Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2020, 02:13 PM

15 posts, read 29,730 times

Advertisements

My research continues into OC prior to my move. Let’s get some spicy questions answered.

To better understand how life is there, I have specific questions that might help me decide on which city in OC I should consider. My priority is South County (LN or dana point?), but feedback from North OC and all over is welcome (except HB).

1. How are the neighbors? Which city in OC is most “neighborly.” For example, if I slip and fall down in the street and break both my legs and my cell phone flies away from me, will people pass by and ignore or will someone try to help by calling 911?

2. How is pet ownership? I have large dogs who are NEVER off leash. Which city is best for people who follow rules and keep their dogs on leash at all times (unless in an off-leash area) and also everyone picks up their dog poop? However, don’t get me wrong, I don’t want mega Karens screaming if my dog barks at them when they pass by and make a big deal about peeing on the sidewalk tree.

3. How hands on are the HOA’s? Which city has the strictest HOA’s? How strict is strict?

4. Why are there so many anti-masker and/or anti-BLM videos coming out of OC? What is happening? Every time I hit re-fresh, there is a new anti-masker screaming at people in a store and 70% of the time, it’s a video from OC. What has happened to OC to contribute to this culture? Which city might one hide in to avoid this kind of unpleasant scene?

5. Out of curiosity, what are the differences between Tustin, North Tustin and Tustin Ranch?

6. Is there a way to purchase/secure a seasonal beach parking?

Thanks again….. hope to hear from you all. So far, last post was VERY helpful.

-C2020
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2020, 03:21 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coronavirus2020 View Post
My research continues into OC prior to my move. Let’s get some spicy questions answered.

To better understand how life is there, I have specific questions that might help me decide on which city in OC I should consider. My priority is South County (LN or dana point?), but feedback from North OC and all over is welcome (except HB).

1. How are the neighbors? Which city in OC is most “neighborly.” For example, if I slip and fall down in the street and break both my legs and my cell phone flies away from me, will people pass by and ignore or will someone try to help by calling 911?

2. How is pet ownership? I have large dogs who are NEVER off leash. Which city is best for people who follow rules and keep their dogs on leash at all times (unless in an off-leash area) and also everyone picks up their dog poop? However, don’t get me wrong, I don’t want mega Karens screaming if my dog barks at them when they pass by and make a big deal about peeing on the sidewalk tree.

3. How hands on are the HOA’s? Which city has the strictest HOA’s? How strict is strict?

4. Why are there so many anti-masker and/or anti-BLM videos coming out of OC? What is happening? Every time I hit re-fresh, there is a new anti-masker screaming at people in a store and 70% of the time, it’s a video from OC. What has happened to OC to contribute to this culture? Which city might one hide in to avoid this kind of unpleasant scene?

5. Out of curiosity, what are the differences between Tustin, North Tustin and Tustin Ranch?

-C2020
Well, those are not all easy questions to answer, because they presuppose intimate knowledge of every South OC city, and most people have only lived in two or three at the most.

I can answer #6. Yes, you can buy an annual beach parking permit for parking lots at county beaches, but there isn't a parking lot at absolutely every beach you might want to go to. Sometimes you just have to park on the street and put money in the meter (or learn where to park in unmetered neighborhoods).

I can also say that I have never witnessed #4 anywhere in OC that I have been in the past six months, and I've been out and about a lot.

I don't live in a city you are interested in (I'm in RSM), but we have had very few encounters with our HOA in the 23 years we've been here. In fact, I think there have only been two: We were once asked to trim some bushes that were extending too far over the wall into a common area, and we had to sign off to allow our neighbors to install a tall play structure that would be visible from our back yard (which we were happy to do). Otherwise, they have been live and let live.

I do know that our friends in Aliso Viejo have to deal with a much more stringent HOA, which has rules such as requiring cars to be parked in the garage only. Our friends were reported by someone for parking their car on the driveway (they had moved a parent into their house, and her furniture was temporarily taking up garage space). I would have a difficult time dealing with that level of regulation. But it varies so much by city and people who live in other OC cities will have to report on their own situation. Some areas don't have an HOA at all.

Last edited by saibot; 09-01-2020 at 03:30 PM..

Old 09-01-2020, 03:57 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,683,351 times
Aliso Viejo has about 60 different neighborhoods, including SFRs, townhouse/condo, and apartment communities.
https://alisoviejoneighborhoods.com/

I don't know know how many neighborhood HOAs are in the city, but each one sets its own rules and regulations; including those regarding parking within the development. Residents vote for the HOA directors, and are always free to kick them out of they don't like the way the community is run.

There is also a citywide HOA in Aliso, and everyone who either lives or owns a business here belongs to it. AV's HOA is not involved in street parking issues, matters concerning garage doors, etc. They are tasked with the maintenance and beautification of the city's parks, green slopes, trees, and medians. They are involved in managing recreational events and venues, like movie night out, winter holiday tree lightings, etc. Plus, they oversee the Aquatic Center and golf course.

The City of Aliso Viejo (Not an HOA) is responsible for building permits, general safety, and health. For example, they contract with Orange County for police and fire services. The city does not allow parking on most main streets, and I'm very glad for that.

Old 09-01-2020, 04:35 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,683,351 times
Quote:

-C2020
Some of the behaviors you noted may, on occasion, be linked to an individual's politics. OC is changing.

Orange County turns blue: Democrats outnumber GOP in long-time conservative haven
The place where "the good Republicans go to die" is no longer a hotbed of conservatism. Demographics and Trump get credit for the change.
https://www.ocregister.com/2019/08/0...orange-county/

Old 09-01-2020, 08:47 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:

Really depends on your neighborhood. I saw a guy take a dive on his bike and I stopped rendered first aid called ambulance. Ive stopped for people at accidents or broken down. But if I see someone hurt where they fell down broke both their legs and their cell phone flew away from them....I may stop and nudge the phone back to them slowly so I watch them crawl to get it begging for help. If it’s a really nice phone I’ll pick it up and take it. Wouldn’t wanna scratch it by nudging it on concrete. It’s a nice phone for Christ’s sake. Can’t treat a expensive phone like a cheap burner phone.
But yeah all joking aside I would stop to help in a emergency.

As long as you own or the rental allows your pets it’s not a problem. My biggest issue with dogs is when owners are deaf and never hear them barking.

Depends on the HOA. My HOA when I lived in one were very hands on. Sometimes a title too much. But it’s all good. You move in a HOA you know the rules

OC was very republican/Conservative. My personal take on masks is you don’t want to wear one...you shouldn’t be forced to wear one. But people should be able to tell you to stay away from them respect their private space AND if a store tells you to gtfo because you’re not wearing a mask as per THEIR PRIVATELY OWNED PLACE OF BUSINESS....RESPECT THEIR RULES AND .....GTFO
As far as BLM....you aren’t going to get conservative support when you’re acting like a bunch of rabid animals burning looting threatening and attacking people who don’t share your views and burning down buildings. A good amount of people in OC are conservatives with the stay out of my business attitude.

Tustin/north Tustin is just Tustin. Tustin Ranch is a development in the city of Tustin. The land/area is owned by The Irvine Company ..

No. Beach parking on public parking lots is first come first serve.

-C2020
Some of your questions are too general to be answered focused. Pets are widely accepted in OC. Some HOAs are better rain than others.

Last edited by Electrician4you; 09-01-2020 at 09:04 PM..

Old 09-01-2020, 09:24 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Quote:

-C2020
Maybe I misunderstood this question. Can you get a seasonal / annual paid parking pass for county beaches, yes. Can you get your own dedicated parking spot, certainly not.

Old 09-03-2020, 05:15 AM

252 posts, read 422,402 times
Dana Point, and south county.....Been in Orange County since 1955 . After retirement, we moved from Seal Beach and Huntington Harbor to Kauai Island , Hawaii for 10 years. We moved back to the mainland, and chose Dana Point, and have been here for five years now, and absolutely love it.

Many of the people here in south county have Aloha, and don;t even know it. , great people, friendly, helpful, and easy to meet and talk story with. That is not everyone , but we share greetings, with the happy folks , and life is good.

Dogs: Dana Point is like the dog capital of the planet. However, many dog owners have zero knowledge on how to train or socialize their dogs. Leashes should be 6 ft, so that the owner has control. We see some owners with those fishing reel super long wire leashes, that are absolutely useless, and the dog is walking the owner, and not under control. Other , have trained their animals to heel, and the owner is the pack leader, not the dog. And, I love dogs, and dogs love me.

Wearing masks, no big deal for those who respect others:

Everywhere we go, and I will get to how we handle the rules and covid in a bit...but we see people here in Dana Point, and our sister towns of San Juan Capistrano, and San Clemente wearing masks, and practicing social distancing. No problem. Going out, we wear our masks into and out of the open air areas of the restaurants, and also to the markets and stores, and even if going into gas stations to pay for the fuel. Dana Point harbor, they want us to wear masks, when walking around the Marina, we do that. So do most others.

The not wearing a mask bunch, who say their constitutional rights are being stepped on, are in the minority, and most of them have not done a thing to serve this country and actually earned their citizenship. From what we see the great majority of people here in south county are definitely following all of the rules, and respecting others.

We do not wear our masks when on the hiking the coastal, inland and wilderness trails. But, we do keep our distances when passing others, fact is we see very few people on the trails, other than walking the beach, and shore line.

Beach Parking....GO EARLY for open beach parking. Some you have to pay a small parking fee....Doheney Beach, we have a pass, also just a few bucks a year. We also have a pass for Crystal Cove, beach and trails ( north of Laguna Beach ).

Also, in our moving back pre planning, we wanted to be within walking distance to the beach, we found that property in Dana Point, and can walk to Salt Creek Beach, and Stands Beach in a very few short minutes. And, sometimes instead of driving down to Dana Point Harbor and Marina, we will walk from home . Very nice walk, and have lunch and a libation, walk along the boats, and enjoy the day, and fresh ocean breezes

Over the years, here in OC, I have lived in many, many different towns and cities, at the beach and inland, and we absolutely love living in Dana Point, and visiting our sister towns, and hiking the many trails, going out to dinner...( open air seating ) for date nights, and after long hikes . There are many great places and a fun and a great variety of foods , drinks and ambiance. we also have found, very nice view bbq parks, so we add that to our positive life style.

South Orange County is a marvelous place to live, and we make our own good times.....even during Covid, and following the procedures set up by the knowledgeable and professional organizations. Oh, we do not drink Lysol as proposed by
the white house.

Just quickly, a few of our fave going out for dinner , and drinks. We choose places that are open air, and follow the safety rules for covid. This is not all of them, but will give you a bit of a heads up.

Dana Point: Watermans, Harpoon Henrys, Salt Creek, Chart House, Carlos Mexican, Jimmys, Proud Mary's, Jacks's,
Brio Tuscany, and several more.

San Juan Capistrano: Le Horrendile, Cedar Creek, Trevors by the Tracks, etc.

Again,, those are just a few, and when this Covid ends, there are many, many more that have indoor seating.

Others have helped you with the HOA, and home ownership in Orange County.

No matter your decision, have a grand time in your new HOME TOWN.

Old 09-03-2020, 10:16 PM

426 posts, read 352,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Some of your questions are too general to be answered focused. Pets are widely accepted in OC. Some HOAs are better rain than others.
North Tustin (zip code 92705) is unincorporated Orange County and not part of the City of Tustin. It uses OC County Sheriff and Fire Department and many houses are zoned to Tustin Unified Schools (Foothill) while others are zoned to Orange Unified.

Old 09-03-2020, 10:28 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amokk View Post
North Tustin (zip code 92705) is unincorporated Orange County and not part of the City of Tustin. It uses OC County Sheriff and Fire Department and many houses are zoned to Tustin Unified Schools (Foothill) while others are zoned to Orange Unified.
Ok. I thought it was part of the city of Tudtin.

Old 09-04-2020, 01:43 PM

15 posts, read 29,730 times
Thank you all. This is all great info. very helpful.

Yes, looks like Dana Point is sounding more and more my type of town. Cant wait to move. There was a sudden burst of numerous listings from OC (even south county) since yesterday... I am becoming hopeful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County