Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 05:07 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,469,564 times

Advertisements

The Wallowas - it is one of the most beautiful "undiscovered areas" in the state
Joseph - cute town, view of the moutains, decent snow, pleasant weather
Sumpter - a little too remote perhaps, but beautiful countryside
Hood River - Mosier, Arlington; anything along the Gorge with the HR views
Neskowin - calm, beautiful, quiet, small, very relaxing
Brookings - more sunshine, vlear gorgeous views of the ocean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2010, 01:22 AM

50 posts, read 135,194 times
After a quick google street view to remind of some of the places, I have decided:

Gresham: It's a mid-size Portland suburb, but after driving through it quite a bit on our way to Portland, I found it kinda nice.

Pendleton: I love the downtown area. Plus I think Eastern Oregon is really cool with the small towns surrounded by natural beauty and agriculture land.

La Grande: This is probably my favorite. Once I saw the streets lined with nice little houses and huge trees with all the golden leaves (I'm assuming the street view was during fall) I fell in love with La Grande.

Redmond: I like how it's expanded a lot over the years but it still maintains that small town feel. I like the downtown also. It's not as busy as Bend's downtown, but I feel like it's got a lot more of a historical feel.

McMinneville: I love that downtown area also. Plus it's got a Ranch Records

Silverton: I liked the compact feel of their downtown and the creek seperating the city into two parts. But it looks really cloudy and dreary over there.

Depoe Bay: I have always loved Depoe Bay. The small little shops along the highway. But the thing with Depoe Bay is once the highway enters the town, it doesn't feel like the whole town is one big strip. It blends into the town really nicely. Also I like the bridge and the little harbor.

Lincoln City: The thing I don't like about Lincoln City is that it doesn't really have a designated downtown. It kind of seems like the highway just rips right through the middle of the city. But I think the whole area around Mo's looks like the downtown area. It's got the median with the plants and nice little shops along the road. I think Lincoln City is one of the better larger towns on the coast.

Old 01-30-2010, 04:05 AM

17 posts, read 54,392 times
I prefer small or remote places:
A cabin in some of these places would be heaven!

City: Portland or Eugene

The Coast: Spent much of my life on the coast and Depoe Bay, Otter Rock and Seal Rock are my favorite coast towns. Waldport, the beach house is there. San Marine has always intrigued me.Further North: Arch Cape, Cannon Beach and Cape Meares. South: Port Orford, Gold Beach and Wedderburn!!

NWest: I really like Mist and Jewell, Necanicum as well but not much there anymore. Scappoose or Clatskanie for "city" life.

SWest: I like Pistol River and Carpenterville. Cave Junction and Takilma as well.

Central: I like Warm Springs and Simnasho . I also like Wapinitia (friend lives there). Down south more Metolius, Terrebone, Sisters and Sunriver. Plus Shaniko and Antelope because of the history.

South Central: Christmas Valley. Desolate Wagontire would be interesting and so would Alkali Lake.

Gorge: Bridal Veil and Cascade Locks. Favorite spots along the river.

NEast: Wallowa and Imnaha are hidden treasures, Promise is like going back in time.

Mt.Hood: Anywhere from Rhododendron and Zigzag to Government Camp

Lane Co: Mapleton, Deadwood, Swisshome and Brickerville areas. I like to go crawdadding around there and I have family there too.

Union Co: Always loved this area, Hot Lake and Island City near La Grande.
Further out in the boonies Summerville, Pondosa and Medical Springs.

Wheeler Co. Fossil because it's amazing and Twickenham because Sutton Mtn.

Hells Canyon: This area is amazing. I could live in Halfway, Oxbow, Homestead or even further west toward Cornucopia. Wouldn't matter, best price would win!

Lonerock: ok maybe not its kinda creepy

Old 02-01-2010, 12:44 AM

10 posts, read 29,798 times
Ive lived in Myrtle Creek, Myrtle Point, Bridge, Coos Bay, Boardman, Umatilla, La Grande, and Union. Ive traveled all over the state.
Hands down I would love to live near the head waters of the Umpqua River.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:51 AM

36 posts, read 44,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
This is an old thread but still relevant for many of us. ... As far as I could determine there is only one area and we anticipate retiring there. If that does not work out then I guess we look at New Mexico or another western State.
Where is that one area ?

Old 03-01-2010, 11:36 AM

963 posts, read 3,032,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Felina View Post
Brookings - more sunshine, vlear gorgeous views of the ocean.
Huh? More sunshine than where? Brookings, on average, has 236 overcast days a year.

Old 03-01-2010, 01:13 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,109,848 times
Gumster, as I mentioned, healthcare moves up in importance as I reach retirement age and think ahead. That leaves the major cities, Portland, Eugene, Salem, all are in the rainbelt. The only other areas with major hospitals are Bend and Medford. Hospitals in both of those communities are highly rated. Bend is too cold for me.

Old 03-02-2010, 03:02 AM

2,316 posts, read 7,818,862 times
I can't even narrow it down.

I prefer the rural areas not many people have ever heard of.
Galice
Takilma
Elkton
Wolf Creek
Bridge
Myrtle Point
Trail
Prospect
Wimer
Lakeview
Cave Junction
Powers
Cascade Locks

But coastal towns are nice too.
Port Orford
Florence
Bandon
Astoria
Seaside
Oceanside
Arch Cape
Rockaway Beach
Gardiner

But larger towns and cities inland can be nice.
Eugene
Grants Pass
Silverton
Sheridan
Coquille
Hood River
Monmouth/Independence
Salem

Various hoods of Portland are great too.
Irvington
Laurelhurst
Alberta
Alameda
Sellwood
St. Johns
West Hills
Multnomah
Goose Hollow
Burlingame
Eastmoreland
Mt. Tabor
And last, but not least, my current home in Woodstock

Old 06-18-2010, 01:55 PM

739 posts, read 1,847,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Oregonbeachlover: I think my wife might agree with you. I am probably most concerned about healthcare, but I would also be worried about being bored. Normally I have the patience for about 1 hour at a normal sandy beach. I felt rushed with only 5 days on the Oregon coast.
Jrkl, have you checked out Ashland, OR? It's a couple of hours from the coast and is a lovely town. It is famous for the Shakespeare Festival and there is lots of shopping in Medford, along with some good medical center, doctors and other health facilities.

Old 06-18-2010, 06:47 PM

741 posts, read 1,379,426 times
Oh, I like engaging in one of my favorite fastasy sessions and that is where I would live in Oregon.

I don't want to live big, busy, or sun-blasted. I want to adjust to the coast way of life. My choice would be the central coast.

Now, I have lived in wind, and that is not my favorite thing, so I am hoping that the central coast would not be as windy as the north and not as sunny as the south. Lincoln City, Road's End, Depoe Bay- you would not have to twist my arm!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon