Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2021, 02:42 PM

298 posts, read 341,673 times

Advertisements

What is it with the "bring your dog everywhere" culture? I understand loving dogs (I have one) but I would never take mine inside a supermarket, to Home Depot or Lowes or a lot of other public places which aren't safe or suitable for animals.
Is respect for all norms and other people's boundaries gone? Do people just feel entitled to do whatever they want? I see some women bringing toy breeds into grocery stores (in their cart), I am pretty sure health laws don't allow pets inside restaurants or food establishments.
I don't really understand bringing a dog into Lowes or Home Depot, where people go to shop, often with children and not every dog is friendly. Dogs can also get into fights with other dogs, or cause problems with service animals.
I understand outdoor dining, but even then I've seen enough instances of dogs being disruptive (barking, whining) when people are paying money to enjoy a meal outside. One friend was just walking down the street with his dog (leashed) when a dog at a restaurant sitting under a table lunged out and attacked my friend's dog and crushed its leg in its jaws.
Towns build numerous outdoor facilities with taxpayer money, especially for dogs, yet I still see people letting their dogs off leash at tennis courts, soccer fields and other public facilities that don't allow dogs. Not every field has a sign, but nearly every school and outdoor athletic facilities (baseball, football, soccer etc) have rules against dogs on their fields. For good reason!
I also see people taking dogs into playgrounds- designed for young children, where the dogs urinate in the playsand or on playground equipment meant for children.

I am not sure if there is any solution and I feel funny having to confront someone in the grocery store to tell them that there dog isn't allowed.

People also abuse "emotional support animal" it is a ruse. That is not the same as a service animal which is required by a disabled or blind person.

If you choose to have an "emotional support animal" that has to be with you at all times, then you're going to be limited where you can go. Your need to have a pet with you doesn't abrogate others rights to be pet free in stores and public facilities.

Old 12-10-2021, 03:28 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
OK, these warehouse-style home improvement stores allow dogs. How-to articles on socializing dogs often recommend taking them there as part of their training (condoning or supporting this; just saying that's how it is).

FTR, I don't take my dog too many places; he attracts too much attention. We go to the vet, the groomer, and a local off-leash park that is rarely frequented by children.

The whole service animal/emotional support animal thing makes it tough on businesses. So many people go into businesses looking for fights these days, and many of these types with Emotional Support Animals have a few serious screws loose in the first place. There are only so many questions business owners/managers/employees are allowed to ask, and anyone can claim their dog is a service dog. Many of them buy fake service dog vests online...

I own a business that produces food, so thankfully, even legit service dogs are a hard hell no, but I've had a few dingbats try to tell me otherwise.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 12-10-2021 at 04:00 PM..

Old 12-10-2021, 04:44 PM

Default Service dogs

A true service dog has to be registered as such as meet requirements.
There is a big difference between a service animal and "emotional support animal."
The large number of people trying to pass off a non-service dog as a service dog does a disservice (pardon the pun) to people with real disabilities and highly trained service dogs.

And yeah anyone can buy a vest... but a toy breed cannot be a service dog. Let's get real.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
OK, these warehouse-style home improvement stores allow dogs. How-to articles on socializing dogs often recommend taking them there as part of their training (condoning or supporting this; just saying that's how it is).

FTR, I don't take my dog too many places; he attracts too much attention. We go to the vet, the groomer, and a local off-leash park that is rarely frequented by children.

The whole service animal/emotional support animal thing makes it tough on businesses. So many people go into businesses looking for fights these days, and many of these types with Emotional Support Animals have a few serious screws loose in the first place. There are only so many questions business owners/managers/employees are allowed to ask, and anyone can claim their dog is a service dog. Many of them buy fake service dog vests online...

I own a business that produces food, so thankfully, even legit service dogs are a hard hell no, but I've had a few dingbats try to tell me otherwise.

Old 12-10-2021, 05:13 PM

Default Service dogs

[moderator edit]

And yes there are laws in Oregon that govern the use of service animals
https://oregon.public.law/statutes/ors_659a.143

IMO the laws are written in a way that allow posers to abuse the system. For example if a store or restaurant cannot ask to see documentation t hat it's a real service animal then what prevents someone from bringing in a fake service animal?

Quote:

Last edited by Rachel NewYork; 12-10-2021 at 08:31 PM.. Reason: Removed comment about bickering.

Old 12-10-2021, 05:26 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,434,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomicdoug View Post

And yeah anyone can buy a vest... but a toy breed cannot be a service dog. Let's get real.
Actually, service dogs perform many tasks not all of which are around physical disabilities. Some of the small toy breeds, because of attachment to their owners, do well for people with epilepsy and diabetes in terms of alerting them if something is about to happen.

Yes, there are those people that take their toy breeds everywhere without the need, but there are those that actually provide a service to their owner.

I don't walk up to people in stores and tell them to not have their dogs there. That isn't my responsibility and I don't know if that dog helps that person with diabetes or seizures. I've only said something once to someone with a toy dog in the grocery store. I looked over at her by the veggies and she CLEARLY did not have a service dog. She knew shouldn't have it because she looked at me and said," Why not bring him in? Other people do it too."

I just reminded her that some people are really allergic to dogs and they would like to go grocery shopping as well so minimizing dog hair inside places where people get their food is just a nice thing to do.

