Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 02:23 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,617,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post

I'd also love to see some statistics to back this one up. The statistics that I've heard are different.
Hmm becuase I'm sure all of these single parents with 6 kids on welfare aren't helping your argument on that one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 02:23 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,065,889 times
Marriage is not a constitutional right. It's something that the state regulates--and decide how it is done. Our state has decided that men and women marry. The fact that one may not want that does not mean that you don't have the right to marry.

If I want to ride a motorcycle, the state requires I get a motorcycle license, and that I'm over the age of 16. I do not have the right to ride one unless I meet minimum requirements.

Nebraska is also a right to work state. My boss can fire me tomorrow for any reason--whether I'm gay, straight, have blue hair, or whatever. No reason is required.

As for the gay bashers attacking someone physically because they're perceived as gay? We have laws on the books already for that. Those people need to be punished to the full extent of the law.

Old 06-18-2008, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehenningsen View Post
I know many people who have lived with people they are in love with for many years, and I have been living with mine for 2 years and it keeps getting better... But, you're probably right, two gay men cannot love each other like a man and a woman... So go ahead and keep forcing your religeous and political agenda on our lives like as if we will some day change 'our decision' and go straight and society will never have to remember this horrible period of human history where people went awry and 'decided' to go gay...

Have I mentioned religion in this discussion?

Old 06-18-2008, 02:27 PM

240 posts, read 504,461 times
This is so ridiculous.

It's amazing that people still live in a bubble with no understanding of a changing society. I always think that if you don't except change, then you will be a bitter older person.

The fundemental issue is that this lifestyle exists and if, getting back to our city, Omaha wants to compete with other mid-sized cities in luring talent and companies, this attitude has to change and become more excepting.

That is the bottom line. Like it or don't, but why would anyone want to limit Omaha's potential by having a non-inclusive attitude toward any group of people? Especially a group of people who consistantly rank near the top in income and education.

Old 06-18-2008, 02:27 PM

1,119 posts, read 4,197,899 times
Default ...

Tell me kdbrich...

Why do you think gay people should not marry each other?

Old 06-18-2008, 02:28 PM

Default ...

BTW, each time you stick up for the anti-gay crowd, you get +1 Jesus point!

Your up 6 points today!

Old 06-18-2008, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehenningsen View Post
Tell me kdbrich...

Why do you think gay people should not marry each other?

Why should they? Why not multiple wives? Multiple husbands?

Why should we be required to change our laws because a vocal minority wants special exceptions to the rules?

BTW...who is really more offensive here? Me? Or you, who is resorting to comments of "BTW, each time you stick up for the anti-gay crowd, you get +1 Jesus point!" as above?

Am I not allowed to have convictions, just as you do? Why not show a little tolerance?

Old 06-18-2008, 02:35 PM

1,167 posts, read 1,520,004 times
Having convictions is one thing. Posting them in a thread about an event that is supposed to show how far not only the Gay and Lesbian Community has come, but also how far we all have come in understanding and loving people for who they are, that is kind of mean!

I think I should get +1 Jesus points every time I care about someone enough to not care what they do in their bedroom!

I am very glad that our society (at least most of us) are open minded enough to be proud to host an event like this!!!! Almost every school in Omaha has a GSLA, which shows that our youth are much more open minded!

Old 06-18-2008, 02:36 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,617,293 times
We're not talking about multiple spouses. What is wrong with 2 men or 2 women having the legal benefits of marriage?

And I'm sure the people who were slaves were a vocal minority who wanted those laws changed too.

Old 06-18-2008, 02:37 PM

Default ...

I'll answer those questions AFTER you answer my initial question...

Answer this question: Why do you think my and my partner after 2 years of dating and in love should be with-held from being married and reckognized as being married by law..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha