Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2021, 07:30 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,838,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post

Landlord too... So I get to deal with demanding tenants who think they can arrive with an animal,. And. $x,xxx,xxx lawsuits where a tenant's unauthorized friendly animal puts the mailman in the hospital.
I used to allow them until someone moved and left a couple of rather large and non-rehomeable dogs behind as well as a couple of half-feral cats that we were never able to tame or trap. No more, and if someone comes along with as "ESA," whoops, there was another application in front of theirs, sorry.

Old 12-10-2021, 07:37 PM

15,598 posts, read 40,512,894 times
Quote:
Oregon has always been a source of dog entertainment when you go to town and experience pampered dogs, and their unkept and irresponsible and impractical 'parents'. Obviously a huge joke to many responsible animal owners.
I just haven't seen this in Salem. Yes, I've seen a couple of people take their toy dogs into Roth's but I'm sure there were complaints because a sign went up about only service animals allowed. I haven't seen them in the store since.

I have seen people let their dogs off-leash in a non-off leash park, but it was super early in the morning (I was walking my dog on a leash) and no one was around. Are they terrible people because they looked around and made a judgement call when no one was around? I've also seen those people quickly leash up when they see me with my dog to make sure no one is sprinting toward anyone else.

Old 12-10-2021, 07:41 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,838,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post

I have seen people let their dogs off-leash in a non-off leash park, but it was super early in the morning (I was walking my dog on a leash) and no one was around. Are they terrible people because they looked around and made a judgement call when no one was around? I've also seen those people quickly leash up when they see me with my dog to make sure no one is sprinting toward anyone else.
I've done this in Bush Park, but it's been years, and he wasn't the type of dog to approach strangers or otherwise cause a problem. Their policy was unclear at that time — supposedly, off-leash was okay as long as the dog was under voice control, but then they started posting signs to keep dogs leashed. We went out to Cascade for awhile until it started feeling unsafe.

Old 12-10-2021, 10:28 PM

441 posts, read 443,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomicdoug View Post
If a dog is a legitimate service dog then fine. BTW they have electronic blood sugar monitors today so the need to have an animal monitor blood sugar makes no sense to me.
The only way to tell an actual service animal from any other animal would be a registration/certificate which you would present to the manager if asked. However the Oregon law says the manager can't ask. Well that leaves the whole system open to abuse.
Peoples sugar can go out of whack while they sleep. I know someone that died from it. So a dog would be helpful. Sorry it slips my mind the actual medical name for it.

I am all for legitimate service animals. But I agree there are far too many "posers" and yes it does irritate me. I do see dogs quite often in Home Depot, overall they are well behaved and sometimes do get quite a few people around them.

I'm trying to decide if I want a dog. Mine died about 5 years ago and she was 14.

Old 12-11-2021, 07:31 AM

9,543 posts, read 16,564,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CARas2020 View Post
Peoples sugar can go out of whack while they sleep. I know someone that died from it. So a dog would be helpful. Sorry it slips my mind the actual medical name for it.

I am all for legitimate service animals. But I agree there are far too many "posers" and yes it does irritate me. I do see dogs quite often in Home Depot, overall they are well behaved and sometimes do get quite a few people around them.

I'm trying to decide if I want a dog. Mine died about 5 years ago and she was 14.
The Medical term for it is Hypoglycemia. It's low blood sugar. I've had it several times in my life, and it's very concerning. I've thought about those service dogs trained for the diabetic condition. Fortunately it's rare I deal with the condition. So no dog yet for me.

OP I'm sorry anyone would reply to your thread so disrespectfuly I hope that has all been sorted out,and you can now have, a proper conversation concerning your legitimate concerns.

I can understand your concerns about the dogs in businesses, both from a personal and professional viewpoint. In my years in Oregon I lived in Portland. I could not believe the dogs in the Safeway and Fred Meyers stores in NW Portland. Dogs jumping up trying to sniff the Meat and produce in the stores. Or people with dogs in the shopping carts. Dogs of all sizes and many were being brought in by all the homeless. I'd see pit bulls, german shepherds all varieties. They were definitely not service animals. Complaining did nothing. Basically it all has to do with oddball no respect for others type people. Portland is loaded with these types.

I worked for an airline before I retired and I was based out of the Portland Airport. The service dogs rules are a serious problem for airlines. I believe it's better now, but in my time I retired in 2012. We had to comply with the passengers dogs much more so, and there were incidents to say the least. Of all the airports I have been to in my years with Delta. I can honestly say more people with dogs trying to board aircraft are on the West Coast. A number of them either originating or ending their trip in Portland. We use to comment on this exact topic at work about flights to and from Oregon. What is with All the dogs in Oregon lol.

Other than the dogs being where you prefer they not be Oregon is a beautiful state. I hope you will enjoy living there.

Old 12-11-2021, 10:52 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,739,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
The Medical term for it is Hypoglycemia. It's low blood sugar. I've had it several times in my life, and it's very concerning. I've thought about those service dogs trained for the diabetic condition. Fortunately it's rare I deal with the condition. So no dog yet for me.

OP I'm sorry anyone would reply to your thread so disrespectfuly I hope that has all been sorted out,and you can now have, a proper conversation concerning your legitimate concerns.

I can understand your concerns about the dogs in businesses, both from a personal and professional viewpoint. In my years in Oregon I lived in Portland. I could not believe the dogs in the Safeway and Fred Meyers stores in NW Portland. Dogs jumping up trying to sniff the Meat and produce in the stores. Or people with dogs in the shopping carts. Dogs of all sizes and many were being brought in by all the homeless. I'd see pit bulls, german shepherds all varieties. They were definitely not service animals. Complaining did nothing. Basically it all has to do with oddball no respect for others type people. Portland is loaded with these types.

I worked for an airline before I retired and I was based out of the Portland Airport. The service dogs rules are a serious problem for airlines. I believe it's better now, but in my time I retired in 2012. We had to comply with the passengers dogs much more so, and there were incidents to say the least. Of all the airports I have been to in my years with Delta. I can honestly say more people with dogs trying to board aircraft are on the West Coast. A number of them either originating or ending their trip in Portland. We use to comment on this exact topic at work about flights to and from Oregon. What is with All the dogs in Oregon lol.

Other than the dogs being where you prefer they not be Oregon is a beautiful state. I hope you will enjoy living there.
It’s not only Portland or OR. The entitleds and crazies are everywhere, though less prevalent in some places than others. We have some dog-goes-everywhere people here in SW CO but it usually isn’t bad until the tourist season. Sometimes they might as well wear a big banner announcing they are from elsewhere, because there IS indeed a certain attitude of dog-over-all-else that I have seen in some regions much more than others. Portland, OR, and Port Townsend, WA both fall into that category. Unfortunately, unless people speak up it spreads. It’s as if nobody wants to say anything slightly negative about dogs no matter how awful the behavior.

When I saw an obviously NONservice dog in a supermarket and mentioned it to a worker, she advised me to do this: As a CUSTOMER, complain to the manager. She said management did not care if workers complained about the dog problem, only paying customers. So do it (we did).

I saw a local squatter/methhead in the supermarket one day—we knew where she was living and the long history of wrongdoings associated with her and her male cohort—and she had one of her dozen or whatever feral, unneutered/unspayed dogs sitting on the cart’s little perch near the handle. GROSS, as bad or worse than babies sitting on it.

Old 12-11-2021, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post

Oregon has a HUGE dog culture/animal culture in general. I only know a handful of people that don't have a pet ever. People without pets often had a pet, and sometimes they are between pets. Oregon regularly takes dogs from kill shelters with few resources in other states and adopts them out here. One of my dogs was from that second chance program. I think our dog culture just has to do with access to beaches and nature. I know we have one of the higher rates of pet ownership in the nation.

I think part of the dog problem, that I see anyway, is that there are a lot of lonely people. People are really disconnected from each other and there is a lot of anxiety and depression out there. Dogs fill a big emotional need for people. People think of their dogs as kids and don't want to leave them behind.

Dogs on planes needs a better solution. I don't have an answer for that other than taking out some seats and creating some "dog-friendly" planes/flights with a crate section of the plane. They could make up lost revenue for a seat by charging for crate space for dogs. I think airlines would do just fine as people that travel with their dogs on planes will pay for that space, I think.

I personally haven't seen any big dogs in stores, other than obvious service animals for blind people, but there aren't many homeless people at any of the stores that I shop at regularly. I see them in the building stores, but they also have a policy that you can bring them in. I haven't seen a poorly behaved dog in Lowes or Home Depot, myself.

The toy breeds are the biggest issue that I see.

Old 12-12-2021, 12:28 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,785 posts, read 58,251,797 times
Quote:
Oregon has a HUGE dog culture/animal culture in general. ...

I think part of the dog problem, that I see anyway, is that there are a lot of lonely people. People are really disconnected from each other and there is a lot of anxiety and depression out there. Dogs fill a big emotional need for people. People think of their dogs as kids and don't want to leave them behind.
Unfortunately, many dog owners are far less mature than a parent would be. Dogs are far more important than kids to many people in Oregon.
I personally haven't seen any big dogs in stores, other than obvious service animals for blind people,...I haven't seen a poorly behaved dog in Lowes or Home Depot, myself.

Big dog tripped up DW at HD... $20k and a new hip later... (uninsured due to $2800/mo premiums ($20k hips are cheaper than insurance, but are really tough to cover with $100/month grocery budget)
No real answer, but Oregon definately rates high in "bring your dog everywhere" culture? as does Ireland... When we lived in Spain, it was similar. People must walk in the street, as Dogs had full use of sidewalks in our rural commmunity (to poop on). Dogs were smart enough not to walk in the street (get run over). Handlers were smart (?) enough to never clean up after their dogs.

Quote:
Dogs on planes needs a better solution. I don't have an answer for that ... I think airlines would do just fine as people that travel with their dogs on planes will pay for that space, I think.
Another topic, but related to Oregon as per https://www.city-data.com/forum/62483419-post15.html

As a few times / week flier...
Loose dogs on flights WILL be the cause of people deaths when there is an emergency and a scared dog(s) acting on instinct is left with an unconscious or frantic handler. Loose dogs have no place on a airplane, jeopardizing and inconveniencing 200+ other passengers + crew and valuable aircraft. I had to fly 18hrs international flight with a ESA dog hanging on me cuz the handler / owner was a basket case. I was not impressed, and explained how thoughtless it was for passenger to drag a defense-less animal on a 18hr international flight where the animal could suffer a crash and be KILLED!. Portland flights bring me lots of fleas, that's not fun either (to pay for the privilege of dragging home someone else's fleas.) .

Seems lately that HD runs usually encounter 3-7 dogs, often older people with their yapping precious 'toy' in a cart. Or the scroungy flea ridden dog of those who choose to use 'sympathy dogs' to solicit money.

Irresponsible dog owners have no clue or even care they are making life miserable for others. (including their beloved dog). They are a risk (Dog and handler).

Too bad.

Pets (?) are the new priority and risk.

Old 12-12-2021, 01:17 PM

Quote:

As a few times / week flier...
Loose dogs on flights WILL be the cause of people deaths when there is an emergency and a scared dog(s) acting on instinct is left with an unconscious or frantic handler. Loose dogs have no place on a airplane, jeopardizing and inconveniencing 200+ other passengers + crew and valuable aircraft. I had to fly 18hrs international flight with a ESA dog hanging on me cuz the handler / owner was a basket case. I was not impressed, and explained how thoughtless it was for passenger to drag a defense-less animal on a 18hr international flight where the animal could suffer a crash and be KILLED!. Portland flights bring me lots of fleas, that's not fun either (to pay for the privilege of dragging home someone else's fleas.) .

Seems lately that HD runs usually encounter 3-7 dogs, often older people with their yapping precious 'toy' in a cart. Or the scroungy flea ridden dog of those who choose to use 'sympathy dogs' to solicit money.

Irresponsible dog owners have no clue or even care they are making life miserable for others. (including their beloved dog). They are a risk (Dog and handler).

Too bad.

Pets (?) are the new priority and risk.
I don't think dogs should be loose on a flight. That is why I was thinking crates at the back of the plane or something. Give them a mild sedative to make them mellow, put a diaper on them, and call it good.

I do see dogs in Home Depot often.

On a side note: I did have to laugh because I went to the Salem Holiday market at the fairgrounds yesterday and saw a toy dog in someone's bag at the event (who was super quiet), as well as one older couple just walking their small dog around while they looked at stuff. Jackman Long has concrete floors, but still if that dog urinates on the floors a bunch of people will step in it. I have to say I was surprised that they were let in, but they were.

It was busy in there and those dogs could have stayed in their cars with no issues since it was so cold/rainy outside. No chance of overheating. So if the people running the event aren't going to tell them no, I don't see any consequence for people bringing pets in.

Old 12-12-2021, 05:12 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,739,024 times
Quote:
I don't think dogs should be loose on a flight. That is why I was thinking crates at the back of the plane or something. Give them a mild sedative to make them mellow, put a diaper on them, and call it good.

I do see dogs in Home Depot often.

On a side note: I did have to laugh because I went to the Salem Holiday market at the fairgrounds yesterday and saw a toy dog in someone's bag at the event (who was super quiet), as well as one older couple just walking their small dog around while they looked at stuff. Jackman Long has concrete floors, but still if that dog urinates on the floors a bunch of people will step in it. I have to say I was surprised that they were let in, but they were.

It was busy in there and those dogs could have stayed in their cars with no issues since it was so cold/rainy outside. No chance of overheating. So if the people running the event aren't going to tell them no, I don't see any consequence for people bringing pets in.
I’ve been in HD when badly-behaved large dogs were inside. One of them I could immediately tell was going to jump on me (he had already done this to other strangers) and I firmly told him “No!” You would’ve thought I’d kicked the dog in its face, by the look the owner gave me. Well, guess what? Not everyone wants to adore your spoiled brat, let alone have it jump on us!

That was the same day that a large yellow puddle lay unmopped in the aisle, though I don’t know which of the dogs did it.

On the flip side, yesterday I saw a genuine service dog in the supermarket. Quiet, stayed right by its owner, calmly ignoring distractions, sporting neither a fake online-purchased garment nor a shabby rope (the hallmark of bums with “rescue” pit bulls) but a harness of the type used with Seeing Eye dogs. The behavior alone identified it as the real thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
View detailed profiles of: