Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 08:56 AM

605 posts, read 1,198,895 times

Advertisements

This thread is for discussion about what an Omaha Gay Village might need, ie space for commercial, office and residential. I don't think Omaha needs anymore gay bars. I think it be nice to see some restaurants in a gay district. Someone once suggested Hamburger Mary's to me. Ever heard of it? They said it was a gay owned business, and I know some lesbians with kids. I think it would be nice if they had a place to take their family and especially kids that caters to their needs, since Nebraska goes out of its way to ignore gay families.

Any other suggestions?

Old 11-26-2008, 09:05 AM

1,119 posts, read 4,199,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfOmaha View Post
This thread is for discussion about what an Omaha Gay Village might need, ie space for commercial, office and residential. I don't think Omaha needs anymore gay bars. I think it be nice to see some restaurants in a gay district. Someone once suggested Hamburger Mary's to me. Ever heard of it? They said it was a gay owned business, and I know some lesbians with kids. I think it would be nice if they had a place to take their family and especially kids that caters to their needs, since Nebraska goes out of its way to ignore gay families.

Any other suggestions?

I think a district has been evolving in DT for some time, but I agree that it should accelerate some more

Old 11-26-2008, 09:26 AM

1,362 posts, read 4,619,196 times
A good friend and I lovingly refer to the area Downtown. Between 14th and 20th and Jones to Leavenworth as "The Assless Chaps District". That's where most of the gay bars are as well as the Rainbow Outreach Center. I think it would be nice to have an actual district established around something there.

Old 11-26-2008, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTO Luv View Post
A good friend and I lovingly refer to the area Downtown. Between 14th and 20th and Jones to Leavenworth as "The Assless Chaps District". That's where most of the gay bars are as well as the Rainbow Outreach Center. I think it would be nice to have an actual district established around something there.
I wish the owner of the Max had bought some of the buildings near the Max as well. Maybe he could have rented out resident or commercial space with those buildings. The pawn shop across the street, the owner is very anti-gay in my perception. The guy that owns the garage next door, doesn't seem to be very gay friendly either. The building they just turned into condos, where the Joy was, was empty for many years.

Old 11-26-2008, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehenningsen View Post
I think a district has been evolving in DT for some time, but I agree that it should accelerate some more
You know how Omaha pressed to build the Qwest Center, I think any gay ditrict that emerges should have an event center of its own as an anchor, where gay singers and other gay artists from around the country can perform. An Omaha Gay District could become a Gay Mecca for the Plains. Have you ever visited the Aksarben village website. I think the gay village should follow that in some respect.

Old 11-26-2008, 10:30 AM

1,362 posts, read 4,619,196 times
What did you guys think of having Pride at the river this year? I missed all the Saturday events but I heard there were lots of people down there. I went Friday and I would have liked to have had it closer to the bars though. That's my only gripe is that once you're at the river you're stuck there.

Old 11-27-2008, 08:37 AM

737 posts, read 1,917,109 times
Thank God I live, work and play in west Omaha.

Old 11-27-2008, 06:44 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,070,365 times
I've never heard of ANY area designated as hetero or homo.

We constantly hear people whining that gay people are not treated as "normal"...but then you guys are suggesting that we have a "gay" district?

Old 11-28-2008, 12:14 AM

1,295 posts, read 2,510,190 times
Gay districts are good for any city. Gay people have redeveloped dangerous inner city neighborhoods in cities all over the country and made them attractive, safe and fun, and as a result have increased the tax base and lowered crime rates. Intolerant cities are the most boring, depressing places in the nation. Tolerant cities tend to be vibrant, dynamic and fun. These are just my observations based on life experience and extensive travel. Omaha seems to be somewhere in the middle, but certainly far from a leader in this area.

Old 11-28-2008, 10:49 AM

737 posts, read 1,917,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithy77 View Post
Gay districts are good for any city. Gay people have redeveloped dangerous inner city neighborhoods in cities all over the country and made them attractive, safe and fun, and as a result have increased the tax base and lowered crime rates. Intolerant cities are the most boring, depressing places in the nation. Tolerant cities tend to be vibrant, dynamic and fun. These are just my observations based on life experience and extensive travel. Omaha seems to be somewhere in the middle, but certainly far from a leader in this area.

Please move into North Omaha. What are you waiting for? I am all for what was just written above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha