Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2019, 10:19 AM

5 posts, read 9,684 times

Advertisements

Hello!

Im looking a little information about moving to the Omaha area, suburbs most likely. Ive done tons of research but nothing beats first hand experiences.

1. If you have moved to the Omaha area, do you like it better then where you moved from? Also where did you move from?

2. I have checked out the website family watchdog, and got a little freaked out. Why are there so many people on the registry? And why so many red dots ( child offences )? I would be moving with a small child and I think I may be working my self up over this. How much of an issue is this for residents?

3. Where do you go to enjoy a lake or water sports. I come from an island ( long island lol ) and am used to the beaches being near by.

4. How worried about snakes and wild life do I have to be? I have animals and dont want to be worried about them going outside by them selves at nigth.

5. What is your overall favorite thing to do in the Omaha area?

6. What are some tips or uncommon things to do or see or be aware of in the area?

Thank you guys in advance for the responses! Hoping to move after the little one finishes pre k next year!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2019, 01:41 PM

291 posts, read 378,611 times
1. I moved here from Northwest Arkansas in 2017 and I like Omaha better. I will try to answer as best I can but I live in the city center/ vs suburbs. I will admit Omaha has some great burbs though.
2. I will admit I just checked this and it does seem like a pretty high concentration, especially near the city center where I live. However, I don't know the national numbers and Omaha is a decent sized city population wise so a certain amount of that comes with the territory. I have 2 small children and I have had not once felt afraid for our safety.
3. Lake Manawa is nearby in Iowa, there is also Carter Lake. The lakes here pale in comparison to where I came from in the Ozarks, but it's not a huge factor for us.
4.We have a ton of grass snakes in our yard every summer, but I don' think this is as prevalent in other parts of town. Also being from Arkansas- I'm just used to it. I wouldn't worry about your pets though.
5.For us probably our neighborhood events.
6. This may not be uncommon-Obviously the zoo, then Lauritzen Gardens, Durham Museum, Joslyn Art Museum, The Children's Museum, Ollie the Trolley, We love Gifford Park neighborhood market, snow skiing at Mt. Cresent, several farmer's markets, Bob Kerry Pedestrian Bridge, MAHA music festival, Summer concert series at Stinson Park, Bridge Beats, Rose theatre, the baseball College World Series ( I don't even like baseball that much but love the festivities, Hydrant parties for kids at various locations during the summer & a great food scene. The food has been a pleasant surprise. Also I would mention that we have a fairly active scene on meet up. com which is a great way to make friends.
Good Luck, hope to see ya!

Old 06-16-2019, 06:10 PM

1,295 posts, read 2,511,425 times
Omaha has a much livelier forum you should check out.

eomahaforums.com

Old 06-17-2019, 09:44 AM

10,366 posts, read 8,004,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassbaby8489 View Post
3. Where do you go to enjoy a lake or water sports. I come from an island ( long island lol ) and am used to the beaches being near by.
The words "beaches" and "Omaha" don't go together. We do have a few small lakes (and some much larger ones in the western part of the state), but its' nothing like what you are accustomed to.

Quote:
4. How worried about snakes and wild life do I have to be? I have animals and dont want to be worried about them going outside by them selves at nigth.
We have coyotes here, so just turning your small dog or cat outside at night is a very bad idea (especially if the yard isn't fenced).

Last edited by Aredhel; 06-17-2019 at 09:55 AM..

Old 06-17-2019, 03:51 PM

703 posts, read 613,685 times
I moved here from the Ogden Utah area 22 yrs ago. I like the area. When I lived in Utah I knew my job would be over in about 3 yrs. I had already decided I didn't like the Ogden UT area and would be moving. So, I spent about a year researching several possible areas to move to using various criteria. The usual e.g. the economy, the weather, population size, crime etc etc. Started with a long list then narrowed it down as the research continued.

The two finalists were Omaha and Lincoln. I picked Omaha due to the fact it's a bigger city, more people, more varied economy and choices for everything. That's pretty much part and parcel every time you stack a big city up against a smaller city.

I have no regrets and to this day still couldn't give you an example of a better place. This of course excludes anyone who just has to live along the coast, or in the mountains, or hates snow.

Old 06-17-2019, 04:08 PM

291 posts, read 378,611 times
I did forget to mention the raccoons/ trash pandas. We have tons of them in our neighborhood. They don't seem rabid at all but obviously picking up the trash repeatedly & having our security cameras set off by them is annoying.

Overall, small stuff. I did not consider the coyotes another poster mentioned - that would be a concern with pets being outside, so I would take that advice . I just haven't experienced them here myself, probably due to location.

