Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 08:48 AM

1,181 posts, read 4,021,091 times

Advertisements

Chicago,

It is NOT true that anyone can just go to Iowa have a gay wedding and then go back home and have the marriage recognized.

The Full Faith and Credit Clause does not reach this far as Congress has stated that states need not recognize same sex marriages performed in other states.

In fact, its almost certain that Nebraska would NOT recognize an Iowa gay marriage of Nebraska citizens. It is more likely to recognize a gay Iowa couple's marriage if they were domiciled in Iowa and later migrated to Nebraska, but even that is unlikely. This will ultimately be a state by state thing that will be decided in the courts.

I just wanted to point out that this is not a clear cut issue. So the only way to be certain you are married is to get married in and live in Iowa (or another state that allows gay marriage).

This debate will go back and forth until the Supreme Court rules on whether gay marriage is a fundamental right or constitutional amendment is passed. The Supreme court has ruled that marriage is a fundamental right, but that is ambiguous when considering "gays." By that I mean, it is clear that a gay person has the fundamental right to get married, but it is not clear that they have a fundamental right to marry someone of the same sex. I believe they do. But the Supreme Court has yet to rule on it either way. Until one of the above happens it will be a non-stop back and forth between state legislatures and state courts with no uniformity between one state and another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 04:22 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,091,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfOmaha View Post
People like have been forcing their views on us, now its your turn. Get over it.

baloney. nobody has denied you the right to get married. you just have rules to follow, as do I. we have the same exact rights when it comes to marriage.

The supreme court of Iowa just told the people of Iowa that their opinion doesn't matter and they created new legislation.

Old 04-09-2009, 05:17 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,713,163 times
But, he can't get married due to his sexual preference he was born with.

Old 04-09-2009, 06:34 PM

3,321 posts, read 4,154,345 times
All gays are not born gay. I bet at least half of them chose to gay. Many would-be straights were turned into gays thru influence of other gay people. Perhaps by molestation as a child, or seduction/peer pressure from other gays in their environment/school/college. Maybe a gay person/couple was kind to you or played a role in your life that might of influenced you to turn gay "like those people that were nice to me" later in life.

Would imagine that looks may play a role for how one might turn out. If you are homely to the opposite sex and cannot shake it with a dynamic personality, you may decide to enter a relationship with one like yourself just so you can be in a relationship. In other words, you take what you can get.

I realize some studies have shown that you can indeed be born gay in a biological sense, your brain might be hardwired gay from birth. Is this the reason all gays are gay, I think not. More often the factors mentioned above play a bigger role in what determines your sexual orientation.

Old 04-09-2009, 07:12 PM

26,492 posts, read 46,863,871 times
Since CB is in Iowa this thread is going over to Iowa.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:19 PM

1,295 posts, read 2,518,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
All gays are not born gay. I bet at least half of them chose to gay. Many would-be straights were turned into gays thru influence of other gay people. Perhaps by molestation as a child, or seduction/peer pressure from other gays in their environment/school/college. Maybe a gay person/couple was kind to you or played a role in your life that might of influenced you to turn gay "like those people that were nice to me" later in life.

Would imagine that looks may play a role for how one might turn out. If you are homely to the opposite sex and cannot shake it with a dynamic personality, you may decide to enter a relationship with one like yourself just so you can be in a relationship. In other words, you take what you can get.

I realize some studies have shown that you can indeed be born gay in a biological sense, your brain might be hardwired gay from birth. Is this the reason all gays are gay, I think not. More often the factors mentioned above play a bigger role in what determines your sexual orientation.
I've been out for 30 years and have been active in gay churches for years and have probably met thousands of gay people in all of the 6 cities I've lived in and I've yet to meet a gay person who chose to be gay. Those who choose their sexuality are considered bisexual. In my experience, bisexuals generally live a 'straight' life (it's more acceptable).

Old 04-09-2009, 08:49 PM

516 posts, read 1,341,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Since CB is in Iowa this thread is going over to Iowa.
Um, yeah but it was created with a discussion about being gay in Omaha in mind...not being gay in Iowa. Putting it in Iowa makes no sense.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:16 PM

267 posts, read 1,234,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacy From Cali View Post
Um, yeah but it was created with a discussion about being gay in Omaha in mind...not being gay in Iowa. Putting it in Iowa makes no sense.
I agree with this. I think this has already been moved here and back once...

I have never understood the argument that being gay is a choice. Why would someone choose to be gay anyway? No one is going to choose to be part of a group that is regularly discriminated against. I've heard stories of people being totally alienated from friends and family because they came out of the closet. Would anyone choose that? I do not mean to say that being gay is "bad", but it's not a lifestyle any normal person would pick.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:52 PM

3,321 posts, read 4,154,345 times
People always try to come up with some medical or scientific reason for their behavior/choices in life, especially choices that society frowns upon or something they are ashamed of. Anything that takes the blame off themselves and gives them an excuse for their behavior is just par for the course.

Sure, sometimes you have to admit it must be genetic, such as the case with Ross the Intern. But sometimes people exhibit genetic traits for gayness but are not necessarily gay. Richard Simmons, for example, has a wife and son and has never admitted to being gay. Yet we know some of his X and Y's are crossed up.

Nope, I don't buy it, being gay is a lifestyle choice and not something your born with for an undetermined percentage.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:57 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,768,818 times
When you read these forums, it become apparent the state of Iowa just isn't ready for this. If there's ever a public vote on it, it will easily be overturned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha