Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 11:09 AM

383 posts, read 392,078 times

Advertisements

Thinking of relocating to Omaha. What are the differences between the Elkhorn and Papillion neighborhoods? Any information is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2016, 11:28 AM

393 posts, read 409,133 times
Elkhorn is white, middle to upper middle, relatively new growth, 2 very nice high schools, excellent school system. Town is considered within Omaha city limits, and with that comes Omaha police, sanitation, etc. Elkhorn is about 20 miles west of Downtown Omaha.

Papillion is middle class and some upper middle. Two high schools, rich and working class, good school system as a whole. Town is incorporated and in Sarpy county, not Omaha per se, which is an advantage all the way around, resources and lower taxes. Papillion is about 10 miles south of downtown, and has a few more; restaraunts, shopping, entertainment, etc than Elkhorn.

Both are great, but...$$$ in many areas. Little crime, too far removed from certain parts of Omaha, mostly people who work and want a better life for their families.

Old 02-12-2016, 02:38 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,980,919 times
Krug's summary is excellent. You should check out both towns first-hand before you decide where you'd like to be.

Old 02-12-2016, 09:10 PM

63 posts, read 99,961 times
Krugs summary is on point, with the exception that both Elkhorn and Papillion are squarely middle class. Look up the wikipedia definition on middle class and you'll get a good feel for these places.

Old 03-23-2016, 11:00 AM

8 posts, read 15,761 times
Hi! As a resident of Papillion and a real estate agent in the area I can definitely vouch for what the previous posters told you about Elkhorn and Papillion. Another differentiation is their proximity from different metro areas. Papillion is more to the south of the Metro while Elkhorn is West. Let me know if you have any additional questions about the area!

Old 04-11-2016, 09:35 PM

8 posts, read 13,836 times
It depends on where your going to work. If you have a job out in west Omaha (that would be from prob 108th street out to 204th somewhere off dodge or center) elkhorn would be an easier drive and probably more convenient. However if your working downtown or near Aksarben/midtown (72nd) it'll be the same drive (both of which admittedly suck in the early and afternoon commutes as the roads do get really bad for about an hour then clear up). Papillon has more stuff for family's IMO with a little more established communities and like a Surberbia feel unlike elkhorn which is new and expanding and is more located off bigger roads leading into Omaha than one established community/town. Both school districts are excellent. Papillon was rated best small town in America a few years running (live there now) but I would love to live in elkhorn bec I'm younger and a lot of Omaha's stuff is moving west so it would save me some driving time. You won't go wrong with either of your work location is somewhere in between. Millard is also a nice area a little east of elkhorn which is also comparable to the other places as well and very safe and family friendly. Good luck!

Old 07-25-2019, 08:59 PM

1 posts, read 3,284 times
Default ?Bennington

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinawilliams View Post
Hi! As a resident of Papillion and a real estate agent in the area I can definitely vouch for what the previous posters told you about Elkhorn and Papillion. Another differentiation is their proximity from different metro areas. Papillion is more to the south of the Metro while Elkhorn is West. Let me know if you have any additional questions about the area!
Why is Elkhorn considered part of Omaha metro but not Bennington?

Old 07-26-2019, 08:40 PM

226 posts, read 576,457 times
Elkhorn definitely has a more "prestigious" reputation in Omaha than Papillion. Omaha has grown out to Elkhorn now, but before it even did, it was considered the nicest town within the small towns immediately ringing Omaha. It was the town that had the aire of having the "most money" I would say.

Although Papillion and La Vista are growing a lot, and are now very attractive areas of town, they still are not as desirable as "West Omaha" (which has grown out to Elkhorn). As far as suburban areas of town, I would say that Papillion-La Vista is considered "Desirable Area II."

I'm not sure a newcomer to Omaha would recognize that difference between the two, though. Natives do, though.

Every town has that aspect. There's always that side of town that has continually always been considered the most attractive, alluring side of town. (The north side of Dallas. Highland's Ranch south of Denver. West Omaha & West Des Moines. Chesterfield outside St Louis.
Overland Park, KS outside Kansas City. Fishers outside Indianapolis. The northwest Chicago suburbs. Ect.) Usually, there is another area that is growing very well, too, that is also attractive, but the prices are a bit lower -- because it is not AS attractive. Papillion-La Vista is that way, compared to West Omaha/Elkhorn.

Last edited by WhiteSandsYucca; 07-26-2019 at 09:05 PM..

Old 08-04-2019, 07:24 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,553,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepingbison View Post
Why is Elkhorn considered part of Omaha metro but not Bennington?

Bennington is a standalone legal town - an entity of its own.

Elkhorn was annexed by the City of Omaha, so legally it does not exist as its own town, just a neighborhood with the City.

Bennington is in the same County as the City of Omaha (which Elkhorn was too), so someday it will be annexed and dissolve into the City of Omaha.

Old 08-09-2019, 06:31 PM

226 posts, read 576,457 times
Bennington is considering part of the Omaha metro -- along with Elkhorn. My gosh, Kennard & Blair are part of the Greater Omaha metro. Where did you ever hear Elkhorn was, and Bennington wasn't?

Elkhorn, Bennington, Gretna = All towns immediately ringing west Omaha. All towns/enclaves that are part of the metro.

I hope that helps clear this up...

Ciao..LiO...WEST is BEST
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha