Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 11:41 AM

142 posts, read 289,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBanson View Post
I rest my case.

I'm trying to engage in a healthy debate. What are you trying to do?

I have nothing to compensate for here. I live in the area I described above. My gf and I have a nice apartment in one of the more beautiful cities around. According to many.

You come in with something so wondefully clever as I "must be compensating".

No, trying to engage in an intelligent debate.

So yes, rest your case. Because it is really stupid.

Old 12-20-2011, 11:44 AM

Quote:
I've enjoyed everywhere I've lived. Whether or not you decide to enjoy living in Omaha depends on whether or not you want to enjoy it.

Regarding politics, when I meet somebody, I have no idea how they vote. It's only the fringe people, on either side of the aisle, that can't get along.

Further more, I completely agree with you on this.

Old 12-20-2011, 11:46 AM

220 posts, read 378,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agskinner View Post
I'm trying to engage in a healthy debate. What are you trying to do?

I have nothing to compensate for here. I live in the area I described above. My gf and I have a nice apartment in one of the more beautiful cities around. According to many.

You come in with something so wondefully clever as I "must be compensating".

No, trying to engage in an intelligent debate.

So yes, rest your case. Because it is really stupid.
Well, junior, all I've read from you is highly opinionated rants about how/why LA is superior - in every way imaginable - to Omaha. That is NOT intelligent debate. It's anything but that.

What you really need to do is add, "...in my opinion." to the end of every single one of your sentences. But don't kid yourself into thinking that everybody, or even the majority of people, agree with your opinions. Let them simply be your opinions.

I've lived in lots of different places. For the most part, I've liked all of them very well. Some more than others. In every place I've lived there have been good things, and not so good things. That's pretty much the nature of the beast. I like visiting California, and am particularly fond of San Francisco. But I'd prefer not to live there.

Now, do you REALLY want to tell me I'm stupid again?

Old 12-20-2011, 11:56 AM

Quote:
1. Well, junior, all I've read from you is highly opinionated rants about how/why LA is superior - in every way imaginable - to Omaha. That is NOT intelligent debate. It's anything but that.

2. What you really need to do is add, "...in my opinion." to the end of every single one of your sentences. But don't kid yourself into thinking that everybody, or even the majority of people, agree with your opinions. Let them simply be your opinions.

3. I've lived in lots of different places. For the most part, I've liked all of them very well. Some more than others. In every place I've lived there have been good things, and not so good things. That's pretty much the nature of the beast. I like visiting California, and am particularly fond of San Francisco. But I'd prefer not to live there.

Now, do you REALLY want to tell me I'm stupid again?
1. Well first, I didn't say superior, just that LA has more to offer, countering the first point that LA and Omaha are equal. Also, isn't that the point? What am I just supposed to say "I agree" and leave? You call it ranting because you don't agree. You rant plenty. Yet you are ok with it.

2. I don't and wouldn't expect everyone or want everyone to share my opinion. It's a forum, everything post is opinion of course. I shouldn't have to point that out. I'd hope you'd be smart enough to figure that out.

3. You clearly didn't read what I had posted. I said, in different words, the same message of that part of your post. Live where you want. All I am asking is people not act as if Omaha can match LA, when it clearly can't. That's just reality.

4. Shouldn't assume I'm "junior". While you may have been able to pick out that I lived in Omaha for 26 years and now time in Cali, that doesn't mean the 26 years were my first. But your assumption was correct, it's still kind of nice if people didn't act like someone younger can't possibly have a point.

So yes, I still call your stance stupid. You chose to act my age, while I've kept it at a level of someone of your assumed age. And actually, you chose to act lower than my age, closer to 20 or 15. Come on. Have something to say. Besides something really not clever.

Old 12-20-2011, 12:10 PM

Quote:
1. Well first, I didn't say superior, just that LA has more to offer, countering the first point that LA and Omaha are equal. Also, isn't that the point? What am I just supposed to say "I agree" and leave? You call it ranting because you don't agree. You rant plenty. Yet you are ok with it.

2. I don't and wouldn't expect everyone or want everyone to share my opinion. It's a forum, everything post is opinion of course. I shouldn't have to point that out. I'd hope you'd be smart enough to figure that out.

3. You clearly didn't read what I had posted. I said, in different words, the same message of that part of your post. Live where you want. All I am asking is people not act as if Omaha can match LA, when it clearly can't. That's just reality.

4. Shouldn't assume I'm "junior". While you may have been able to pick out that I lived in Omaha for 26 years and now time in Cali, that doesn't mean the 26 years were my first. But your assumption was correct, it's still kind of nice if people didn't act like someone younger can't possibly have a point.

So yes, I still call your stance stupid. You chose to act my age, while I've kept it at a level of someone of your assumed age. And actually, you chose to act lower than my age, closer to 20 or 15. Come on. Have something to say. Besides something really not clever.
It's pretty simple. You're a kid who recently moved out of Omaha to LA, and now you think you're cultured, enlightened and brilliant. Good for you!

By the way, what exactly is "my stance"?

Old 12-20-2011, 12:17 PM

92 posts, read 187,997 times
Quote:

LA can't match Omaha in the following:

1. Plains
2. Safety
3. Economic Security
4. Competent Government (relative to California, anyway)

In my opinion (and I'm guessing most people who choose to call Omaha home), these things are more important than the ability to see mountains, splash around in a body of water, co-exist with celebrities and go to all the tourist traps. You appear to be still in the honeymoon phase of living in SoCal, as most of the things you mentioned are things that are second nature to true SoCal residents, but are the ultimate in tourist destinations for newbs.

Yes you were making counterpoints in your original argument, but your counterpoints were so based on personal opinion and over the top with the stench of superiority that no one takes you seriously now.

You found a spot you can be happy, and we're all glad for you. I'm sure many people in Omaha are in a spot they are happy and that California can't match for them. Myself included.

Old 12-20-2011, 12:17 PM

Look, I don't pretend to know you for real, I can only go off what you give me.

I know I give off a very arrogant, and stubborn perception. I know that going in, and don't make any effort to change it because it's not what is important, your pereception of me. My points are valid. I've received NO argument against my original statements.

That's the point. You may not like what I have to say, but you can't say I'm wrong. At least you haven't offered and reasons yet. You've only offered insults.

That would cause many to label you as stupid.

Besides, we pretty much have a similar stance on the matter. So why the hostility towards me?

It makes no sense. But I'm not going to care about it or pretend like I should change my approach or even be foolish and feel like I'm wrong.

Old 12-20-2011, 12:18 PM

Quote:
It's pretty simple. You're a kid who recently moved out of Omaha to LA, and now you think you're cultured, enlightened and brilliant. Good for you!

By the way, what exactly is "my stance"?

Couldn't be more wrong. But good to see you love to assume things about people you've had NO prior interaction with.

Old 12-20-2011, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarley55 View Post

1. Plains
2. Safety
3. Economic Security

In my opinion (and I'm guessing most people who choose to call Omaha home), these things are more important than the ability to see mountains, splash around in a body of water, co-exist with celebrities and go to all the tourist traps. You appear to be still in the honeymoon phase of living in SoCal, as most of the things you mentioned are things that are second nature to true SoCal residents, but are the ultimate in tourist destinations for newbs.

Yes you were making counterpoints in your original argument, but your counterpoints were so based on personal opinion and over the top with the stench of superiority that no one takes you seriously now.

You found a spot you can be happy, and we're all glad for you. I'm sure many people in Omaha are in a spot they are happy and that California can't match for them. Myself included.

1. Plains - California has some lovely plain areas, but yes, Nebraska does have that well covered. If you like that.
2. Safety - How so? I live in a town that is much safer. And I haven't heard nearly as many stories about shootings as Omaha. My mom lives in lovely Keystone, nice neighborhood right? Drug house up the street and two streets over. Safe city is a myth. You can be safe in any city or un safe in that same city. If you are talking the inner cities in LA to Omaha, well yeah, but Omaha has a lot of crime.
3. Economic Security - Yeah, that's pretty accurate. I don't disagree.
4. Competent Government (relative to California, anyway) - I wouldn't agree entirely. Didn't Suttle have to battle for his job? And Nebraska is very behind in progressive areas. I feel like California, at least this part, has a much firmer grasp on city streets and traffic lighting. I was in Omaha a few times over the summer, and remembered why I hated driving there. Not the case here. Virtually all left turns require an arrow, not nearly as many accidents from people trying to turn left.

But it's all dependant on perspective.

But I appreciate your post. My original point was that LA has more tangible things to offer than Omaha. Period.

But if you are talking about opinion on a better place to live and grow? Of course, I've said all along, that's simply up to the person.

Old 12-20-2011, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarley55 View Post

1. Plains
2. Safety
3. Economic Security

I'm not a native of Omaha, but I really like it here. Of course, I've liked everywhere I've lived.

I actually like the variety of Omaha's climate. I like the cost of living here. I like Omaha's centrality, and the fact that I can take a 15-minute cab ride to the airport and easily fly to anywhere in the world. I happen to like the beauty of the rural areas. I don't know why, but I actually prefer vast expanses of prairie to seeing the ocean stretch beyond the horizon.

Everyone is free to live wherever they want to live, and I hope they like where they live. I happen to like Omaha a great deal. It fits me fine for this phase of my life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha