Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 11:36 AM

14,572 posts, read 23,122,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by billiefan2000 View Post
the tax has already generated way, way, way more than needed to get Omaha out of the recession

maybe cutting the tax payers a break is something suttle or whoeve will be the next mayor in 2013 should do.
It generated enough to give Omaha a budget surplus, something we could desperately use. Let me ask you something, Billie. You know Omaha needs more police officers, needs to replace pretty much all of its police cruiser and snow plow fleet. We have many streets that need repairing or replacing, and have the sewer project to pay for. In that context, can you explain to me how it is a good idea to make massive cuts to our revenues?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 03:02 PM

181 posts, read 359,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrich98 View Post
North Omaha's had a violent crime problem for generations. Each successive administration has had to offer platitudes about stopping it. No one has. The problems in north O run much deeper that who is mayor or police chief.

I agree, but said politician should not flap their gums saying they will make things better when they know they can't.

Old 06-25-2012, 04:03 PM

1,224 posts, read 2,195,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhettB View Post
I agree, but said politician should not flap their gums saying they will make things better when they know they can't.
A billion dollar 20 year plan for North Omaha was laid out during Suttle's term. It is tough to quell a violent culture in 4 years. The fact that Suttle's term has lead to the most cohesive plan of any previeous mayor to date has to count for something.

Old 06-25-2012, 06:02 PM

704 posts, read 1,876,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhettB View Post

What's he supposed to say... "Sorry brothers... you should just stop shooting each other." Actually that might work!

Old 06-25-2012, 07:18 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,704,583 times
Suttle has been pushing economic, education, and development programs in North O like no mayor has before. He's trying to combat violent crime, and he's actually not doing that bad. There were 44 murders in Omaha in 2008, before Suttle was sworn in. In 2009, there were 30. 2010 34.

Take a look at this:
https://www.city-data.com/crime/crime...-Nebraska.html
You'll note that every single crime index has dropped during since 2009, the year Suttle became mayor. Not bad at all.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:28 AM

3,098 posts, read 7,559,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raphael07 View Post
Suttle has been pushing economic, education, and development programs in North O like no mayor has before. He's trying to combat violent crime, and he's actually not doing that bad. There were 44 murders in Omaha in 2008, before Suttle was sworn in. In 2009, there were 30. 2010 34.

Take a look at this:
https://www.city-data.com/crime/crime...-Nebraska.html
You'll note that every single crime index has dropped during since 2009, the year Suttle became mayor. Not bad at all.

saying Suttle is responsible for the crime drop makes as much sense as me saying Stothert and Mulligan on the City Council is personally responsible for the crime drop.

the police, not politicians should get the credit for the crime dropping

Old 06-26-2012, 10:12 AM

14,572 posts, read 23,122,707 times
Quote:
saying Suttle is responsible for the crime drop makes as much sense as me saying Stothert and Mulligan on the City Council is personally responsible for the crime drop.

You do realize that many things which effect the police, from funding to staffing levels and even policy to a degree...comes from the Mayor's office and City Council, right? In that respect, it's not really a stretch to place some credit (good or bad) on those two entities. Now of course every policy needs to be evaluated individually, but that takes time to judge.

Also, I'd like to see you respond to my last post (#31) as I think that topic is worthy of some discussion.

Old 06-26-2012, 04:49 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,704,583 times
Quote:

Police can only do so much to combat crimes. Like I said before, Suttle has been pushing for programs in North Omaha which have been effective in dropping the crime rate significantly.

Old 06-26-2012, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
It generated enough to give Omaha a budget surplus, something we could desperately use. Let me ask you something, Billie. You know Omaha needs more police officers, needs to replace pretty much all of its police cruiser and snow plow fleet. We have many streets that need repairing or replacing, and have the sewer project to pay for. In that context, can you explain to me how it is a good idea to make massive cuts to our revenues?

how bout cutting wasteful spending. like cuting the number of mayoral assistants and also get rid of his private mayoral car.

Old 06-26-2012, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
You do realize that many things which effect the police, from funding to staffing levels and even policy to a degree...comes from the Mayor's office and City Council, right? In that respect, it's not really a stretch to place some credit (good or bad) on those two entities. Now of course every policy needs to be evaluated individually, but that takes time to judge.

Also, I'd like to see you respond to my last post (#31) as I think that topic is worthy of some discussion.

true, but to say Mayor Suttle is some savior of Omaha is a bit of a stretch.

btw, u said Suttle is responsible for crime rates going down.

so ur saying Mike Fahey wasnt as good of a mayor as Suttle is at helping protect and look out for people in omaha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha