Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 03:38 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,620,011 times

Advertisements

Why do you feel the need to force your views on me? If the people voted on re instituting slavery would you that make it ok just because the people voted for it? No. It's fundamentally unfair to say that two consenting adults have to have stipulations put on whether they can get married or not. You're not making any other laws saying that people have to do anything else in order to be married so why single out the gays for it?

It's blatant discrimination. Even our own Attorney General John Brunning, before the passing of Initiative 416 said that he knew Nebraska's law would be unconstitutional and discriminatory and said he didn't care. And he's the AG! The guy that's supposed to keep these things from happening in the first place. He put his own prejudice before the law and has been ok with not upholding the law for over 8 years now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2009, 04:10 PM

516 posts, read 1,338,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
why do you feel the need to force your views on us? The people voted.
Tyranny of the majority. The people are wrong.

Old 04-04-2009, 05:57 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,692,949 times
Quote:
The people also once thought that Africans should be considered property, the people once thought that women weren't smart enough for anything but house work, but that doesn't make it right does it?

Old 04-06-2009, 01:39 AM

605 posts, read 1,199,173 times
Quote:
People like have been forcing their views on us, now its your turn. Get over it.

Old 04-08-2009, 02:30 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,215,957 times
Iowa gets more conservative from East to West. Western Iowa is much different than Eastern.

Just because Council Bluffs is in Iowa doesn't mean gay people are just going to "move there".

Anyone can get married in Iowa and then go back to their home. There's no reason for them to overhaul their entire lives and leave everything behind to move to CB.

Old 04-08-2009, 04:04 PM

267 posts, read 1,232,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Anyone can get married in Iowa and then go back to their home. There's no reason for them to overhaul their entire lives and leave everything behind to move to CB.
I am actually fairly sure that most states still won't legally recognize marriages performed in Iowa. If someone has a definitive answer on this, I'd love to know, but my impression is that most states (see this map: File:Samesex marriage in USA.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, the yellow, orange, and red ones) who have laws banning same-sex marriage will not count it. So if people want to be married, they'll have to live in Iowa or one of the few other states who have legalized gay marriage or who recognize foreign marriages (like NM, NY, RI). Someone please tell me if I'm wrong about this, I actually hope I am.

But I'm not arguing with you that there isn't going to be some huge wave of gays moving to Iowa. Maybe a few couples will move over the border from Omaha or Moline but I doubt anyone is going to pick up and move from Chicago or something just to be married.

Old 04-08-2009, 04:26 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,705,703 times
I'm not rure the OP understands how most "gay" districts in metro areas are formed? Usually this consists of gays (male) gradually moving into dilapidated areas of a city that are usually in great need of gentrification; areas that are usually cheaper because the masses would prefer not to live there and they start renovating it. This is what has happened with larger cities in the country. In Boston, gay men started moving into the South End back in the 1970's when it was a slum with high crime. Unintimidated, they moved in and renovated. Now, in order to live in the South End of Boston you must have a lot of $$ because it is very pricey, and now that it is beautiful, with the stereotypical "boutiques," restaurants, gyms and other shoppes (which are a trademark of gay neighborhoods) the straights with money are gradually moving back in.

Old 04-09-2009, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowegian View Post
I am actually fairly sure that most states still won't legally recognize marriages performed in Iowa. If someone has a definitive answer on this, I'd love to know, but my impression is that most states (see this map: File:Samesex marriage in USA.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, the yellow, orange, and red ones) who have laws banning same-sex marriage will not count it. So if people want to be married, they'll have to live in Iowa or one of the few other states who have legalized gay marriage or who recognize foreign marriages (like NM, NY, RI). Someone please tell me if I'm wrong about this, I actually hope I am.

But I'm not arguing with you that there isn't going to be some huge wave of gays moving to Iowa. Maybe a few couples will move over the border from Omaha or Moline but I doubt anyone is going to pick up and move from Chicago or something just to be married.
Maybe not but the federal DOMA does violate the faith and full credit clause of the Constitution. When a straight couple gets married in Iowa, its recognized in all the 50 states! Iowa's Supreme Court decision opens up this battleground quite well!

Old 04-09-2009, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Why does the religious right feel the need to force their views on gays? People like you want us to keep our sexuality in the closet. Why don't you keep your religion in church!

Old 04-09-2009, 06:21 AM

516 posts, read 1,338,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979 View Post
I'm not rure the OP understands how most "gay" districts in metro areas are formed? Usually this consists of gays (male) gradually moving into dilapidated areas of a city that are usually in great need of gentrification; areas that are usually cheaper because the masses would prefer not to live there and they start renovating it. This is what has happened with larger cities in the country. In Boston, gay men started moving into the South End back in the 1970's when it was a slum with high crime. Unintimidated, they moved in and renovated. Now, in order to live in the South End of Boston you must have a lot of $$ because it is very pricey, and now that it is beautiful, with the stereotypical "boutiques," restaurants, gyms and other shoppes (which are a trademark of gay neighborhoods) the straights with money are gradually moving back in.
Yes, I understand the history here but there has been talk on this board about building a gay neighborhood community from scratch down by Old Market...so I was merely proposing that people's hard-earned dollars go to a state that better supports their needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha