Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2021, 10:54 AM

4 posts, read 5,509 times

Advertisements

Good afternoon;

I work for the Immigration in Baltimore, we are opening a new court in Santa Ana, CA, I was thinking of putting in a transfer request. Been in MD my whole life (except for a 1 yr in TX), looking for a change. Any recommendations on decent housing, ie apts, or locations to live? Totally new to this. I have to submit request by Fri 4/22. I'm a GS-11, so roughly 72.8K salary. Not a beach person, I prefer to stay home or eat out, but that's about it. Appreciate any advice!! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2021, 12:22 PM

6,369 posts, read 2,703,569 times
A 72K/year Salary can be done in Orange County, but it does make it a bit harder.

What is your monthly budget for your apartment? Would you be okay with just a Studio or do you want at least a 1 Bedroom? This is going to be the biggest factor in the areas you should start to look at.

Figuring that the new court will be in the Government Complexes in Downtown Santa Ana. That area is going through a revitalization. What that means is that they are building a lot of new apartments, and have restaurants, more culture, etc.
But they are also higher-end apartments that are going to be well over $2000/month even for just a Studio. You can find cheaper apartments in the area but those will also be older apartments in areas that are a bit more sketchy.

Are you willing to commute? If so how far? Do you have a car or are you going to need to rely on Public Transportation?

By the way 4/22 is Thursday, not Friday. If you can cancel your request, perhaps you should at least put it in to see what happens.

Old 04-20-2021, 12:44 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,299,218 times
I would try to contact peers in Santa Ana and see where they live.

Santa Ana itself has good areas and bad ones; then there is Orange, Garden Grove, Westminster, Costa Mesa, Fountain Valley & Tustin, to start.

I think it is a great idea to step outside your comfort zone and try something new.

Old 04-20-2021, 02:14 PM

Hi Frank - I don't mind sketchier areas - born and raised in Baltimore! I'll probably buy a used car. I'll check out apts, thanks Frank!
Looking forward to it!! It's going to be on Dyer Ave, if that means anything. I'll be GS-12 next year (82k)

Old 04-20-2021, 02:15 PM

Oh, PS: I'll be GS-12 next year ($82K)

Old 04-20-2021, 03:23 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,781,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3packabs View Post
Hi Frank - I don't mind sketchier areas - born and raised in Baltimore! I'll probably buy a used car. I'll check out apts, thanks Frank!
Looking forward to it!! It's going to be on Dyer Ave, if that means anything. I'll be GS-12 next year (82k)
Have you checked the income tax in CA and apt costs? Then realize gas prices and auto registration is high also. At your pay if you have no significant debt and don't mind a commute to work, there will be OK areas fairly close and some nicer ones further out. I have no idea of your costs now, so cannot make any specific recommendations as to where to rent.

Old 04-20-2021, 03:47 PM

6,369 posts, read 2,703,569 times
I am actually familiar with Dyer, and apparently a bit off as to where you may be working at. The area you will be at is a few miles away from the Downtown area and is overall a decent area. Mostly commercial or commercial/residential mix depending on what end of Dyer you are on.

So in addition to Santa Ana, you are within a few miles of the cities of Tustin and Irvine. A bit farther, but still within 5-10 miles you have places such as Orange, Costa Mesa, and Anaheim.

Old 04-21-2021, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Dyer Road is a relatively short street (turns to Segerstrom on west end, Barranca on east end) in way south Santa Ana. That is even more reason to look in Tustin, especially the Tustin Legacy area and north Costa Mesa.

LOTS of people in OC are living on less than $82k and doing just fine.

PS If you have not used it before, Zillow.com is a great resource for finding apartments and home. Westside Rentals is too.

Old 04-21-2021, 12:25 PM

5,587 posts, read 8,401,301 times
Quote:
Oh, PS: I'll be GS-12 next year ($82K)
13% bump? Wow, I should've worked for the government.

Old 04-21-2021, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
13% bump? Wow, I should've worked for the government.
First, you don't know how long they spent at GS11, second, the same work in the private sector would pay about 25% more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County