Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 10:41 PM

624 posts, read 1,309,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old General View Post
Do any of you ever frequent The 11Worth Cafe? Certainly not health food, but it's happy food.
My friend tells me they have some damn good steak and eggs. I want to go to that place. Are they doing well still? Or do I really need to jump on the horse?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 11:04 AM

152 posts, read 244,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busguy2010 View Post
My friend tells me they have some damn good steak and eggs. I want to go to that place. Are they doing well still? Or do I really need to jump on the horse?
Dropped off my wife at the airport early this morning, and the gray foggy day had me hankering for some hot, heavy breakfast food. Got to the 11Worth about 8:30, and the place was hoppin. I mean, it was BUSY. Waitresses running everywhere. Ordered the Denver Omelette & Coffee, and it came within 10 minutes. So hot it burned my tongue.

I'd say they're not closing their doors anytime soon.

If you like an old-school hardy breakfast, it's a good place to go.

Old 01-10-2014, 02:11 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,060,996 times
Even though it was still a relatively "new" place and I never got to eat there, I was unhappy to learn that Tommy Colina's had closed. They were high on my list of places to visit when I came back this summer.

Old 01-10-2014, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Dropped off my wife at the airport early this morning, and the gray foggy day had me hankering for some hot, heavy breakfast food. Got to the 11Worth about 8:30, and the place was hoppin. I mean, it was BUSY. Waitresses running everywhere. Ordered the Denver Omelette & Coffee, and it came within 10 minutes. So hot it burned my tongue.

I'd say they're not closing their doors anytime soon.

If you like an old-school hardy breakfast, it's a good place to go.
When I come back to Omaha I will have to try that place.

Old 01-14-2014, 04:35 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,876,338 times
These places date back to the 50’s, 60’s & 70’s time period.

Tiner’s drive-in on south 16th or 12 street back in the 50’s. I think they also had a location on Dodge about 76th or 78th.
I remember enjoying the Ground Cow Restaurant at 76th & Pacific. They had amazing ground beef charbroiled then topped with whatever you wanted. Three different sized items: the calf, cow, and the steer. There must have been twenty or so different toppings all named for the unique flavor of what you wanted, things like the Hawaiian with pineapple, the Mexican with chili, the Nebraskan with mushrooms, Italian with cheese and marinara sauce, too many to remember and I enjoyed them all.

The other restaurant that I remember was Rose’s Lodge south of Dodge St near 78th St. Here you could get the world’s best fried chicken. I especially liked the chicken and dumplings.

The Caniglia’s restaurants was also one of my favorites.

I also enjoyed the Stockade in Millard back in the late 60’s and 70’s. I was in the restaurant the evening that the tornado passed through the town and caused damage to many homes and trees.

Old 01-18-2014, 04:16 PM

181 posts, read 358,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
I remember enjoying the Ground Cow Restaurant at 76th & Pacific. They had amazing ground beef charbroiled then topped with whatever you wanted.
I'm not sure if was the same owner, but there was also a Ground Cow on 103th south of Fort, back in the late 1980's early 1990's. There is a daycare there now.

On another note, when I moved here in 1987 there was Runza and Runza Hut. The locations on 72nd & Farnam and 50th & Center were Runza Huts, decor was brown rather than the yellow/green. The only menu difference was the Huts had straight cut fries and vs. the crinkle cut fries.

Anyone recall why there was the difference?

Old 01-21-2014, 08:10 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,876,338 times
I’ve been to the 50th & Center locations a number of times in the past however I never paid much attention to the décor and colors. You are correct that the yellow/green is their standard now. I’ve stopped at a few of their store location out in western Nebr along I-80 a year ago and the colors are the same yellow/green. I sure don’t know why Huts are different unless some locations are corporate owned and others are franchised.

I don’t remember the Ground Cow at 103 & Fort; that was after I moved out of the state. I think I asked someone about that when I was back in town visiting and they told me it was owned by someone else and not the original.

Old 01-22-2014, 03:22 AM

181 posts, read 358,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
I’ve been to the 50th & Center locations a number of times in the past however I never paid much attention to the décor and colors. You are correct that the yellow/green is their standard now. I’ve stopped at a few of their store location out in western Nebr along I-80 a year ago and the colors are the same yellow/green. I sure don’t know why Huts are different unless some locations are corporate owned and others are franchised.

I don’t remember the Ground Cow at 103 & Fort; that was after I moved out of the state. I think I asked someone about that when I was back in town visiting and they told me it was owned by someone else and not the original.
Those 2 Runza Huts converted to the Runza format long ago.. early 90's I believe. The difference stood out to me at that time. The 72nd St location is now a Jimmy Johns, was a coffee/pastry place before that.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:38 AM

152 posts, read 244,503 times
A buddy & I went to Johnny's Steakhouse, down on 26th & L, last night.

Without a doubt, the restaurant's past is more glorious than its present. Even though it was a week-night evening, there weren't many people there. Maybe 20 customers, total, during the time we were there.

The salad was your basic lettuce salad and the baked potato was just that. But I have to say, the Prime Rib was absolutely outstanding!

Old 01-23-2014, 03:52 PM

Quote:
A buddy & I went to Johnny's Steakhouse, down on 26th & L, last night.

Without a doubt, the restaurant's past is more glorious than its present. Even though it was a week-night evening, there weren't many people there. Maybe 20 customers, total, during the time we were there.

The salad was your basic lettuce salad and the baked potato was just that. But I have to say, the Prime Rib was absolutely outstanding!
That's a shame. I hope they don't go the way of Gorat's, which has had pretty iffy reviews since the new ownership took over.

One I will miss is Austin's Steakhouse. They were pretty good and we used to go to the one on 72nd (IIRC) quite often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha