Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 08:51 AM

4,437 posts, read 4,865,646 times

Advertisements

One more question lol. I did visit some real estate sites, again kind of hard to get a real solid picture. They all say nice neighborhood, senic water views etc.I know you cannot always trust the pics that are posted with houses,I take pics as a hobby. Some of the pics look like they were taken with a super telephoto lense of a lake 10 miles away while they stood on the roof of the house while they carefully avoided including the trailer park from the pic. Is it possible to get a decent house in a decent area with a decent waterview, also having view of mountains would be a plus.Under 2000 sq. ft. 2 bedroom/bath. Do not need acreage, a 100x100 ft lot would do. for $300 to $350,000. I do realize I will eventualy have to come visit, just want to know if it's worth the trip or am I just dreaming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2007, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperial1904 View Post
There's no humidity, it's pretty dry.

Klamath Falls is a very slow paced town with not much going on. Unless you like outdoor activities such as off-roading, hiking, camping, fishing, etc., Klamath Falls really doesn't have anything to offer. I know someone will disagree. Some locals love the place while others (specifically people who moved here from California) feel 'stuck' here.
Sounds good to me

Old 05-15-2007, 09:15 AM

We were cosidering other parts of NW, but don't think rain/gloom would be good. I don't think I would like it, especialy my wife. She is into her flowers/gardens etc. We love to take our dogs down to the bay where we are. Is it pet friendly there or would we get a ticket if we let our dogs loose by the lakes etc. I do like to get out and do some fishing, take some pics.

Old 05-15-2007, 10:42 AM

840 posts, read 6,514,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post
One more question lol. I did visit some real estate sites, again kind of hard to get a real solid picture. They all say nice neighborhood, senic water views etc.I know you cannot always trust the pics that are posted with houses,I take pics as a hobby. Some of the pics look like they were taken with a super telephoto lense of a lake 10 miles away while they stood on the roof of the house while they carefully avoided including the trailer park from the pic. Is it possible to get a decent house in a decent area with a decent waterview, also having view of mountains would be a plus.Under 2000 sq. ft. 2 bedroom/bath. Do not need acreage, a 100x100 ft lot would do. for $300 to $350,000. I do realize I will eventualy have to come visit, just want to know if it's worth the trip or am I just dreaming.

It really depends on the area. Most of the views are either on the hills overlooking the town and lakes or waterfront property. For your price range you should be able to get a decent home. If you visit, you should visit other towns that have more to offer that have more jobs to offer.

Klamath Falls is actually called the "sunshine town" or something like that. Doesn't rain as much as, for example, the coast.

As for pets, I think there's a leesh law although I'm not certain. I always leesh my dog anyway when I take him for a walk.

Old 05-15-2007, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperial1904 View Post
It really depends on the area. Most of the views are either on the hills overlooking the town and lakes or waterfront property. For your price range you should be able to get a decent home. If you visit, you should visit other towns that have more to offer that have more jobs to offer.

Klamath Falls is actually called the "sunshine town" or something like that. Doesn't rain as much as, for example, the coast.

As for pets, I think there's a leesh law although I'm not certain. I always leesh my dog anyway when I take him for a walk.
Thanks for all the replies. What other towns that would offer lakeviews etc. I know there must be many. Just a few that I might be interested in that I can look up. We are good neighbors when It comes to our dogs, fenced in yard, do not let them bark . We do keep them on leashes/ carry doggy bags to clean up if they have to go during our walks. We only let them loose by the bay if it is in area that there is really not anyone around. If someone shows up and seems to be bothered by our dogs , we just simply put their leashes back on.Out in San Diego where my daughter lives, they have a beach where dogs can run free. It was pretty cool to see these dogs running around playing in the surf and sand.

Old 05-15-2007, 11:12 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,819,429 times
There are definitely leash laws - most city and county parks allow dogs on leash (some don't - Moore Park, for instance, has an area where dogs are allowed but another area where dogs are not).

A lot of the wildlife refugees in the northwest don't allow dogs because they disturb or chase the birds.

Old 05-15-2007, 11:23 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,819,429 times
There are a bunch of off-leash beaches in Oregon and Washington, too - generally "off leash" is a larger city kind of thing.

Where I'm living now, in the Portland area, there are probably 10-12 good-sized off leash parks, between half an acre and 10 acres (we had one that was close to 50 fenced acres, but, alas, it's under multi-use development). There are a few on the Columbia River as well.

I understand that the city of Klamath Falls is considering an off-leash park, although I have no idea where the process is - whether it's just at the wishful discussion stages or if they're moving ahead with an actual park.

As for where houses are in relation to the lakes - assuming you can get an address for a property, you can always pull it up on a street map and see how far it actually is from whatever it has a view of. There are quite a few places that have a gorgeous view of Mt. Shasta, and while Mt. Shasta isn't all that close, it's big enough that it doesn't matter.

Old 05-15-2007, 11:49 AM

We do have a dog park a little ways from where I currently live, I do take my girls there sometimes. The pup is a year old now moderator cut

Last edited by Waterlily; 05-15-2007 at 11:28 PM.. Reason: links

Old 05-17-2007, 04:04 AM

1 posts, read 9,777 times
OK folks, here is my spin. I was coerced into moving here by my wife so she could finally have her life long dream of living in Oregon. We moved here from the wonderful, exciting land of L.A. where's there's lots of night life, culture, jobs, excitement, diversity, famous and rich people, world famous beaches, smog, grid-lock, car-jacking, gangs, road rage, drive-bys, murders, sales tax.

It is a town that is not for people who are looking for the big city in a small town. It is a town that is trying very hard to survive and reinvent itself after being victims of outsider politics. It is a town for us older folks who have had enough of the big city (I have lived in LA, Oakland, Sacra-damn-ento, San Diego and Honolulu).

As to it's culture we have a performing arts theater that wows professional national and international touring acts...and I am witness to that wow'ed expression (Garth Brooks on nationwide TV called it his second favorite venue)... that took NO GOVERNMENT $ in the over $8 million it took to remodel and expand...totally community supported along with some matching grants.

We have nationally known artists and even a few known actors hiding away here. A member of the Acadamy of Arts and Sciences and Director's Guild owns property here (my former boss at the production company I worked at in Hollywierd).

What has hurt Klamath Falls is the political activists who don't live here and influence political machine in Portland to make laws and rulings that don't affect them while they reap the benefits of our tax dollars. It has also become a place where Californians have come to escape and help our children to revisit a time when we were young in the San Fernando VAlley and life was safer and simpler.

Crime? My former drummer in LA is an LAPD detective, and I told her how they have this little tiny section in the news paper called, "Public Safety" which lists all of the police action from the day before, including petty theft reports. Her remark? "One small section....on one page?". It is one of the few places left in America where it is legal for honest, clean criminal record people to defend themselves. Where the cops and sherriffs can do their jobs and the criminals can complain all they want. (our jail capacity, 144, present census 125 and the inmates have to pay for certain amenities)

And the theater's offerings not New York enough? The Ross Ragland Theater hosts touring acts out of New York and Classical musicians who are international touring artists who think Carnegy Hall is small. Ticket prices for concerts and events never exceed $40. No rock and roll, but they're too small to afford those guys sometimes.

OK, ok, ok! If it will keep our population at its present level and prevent more unappreciative people moving here, and encourage the whiners to move...then...Yeah, It sucks here!

But if you want a good community feel where people on a whole are friendly and neighborly...then welcome!

Old 05-23-2007, 11:56 AM

7 posts, read 62,776 times
Great post Big-Technie. I plan to move to KFFE area within 8 years and what you describe is exactly what I'm looking for. Along with all backpacking possibilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon