Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 01:21 PM

5 posts, read 22,233 times

Advertisements

Google isn't helping much...

I'm looking for a language immersion elementary school in Edmond or OKC? Does such a thing exist?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2009, 02:35 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,980,527 times
what language do you want your kid immersed in? They all immerse in English.

Old 05-24-2009, 11:43 PM

Thank you for your reply, goodpasture. That is a very good observation.

Language immersion is a method to learn a second language.

Language immersion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I would be interested to know of ANY language immersion elementary schools in Edmond or OKC. Perhaps Edmond or OKC does not have a language immersion elementary program of any kind?

Old 05-25-2009, 07:45 AM

Thanks for the definition. I don't think I could have figured out "immersion" otherwise.

Not only don't they have it, I'm not sure I would want my tax money paying for it....if I discovered they were incorporating it into the curricula, I would probably try to stop it. If you want to learn a language, buy a copy of Rosetta Stone. FWIW, immersion is generally when a person from an alien language needs to learn the dominant language. When I was in Italy, I did an immersion course in Italian. When I was in Greece, I did an immersion course in Greek. When I was in Quebec, I did an immersion course in French. Although I took Spanish for several years in New Mexico public schools, I was never immersed in Spanish, although if I were to spend much time in Mexico or South America, I would probably opt for an immersion course. Oklahoma is a part of the United States where English is the dominant language. If you are already an English speaker you don't need an immersion course in English. On the other hand, if you speak a language other than English, every large school has ESL classes that will bring the student to functionality in the dominant language. The larger school districts have over 30 first languages to deal with......everything from Tag-a-log to Spanish to Russian to Hmung. They do not have the capacity to deal with each language individually, so they put their resources into ESL.

So yes, ALL schools immerse into the dominant language, which is English. and no, NONE of them immerse in any other language.

Old 05-26-2009, 11:09 AM

160 posts, read 975,714 times
You can pretty much figure that anything progressive like language immersion is not here in OK. I have been here almost a year....moved from socal....and I do not see anything within their educational system that is even remotely progressive. Unfortunate.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:04 PM

If "progressive" produces folks like I met in California, I'm just as glad.

What we DO have is a pretty good charter school system and tremendous support (non-governmental interfered with) forr homeschooling. Frankly, I'd rather have that any day than have my kids deal with the socially correct attitudes of public schools in the larger, more "progressive," states.

Old 05-26-2009, 02:21 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,788,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
If "progressive" produces folks like I met in California, I'm just as glad.

What we DO have is a pretty good charter school system and tremendous support (non-governmental interfered with) forr homeschooling. Frankly, I'd rather have that any day than have my kids deal with the socially correct attitudes of public schools in the larger, more "progressive," states.
Right on, GP. My daughter came from a school district in the "progressive" state of New Jersey. She's doing much better and is much happier in the "backward" school district of Mustang, OK. (And we're not banging our heads against the wall while trying to deal with the Politically Correct)

Old 05-26-2009, 02:59 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,322,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lines View Post
Thank you for your reply, goodpasture. That is a very good observation.

Language immersion is a method to learn a second language.

Language immersion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I would be interested to know of ANY language immersion elementary schools in Edmond or OKC. Perhaps Edmond or OKC does not have a language immersion elementary program of any kind?
Why would any public school invest in a language immersion class? I took Spanish in grade school, but it wasn't an immersion-type class, it was strictly conversational. Again, in high school I took Spanish, but there it was literature and grammar more than conversation. As far as I know, language immersion classes - other than those used by the military - are generally college level. If you want to provide one for your child, I'd suggest getting one of those complete course on CD things, there are at least as many for children as there are for adult travelers. I've known a number of families who did provide extra language courses of one kind or another for their children, but they were mostly community-based or religious in nature, as in a Serbo-Croation community teaching the language, culture, and folk dances, or a Hebrew school teaching Hebrew as well as more religion-related subjects. Or parochial schools teaching Latin. Some of my friends back in upstate NY sent their children to Hebrew school, plus the children watched Canadian TV, so they grew up multi-lingual, speaking Hebrew, Yiddish, French, and English with equal facility. I admire them immensely, but I would seriously object to the public school providing the same education they got. In fact, I think they did a lot better learning the way they did, because their parents were very involved in what their children were learning.

Old 05-26-2009, 03:23 PM

2,075 posts, read 2,137,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow42 View Post
You can pretty much figure that anything progressive like language immersion is not here in OK. I have been here almost a year....moved from socal....and I do not see anything within their educational system that is even remotely progressive. Unfortunate.
Language immersion as in ESL ?? Could you even possibly be calling the educationa system in Southern California good?

If you don't think OK. is progressive enough for you, why don't go back? I hear things are great in L.A., Plenty of " immersion " there. Real good primary schools with lots of diversity.

Old 05-26-2009, 03:45 PM

Again, goodpasture, I am grateful for your opinions and observations. I do wonder how much you pay in "tax dollars", though. It seems that you spend many hours on this forum - what do you do for a living?

My original post asked for "any" language immersion elementary school, and did not specify a public school program. Language immersion is not ESL and if you don't know what it is, then it isn't likely that you'll know if one exists.

It wasn't my intention to get into a debate about concepts such as "progressive" or "politically correct". It is a red herring to imagine that a child learning a second language is any sort of political statement.

Last edited by lines; 05-26-2009 at 03:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City