Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 12:40 PM

198 posts, read 931,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgusted View Post
I once drove a fuel-efficient car over a Republican.
HAHA...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2007, 04:21 AM

47 posts, read 170,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirwinston73 View Post
As for racism in OC, I honestly haven't seen it at all, I think it's more of a myth than anything. .
There was a hate crime where a black man in a wheelchair was attacked in Newport Beach. You can look it up at OCRegister.com. I knew someone who grew up in Anaheim in the 70s (a black man) and he and his brother got things yelled at them when they'd walk to school and had things tossed at them as well. I also knew another black girl from Orange County who experienced plenty of racial incidents in high school.

Old 12-12-2007, 06:15 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,204,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirwinston73 View Post
Ok, I only found this site a few weeks ago and wasn't planning on posting a rant so soon, but ... as someone who was born and raised in the NYC area, I'm actually ashamed at how many east coasters seem to have nothing better to do but get online and rag on CA, especially OC.

I'm so sick and tired of hearing New Yorkers whining that "we can't make lifelong true friends in OC." Well gee, guess what ... that's because you haven't been here LIFELONG. Move anywhere, and you will find the same thing.

News flash: I know several people who have moved to NYC or lived there at one time or another due to career, and guess what their #1 complaint was? "We can't meet real friends here." I have a friend who has been there for 5 years and is a great girl and is still saying that.

Whether you're moving to OC, or moving to NYC, you're just not going to make the friends you made growing up. You're not. So grow up and get over it already.

You NY'ers who talk about your deep friendships back home: Those people aren't your true friends because they're from NY. It's because you've known them for 10, 20 years, or more. You went to school together, grew up together, worked together for years, etc., etc.

You want those kinds of friends here in OC? Then live here for 10+ years and it will happen, but please, PLEASE, stop whining that you've been here for a year and don't have friendship and loyalty to compare to your 20+ year friends back home. That's totally unrealistic and makes you look like an idiot.

Oh yeah, my girlfriend's best friend who lives in Manhattan just visited us for the first time. Her favorite thing about Newport Beach? Here's here exact words: "When you meet people they don't give you the stuck-up once over that everyone in Manhattan gives you."

'Nuff said. Sorry for the rant, but enough is enough already with this.

Good comments. I totally agree with you. We've lived in this small bedroom community since 1991 (16 years now) in NE OH, and our friendships are as deep as their going to get with the townies here. The worst part about all of this is that both hubby and I grew up less than 10 minutes from where we're living now. It's not as though we moved thousands of miles to live here, yet it feels like it sometimes. The people here have lived here for several generations or more and unless you grew up here, graduated here, etc., you will never be involved with certain activities or in any leadership type activities. The same people run just about everything here. On the other hand, I know that I've not made a huge attempt to become like the people here and that's why most of my friendships are not very deep. Frankly, I'm not interested in small town gossip or what Mabel is doing or what her kids or husband did/do. I don't know the intracacies of people's marriages/relationships because I don't care. I think that people can find friends when they hang out in places where they enjoy being. Others that are like-minded will be there too. A few good like-minded friends or even one good, trustworthy friend is more than enough.

Old 12-12-2007, 02:33 PM

29 posts, read 45,415 times
Default I haven't made a single long term friend since I moved here from Philly

Californians are self centered jerks!

I can tell if I run into someone from back east before they even mention it.

It's called being friendly....creeps!

Old 12-14-2007, 04:43 PM

107 posts, read 580,169 times
its "out-east" not "back-east."

"out here" is just "here" now. like Italians in Italy don't call the
food they eat "Italian food"... they just call it "food." so
"back-east" becomes "out-east"

one would only say "back east" when he is there. example, standing in Philly, one would say..."man, its great to be back-east"

people from out east are the same as people from back west.

Old 12-14-2007, 04:50 PM

240 posts, read 888,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgusted View Post
I once drove a fuel-efficient car over a Republican.
I've mostly voted for Democrats but think that HUMMERS rule!

Ya see, Proud American, the stereotypes often don't fit.

Old 12-14-2007, 04:52 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,444,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waggie View Post
its "out-east" not "back-east."

"out here" is just "here" now. like Italians in Italy don't call the
food they eat "Italian food"... they just call it "food." so
"back-east" becomes "out-east"

one would only say "back east" when he is there. example, standing in Philly, one would say..."man, its great to be back-east"

people from out east are the same as people from back west.
Are you from this country?

Everyone calls it back east regardless of where they're from.

Old 12-14-2007, 05:07 PM

107 posts, read 580,169 times
I wasn't born in the US, but been here a very long while. It's part of a Tom Leykis rant regarding "back east" that i really enjoy hearing. So i've been using "back west" when the need arise... gets a lot of amusing results. besides, i'm not from back east, i'm from so cal, so, i call it back west when i'm out east.

Old 12-15-2007, 10:30 PM

605 posts, read 866,125 times
out east back east whatever
we are all gonna die whether we are driving a Prius or a freaking Fiat for gods sakes.
The things people argue over.
A Proud American is senator for CA in HB...DR

Old 12-15-2007, 10:49 PM

543 posts, read 1,900,444 times
hmmm...I always assumed we said "back east" because the United States originated in the east and moved west. I took it as that. " Back east" meant from where the states originated, and "out west" is what the pioneers said when referring to the movement west, as in "We are moving out west". Now I am really confused. Oh well whatever, I don't get upset when people say "the OC" instead of "OC" either. I wish that was all I had to worry about!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County