Old 12-10-2021, 05:29 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
Quote:
[moderator edit]

And yes there are laws in Oregon that govern the use of service animals
https://oregon.public.law/statutes/ors_659a.143

IMO the laws are written in a way that allow posers to abuse the system. For example if a store or restaurant cannot ask to see documentation t hat it's a real service animal then what prevents someone from bringing in a fake service animal?
Yeah, it's not a great situation. But they do have the right, fake service dog or not, to request that the person take the animal and leave if it behaves badly or creates a health/safety issue. With all the fakers out there, though, something's gotta give.

Last edited by Rachel NewYork; 12-10-2021 at 08:32 PM.. Reason: Removed comment about bickering

Old 12-10-2021, 05:52 PM

Default Service animals

The original post had nothing to do with Service animals BTW. Only another person decided that they wanted to pick a fight over that issue.
Trust me, the ladies taking their dog into starbucks, with their triple latte in one hand and mobile in the other, doing 5 things at once, while their luxury SUV sits idling, engine running in the no standing zone out front- their pekinese isn't a service animal.

They just feel entitled, just as they feel entitled to park illegally, or bring their dog into Kohls or other places where it's not allowed.

I am all for the ADA, but the way it was written makes it too easy to abuse and you do see now the airlines are tightening up on ESAs. It's OK to seek a special accomodation, but there need to be standards. Otherwise anyone can throw a vest on their dog and pretend it's a service dog.

The hurdle to get an ESA is very low. And while there are people who have a legitimate need for an ESA, being dependent on a pet to not feel anxiety is their choice. There are plenty of others who also have anxiety and manage it in other ways.

Quote:
Yeah, it's not a great situation. But they do have the right, fake service dog or not, to request that the person take the animal and leave if it behaves badly or creates a health/safety issue. With all the fakers out there, though, something's gotta give.

Old 12-10-2021, 05:57 PM

Default Service dogs

If a dog is a legitimate service dog then fine. BTW they have electronic blood sugar monitors today so the need to have an animal monitor blood sugar makes no sense to me.
The only way to tell an actual service animal from any other animal would be a registration/certificate which you would present to the manager if asked. However the Oregon law says the manager can't ask. Well that leaves the whole system open to abuse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Actually, service dogs perform many tasks not all of which are around physical disabilities. Some of the small toy breeds, because of attachment to their owners, do well for people with epilepsy and diabetes in terms of alerting them if something is about to happen.

Yes, there are those people that take their toy breeds everywhere without the need, but there are those that actually provide a service to their owner.

I don't walk up to people in stores and tell them to not have their dogs there. That isn't my responsibility and I don't know if that dog helps that person with diabetes or seizures. I've only said something once to someone with a toy dog in the grocery store. I looked over at her by the veggies and she CLEARLY did not have a service dog. She knew shouldn't have it because she looked at me and said," Why not bring him in? Other people do it too."

I just reminded her that some people are really allergic to dogs and they would like to go grocery shopping as well so minimizing dog hair inside places where people get their food is just a nice thing to do.

Old 12-10-2021, 06:35 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,434,848 times
Quote:
If a dog is a legitimate service dog then fine. BTW they have electronic blood sugar monitors today so the need to have an animal monitor blood sugar makes no sense to me.
The only way to tell an actual service animal from any other animal would be a registration/certificate which you would present to the manager if asked. However the Oregon law says the manager can't ask. Well that leaves the whole system open to abuse.
What business owners and landlords are allowed to ask is "What task is the service animal trained to do for you?"

There is no such thing as a certificate and based on how many people are creating fake vaccine cards, I think it is highly likely a certificate will solve the issue. Business owners just need to ask people what their dog is trained to do, then ask them to leave if they have a poorly behaving animal. It will solve the problem.

Yes, I am aware that they have electronic blood sugar monitors. I am not diabetic nor epileptic so I leave those monitoring decisions up to the professionals that tend to their patients.

If you have a problem complain to the business or write them a negative review about how they allow non-service animals in their business. Leave negative reviews and you will see things change.

Last edited by Silverfall; 12-10-2021 at 07:33 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 12-10-2021, 07:01 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
What is it with the "bring your dog everywhere" culture? ...
It's Oregon, your behavior (or you pet's) does not need to be rational or respectful.

Is respect for all norms and other people's boundaries gone? Do people just feel entitled to do whatever they want? ..). Yes, it's an entitlement generation out there
I am not sure if there is any solution and I feel funny having to confront someone in the grocery store to tell them that there dog isn't allowed.
PDX news station did a mobile camera story following dogs in Portland grocery stores... i.e. do not buy an item from end-cap of aisle if placed below 3ft!

ESA? I can't count the number of times I have gotten fleas on a inbound PDX flight, sometime 3x / week
Gotta get used to the fact dogs are far more important than people! ((60+ yr owner of working farm dogs, who have no desire to go to Home Depot or a grocery store, or get stuck in a people car or people house. And... NEVER has any of my farm dogs pooped in a yard or anywhere people (or animals) hang out.

Landlord too... So I get to deal with demanding tenants who think they can arrive with an animal,. And. $x,xxx,xxx lawsuits where a tenant's unauthorized friendly animal puts the mailman in the hospital.

Oregon has always been a source of dog entertainment when you go to town and experience pampered dogs, and their unkept and irresponsible and impractical 'parents'. Obviously a huge joke to many responsible animal owners.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 12-10-2021 at 07:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
View detailed profiles of: