Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2023, 06:49 PM

827 posts, read 585,833 times

Advertisements

Okay, I'll play Devil's Advocate.

On the surface, it sounds like a lunatic idea. Guaranteed minimum income? "Why should I work so them people can stay home and collect money for nothing" is a common refrain among taxpayers. Understandably.

But.

With so many jobs being done by AI (artificial intelligence) these days, how long before your job, your neighbor's job or your spouse's job goes by the wayside? AI is taking over the job market in this country. It might not be something that will happen tomorrow but if we continue at this rate, a GMI may become a reality someday out of necessity.

Food for thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2023, 10:22 PM

15,427 posts, read 9,107,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNooYawk2 View Post
Okay, I'll play Devil's Advocate.

On the surface, it sounds like a lunatic idea. Guaranteed minimum income? "Why should I work so them people can stay home and collect money for nothing" is a common refrain among taxpayers. Understandably.

But.

With so many jobs being done by AI (artificial intelligence) these days, how long before your job, your neighbor's job or your spouse's job goes by the wayside? AI is taking over the job market in this country. It might not be something that will happen tomorrow but if we continue at this rate, a GMI may become a reality someday out of necessity.

Food for thought.
Just hope your job is not the next to go, or you will be needing some guaranteed minimum income. But yeah it is all part of the plan to put all of the wealth in the hands of 1% of the population.

Old 05-30-2023, 02:45 AM

374 posts, read 259,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Just hope your job is not the next to go, or you will be needing some guaranteed minimum income. But yeah it is all part of the plan to put all of the wealth in the hands of 1% of the population.

The greater question is why should we be upset at those being paid a menial income for not working, while we are working in a company with employees making hundreds of times more than we are? That seems conspicuous, in itself.

Old 05-30-2023, 09:02 AM

2,664 posts, read 3,863,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrampage View Post
The greater question is why should we be upset at those being paid a menial income for not working, while we are working in a company with employees making hundreds of times more than we are? That seems conspicuous, in itself.

Easy answer - the other employees are earning their money via some sort of profit inducing behavior that benefits company enough to warrant the company seeing them as "worth it". Good for them for making whatever it is they make.

That is between them and the company. I (We) should not care at all about them. We should be caring about what we can do to improve our value to the company and thus make commensurate. Or better yet - figure out a better way to do things and start our own company.

OTOH, the hobo/vagabond stealing tax money to "not work" is a cancer on society that the productive tax paying citizen should in no way have to pay for or subsidize as this behavior weakens society in the long run.

There ya go - easy isn't it?

Old 05-30-2023, 11:36 AM

32,668 posts, read 48,116,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNooYawk2 View Post
........With so many jobs being done by AI (artificial intelligence) these days, how long before your job, your neighbor's job or your spouse's job goes by the wayside? AI is taking over the job market in this country. ........
When AI is earning all the money to pay the universal income, I'll be happy to see it. In the meantime, that universal income is coming out of my pocket, earned by my hours of work, and I am not happy about working to support those who sit home playing video games and refused to learn anything while they were receiving free education.

Old 05-30-2023, 01:05 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,770,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrampage View Post
The greater question is why should we be upset at those being paid a menial income for not working, while we are working in a company with employees making hundreds of times more than we are?
We are?

Old 05-30-2023, 04:34 PM

20,155 posts, read 9,049,040 times
"pay them and they will come."

Highly recommend UI for Oregon.

Old 05-31-2023, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
Easy answer - the other employees are earning their money via some sort of profit inducing behavior that benefits company enough to warrant the company seeing them as "worth it". Good for them for making whatever it is they make.

That is between them and the company. I (We) should not care at all about them. We should be caring about what we can do to improve our value to the company and thus make commensurate. Or better yet - figure out a better way to do things and start our own company.

OTOH, the hobo/vagabond stealing tax money to "not work" is a cancer on society that the productive tax paying citizen should in no way have to pay for or subsidize as this behavior weakens society in the long run.

No, not easy at all. Unless, you seem to see no way out of terrible situations or are benefiting from them.

Old 05-31-2023, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
We are?

Well, maybe only 20 times more where you work lol.

Old 05-31-2023, 06:38 AM

2,453 posts, read 1,691,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post

Couldn't agree more with the bold part. Let them starve and die a slow horrible death without any medical care. I honestly can't understand the love these completely worthless people get on here from several posters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
View detailed profiles of: