarding this issue. So, no, I do not think it is very progressive out here. But, my boys do like it as do my hubby and I . I have also not heard of any language immersion programs. I think they are a great idea and wonderful way for kids to learn a second language. Hope you find what you are looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2009, 03:56 PM

1,763 posts, read 6,002,646 times
I really can't understand why a language immersion program would be considered a negative. Oklahomans have a proud history and have produced a lot of very influential people. Adding language skills to the mix would make the state more competetive, esp. in terms of attracting foreign business development. A lot of American companies do business overseas, and would consider employees with language skills a plus. Seems like you'd get some good bang for the buck.

IMO, many of the traditional language programs in HS's across the country are o.k., but over time, students often forget what they learned. That seems like a waste of time, and also a waste of money. If you really want to learn a language, immersion seems like a great option. If you don't have the opp'y to actually live overseas but want your child to learn another language, an immersion school seems like a good option.

I was glad to read that Okla has its share of immersion schools. IMO that's just one more notch on her belt.

Old 06-06-2010, 10:02 PM

128 posts, read 298,724 times
I don't get the criticism of immersion schools. I'm pretty conservative and it's just odd to me that some people here seem so automatically offended by the idea and assume only a liberal from Southern California would be interested in something like that.

It's of no help to the OP, but there's an immersion school in New Orleans -- a charter school where the kids take math, science, etc. in French or Spanish. I think there's actually two or three of them...

Old 06-13-2010, 05:01 PM

177 posts, read 314,485 times
Language immersion is also incredibly beneficial to children on the autism spectrum. I'm sure no one wants their tax money spent on that issue either which is expressly why we are trying to leave Oklahoma.
I'm sure no on here sees this, but the OP asked a question and that was all they had to do for it to turn into a political issue (tax dollars specifically).

Old 06-13-2010, 05:42 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,171,720 times
It seems strange that the OP does not specify any particular language. It is as though they do not care "what" language it is. My dh is Canadian and some of his nieces and nephews went to a French immersion school, because in Canada it is a second language and it is very beneficial to be bi-lingual.

Although Spanish is a nice language (as is French), here in the USA it really does not benefit someone to have them as a second language.

If the OP is intent on having their child learn a second language, I am certain there are tons of people out there who would be perfectly willing to teach it outside of the parameters of school.

I'd shoot for Arabic or Chinese if it were me.

20yrsinBranson

Old 06-21-2010, 09:55 AM

1,173 posts, read 1,536,393 times
I think it would be good for my child (age 4) to learn another language. All it can do is make him smarter!

Old 06-22-2010, 06:00 PM

128 posts, read 298,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
It seems strange that the OP does not specify any particular language. It is as though they do not care "what" language it is. My dh is Canadian and some of his nieces and nephews went to a French immersion school, because in Canada it is a second language and it is very beneficial to be bi-lingual.

Although Spanish is a nice language (as is French), here in the USA it really does not benefit someone to have them as a second language.

If the OP is intent on having their child learn a second language, I am certain there are tons of people out there who would be perfectly willing to teach it outside of the parameters of school.

I'd shoot for Arabic or Chinese if it were me.

20yrsinBranson
While it is certainly not NECESSARY to know a foreign language in America, that does not mean it isn't beneficial. Knowing a foreign language, especially one not all that widely spoken in America but widely spoken in other places (Mandarin, Arabic, Portugese, Turkish...) is very useful if you want to get a job in the State department, CIA, military, or of course as a translator or in international business, or teach abroad. It's useful even if you don't end up doing any of these things simply for travel and to help train your mind.

Old 12-08-2014, 05:46 PM

1 posts, read 827 times
I own a Spanish Immersion School in Oklahoma city. Bilingual Family offers Spanish immersion programs for children ages 1-8. We also provide resources to help families incorporate Spanish at home.

Old 01-09-2017, 01:17 PM

2 posts, read 912 times
I guess I am confused. Did anyone ever answer the question or did goodpasture just rant, judge, and spread intolerance? I'd really like to know if there are any language immersion schools like we have in Tulsa here in the OKC area.

Old 01-09-2017, 01:20 PM

2 posts, read 912 times
If you have nothing to add to the conversation, then why are you replying other than to fill the thread with your own propaganda and opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City