I am enjoying raising my children here. To me there are more pros than cons.

Old 06-17-2019, 09:31 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,087,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassbaby8489 View Post
1. If you have moved to the Omaha area, do you like it better then where you moved from? Also where did you move from?
I was born in Omaha and moved to Tampa when I was starting high school. They both have their pros and cons but Omaha is a very cool city. Even more so now than when I left.

Quote:
2. I have checked out the website family watchdog, and got a little freaked out. Why are there so many people on the registry? And why so many red dots ( child offences )? I would be moving with a small child and I think I may be working my self up over this. How much of an issue is this for residents?
I doubt Omaha is substantially different than any other major city in this regard, and with basic precautions and common sense I doubt you will have any worries.

Quote:
Depending on what you are interested in, there are some various water sports on the Missouri River and various lakes (mostly McConaughy, and to a lesser extent Carter Lake and Lake Manawa) but it's certainly not going to be on par with any sort of oceanfront standard.

Quote:
As an animal owner myself, I would advise that you keep them indoors regardless of location, especially at night. There are simply too many things that can prey on them, especially if they are small.

Beyond that, not much to worry about.

Quote:
6. What are some tips or uncommon things to do or see or be aware of in the area?
If you or anyone in your family is interested in any sort of military/naval history, Freedom Park is an awesome place to visit, and surprisingly few people know about it because it is in an out of the way place.

The Strategic Air Command Museum is also fantastic.

Old 06-18-2019, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderlove View Post
I did forget to mention the raccoons/ trash pandas. We have tons of them in our neighborhood. They don't seem rabid at all but obviously picking up the trash repeatedly & having our security cameras set off by them is annoying.

Overall, small stuff. I did not consider the coyotes another poster mentioned - that would be a concern with pets being outside, so I would take that advice . I just haven't experienced them here myself, probably due to location.

I am enjoying raising my children here. To me there are more pros than cons.
Thank you so much for both answers. A fenced in yard would be a must for us because of kids and dogs. Im from New York and we have our fair share of raccoons too so that wouldnt be to much of an issue. Im glad to hear you feel safe. Omaha has been on many lists of safest places to live, which confused me a little bit due to all the sex offenders. I guess it looks different on a map then it does just living in the area. And as always you have to be on guard with little kids! Im hoping to be in the Papillion, Bellevue, Plattsmouth area, somewhere around there! South Omaha i guess. I still look forward to the move, just will have my radar up a little more!

Old 06-18-2019, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
I was born in Omaha and moved to Tampa when I was starting high school. They both have their pros and cons but Omaha is a very cool city. Even more so now than when I left.

I doubt Omaha is substantially different than any other major city in this regard, and with basic precautions and common sense I doubt you will have any worries.

Depending on what you are interested in, there are some various water sports on the Missouri River and various lakes (mostly McConaughy, and to a lesser extent Carter Lake and Lake Manawa) but it's certainly not going to be on par with any sort of oceanfront standard.

As an animal owner myself, I would advise that you keep them indoors regardless of location, especially at night. There are simply too many things that can prey on them, especially if they are small.

Beyond that, not much to worry about.

If you or anyone in your family is interested in any sort of military/naval history, Freedom Park is an awesome place to visit, and surprisingly few people know about it because it is in an out of the way place.

The Strategic Air Command Museum is also fantastic.
Thank you so much!
I am not expecting to have ocean views lol but was just curious if there were lakes to go to for local swimming, but hopefully we would have a pool for this eventually. I let my dog out in my yard now for a before bed bathroom break so as long as i would with a few minutes in the dark thats fine for us!

And yes you are right. I sometimes forget that Omaha is the city area. Coming from Long Island, NY we dont have many offenders in the area, but if I was to look at say the City, Manhattan or something like that I would assume that there would be the same amount of offenders.

Thank you for all of your imput!!

Old 07-02-2019, 11:18 PM

226 posts, read 577,574 times

I've lived in the Omaha area before. It is a nice, Midwestern city, especially to raise a family. But, it is not the most favorite place I've lived.

Not sure about all that.

Fairly small damsite lakes around the city, the Missouri River, some nearby lakes in Iowa. It won't be anything like what you're used to in Long Island, realistically.

I think you're worrying way to much. There is not really notable problems regarding that in Omaha.

5. What is your overall favorite thing to do in the Omaha area? Watch corn grow. (A joke) Old Market probably.

Uncommon? I'm not sure. As far as common, I would prepare for high taxes, a lot of potholes in streets, but on the flipside, there is the Old Market to see, BoysTown, Westroads Mall, some sports, concerts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha