Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2019, 09:04 AM

2 posts, read 2,369 times

Advertisements

I looked over many of these posts and there is not much guidance when it comes to living on a like in the Omaha Area. Most of the posts are promoting public lakes. The Omaha Metro does have quite a few good lakes. Now many of these are small in comparison to other places but they are nice and allow boating, skiing, jet ski, and fishing. I grew up on a like just 20 minutes south of town and still go there every week. I have never heard a guest complain about it.

Now many of our lakes are along the river and experienced devastating floods this year. I have worked closely with the largest marina in the area for many years and have been on most of the lakes in the area.

Your questions.
1. Been in the area my entire life. Selling real estate for over 20 years in the Omaha Metro and the area lakes.
2. I have three kids and have never been concerned.
3. Explained above. There are some great lake homes in the areas you mentioned wanting to move.
4. I have never worried about it.
5. We go to the lake most of the time. We do a lot of boating and fishing. Omaha has a lot of small events that are fun for the family. Of course our Zoo is the top in the world (at times rated number 2).
6. Property taxes are a big thing talked about with home owners. The state is aware of the issue, but not mush you can do. Stuff has to be paid for. My favorite quote came from a client last month moving out of state. They are military and have lived in quite a few places. She said after complaining about the taxes for 4 years "I would gladly pay them if my kids could get the schools like this were we are going." From what I hear we have some of the best schools in the US. She said its work the tax dollars as a private education is much more expensive.

I hope this helps. I am new to this. If you want more Lake information let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2019, 08:55 PM

226 posts, read 576,457 times
Oh, come on. There is hardly any lakes in Omaha to live on. What lakes are you talking about, realistically?

Little, shrimp-shaped Lake Candlewood? Tiny Lake Regency? The Bennington one (which is built on former farm fields, which has nothing of the charm of natural Minnesota lakes, and is nothing but windswept expanses of grass and small, newly planted trees)? The new, fingery ones down in the Elkhorn "river bottoms?" Who would want to live down there now, after this last year? The whole Elkhorn river valley was flooded. They shouldn't even be building down there, imo.

Are we talking that Hawaiian Village one, right next to the Platte River?

All the rest are damsites/reservoirs around Omaha, where nobody really lives on the lake. There are no docks -- nothing.

No wonder there is "not much guidance" here, because "not much" exists around Omaha. It is not natural, lake-dotted Minneapolis or Minnesota. Not a criticism, but a fact.

Old 07-30-2019, 08:31 AM

2 posts, read 2,369 times
Your are correct. We do not have the lakes of other areas. But if you are going to live in the Omaha area and want the lake life there are some nice lakes. Are they as big as MN no, but we do have some nice water in the area. Beaver Lake is probably one of the best in the area. It is a man made lake from the 70's that is larger and deeper than most of the lakes in the area. Beaver Lake is also never affected by the river water levels. I agree many of the lakes are built in dangerous areas of the rivers edge, but my family has been on one of those lakes since the 50's and this is the first major flood at their lake.

Other popular lake for those interested.
West Shores, Mallard Landing, Blue Waters, Ginger Cove, Curtis Acres, Arrow Lake, Big Sandy, Sandy Point, Hawaiian Village, Riverside Lakes, Newport Landing (Bennington Lake), Lake Wakanda, Woodcliff, Chris & Hanson Lake

Old 08-09-2019, 06:37 PM

226 posts, read 576,457 times
I have to say: Good, thorough attempt at a list of lakes. But, most of those are little itty bitty lakes that would make a lot people laugh -- if you can even call them "lakes." Some are almost large ponds, imo.

Ciao..LiO...WEST is BEST

Old 09-29-2019, 07:51 AM

9 posts, read 13,259 times
I moved to Omaha for 4 years and just relocated out.

There is pretty much zero nature-corn fields and a few small lakes.
Even if you find nature -you will have deal with weather and probably will not be able to enjoy it.
The biggest reason I did not care for Omaha was the weather. It is truly indescribable. It can be 110 with 90 percent humidity with hot wind blowing 15-20 miles per hour, tornadic activity, terrible rain storms that make travel dangerous, or icy and snowy roads with bone chilling temperatures. I found that there is really not more than 8 weeks that you can be outside all year. Think about that. Abd 8 weeks might be pushing it.

The people are nice but very uniform-especially west Omaha. No diversity out there. They are surface nice but its difficult to truly make friends.

The schools are very good.

If you are coming from nature-please rethink your move!!!

Good luck

Old 09-29-2019, 01:19 PM

2,234 posts, read 3,319,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter 123 View Post

Even if you find nature -you will have deal with weather and probably will not be able to enjoy it.
The biggest reason I did not care for Omaha was the weather. It is truly indescribable. It can be 110 with 90 percent humidity with hot wind blowing 15-20 miles per hour, tornadic activity, terrible rain storms that make travel dangerous, or icy and snowy roads with bone chilling temperatures. I found that there is really not more than 8 weeks that you can be outside all year. Think about that. Abd 8 weeks might be pushing it.

The people are nice but very uniform-especially west Omaha. No diversity out there. They are surface nice but its difficult to truly make friends.

Good luck
I'll let the deer, racoons, opossum, turkey, skunk, squirrels, every kind of bird except when the hawks, turkey vultures, and occasionally eagles are around that there's no nature here. These are the animals we see on our property daily. If you live in Omaha or Lincoln there's no nature but in the other 99% of the state it's hard to not see them every where.

If the weather is too tough for you then don't move here. The new state saying is "Nebraska, it not for every one".

Old 09-29-2019, 06:47 PM

336 posts, read 574,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter 123 View Post

Good luck
I've never seen it 110 here. You are really stupid.

Old 09-29-2019, 06:48 PM

And it is never 90% humidity.

Old 09-29-2019, 06:50 PM

And, I have lived here all my life and never experienced a tornado, except once.

Old 09-30-2019, 07:09 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,255,328 times
Here's Moby Grape doing their song, "Omaha", which does not include the word "Omaha" anywhere in the lyrics.

But it's a really cool tune.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVhJ7cIriyk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha