Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 07:59 PM

27 posts, read 81,165 times

Advertisements

I live in the mid-Willamette Valley. I love it here because I'm close to everything you all mentioned. It's just an hour or so away from the coast, the mountains, a tad bit longer to the high desert. The town I'm in is about 13000 pop. We're building a nursing school, and a veterans home. There's land around that's good for farming. The strawberries are the best and very good this year in spite of the rain. The winters are mild the summers are great. I wish there was more sunshine, but if you want sunshine go to Arizona. I'll take an Oregon summer over an Arizona summer any day!! You can find anything you want in the Willamette Valley from small towns like Brownsville, Sweet Home, Lacomb, and Lebanon; to big Cities like Eugene, Corvallis, Salem, and Portland.

Hands down for me is the mid-Willamette Valley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 08:33 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,050,869 times
I think if this thread tells you anything, it's that there's a shangrila for everyone somewhere within Oregon's borders. It's an awesome state. I think I could plunk myself down just about anywhere in Oregon and be happy. The thing I like about living in Oregon (we're in Eugene and very happy, but we plan to move to the coast when the kids are through with school) is that no matter where you are, you're a short drive away from getting away from it all. Not that where you are is very bad. The low population density in Oregon and the great number of parks and open spaces ensures that you never feel "cooped up" for very long. It's just a beautiful state. There's something very special and magical here that we've not had in the other states or countries I or my husband have ever lived in.

We haven't decided on where along the coast we want to relocate to when the time comes. We love all of it. We'll probably live in or near one of the larger towns along the coast... we actually do like Florence. We spend quite a bit of time in Old Town Florence and consider ourselves regular customers of a few shops there. When you walk in a coffee shop and people know your name it feels like home.

Old 06-29-2010, 08:45 AM

1,082 posts, read 4,718,462 times
LOL. To each his own. I live on the front range and would love to escape the traffic, beating sun in the summer and freezing cold in the winter. The view of the mtns is nice but unless you can go mid-day, midweek, the traffic is downright dangerous going up I-70 and bumper to bumper on the two lanes...There are smaller places that are nicer in Colorado if you don't need much of a job. All in all, it's the Oregon coast climate that appeals to me, and the ocean of course.

Old 06-29-2010, 10:13 AM

4,468 posts, read 8,005,078 times
After being in NM for 5 years we miss the NW and are heading to the Corvallis area.
House is on the market and we are making a exploratory trip in August to see the area and visit the Norweign Festival in Junction City.
My cousin lives out of cottage Grove and loves it.
Rain, no problem, we lived in the Seattle area for 25 years..miss the water etc.
HW and Suninhair

Old 08-15-2010, 12:18 PM

16 posts, read 99,166 times
Too bad news has spread about Oregon. It used to be you could drive anywhere and not be tailgated nor feel like you are in a hustle and bustle like it is now. I work mostly on ranches and farms and live out in the boondocks in Oregon so I notice the changes from yr. to yr. It's just to bad

Young people... why don't you back off a little, take it easy and not be in such a hurry. Enjoy Oregon while it's still here. In just a few short years it will be changing more.

Old 08-15-2010, 10:09 PM

162 posts, read 177,409 times
I prefer Salem or Eugene. Good size cities with everything you need but not too crowded.

Old 08-15-2010, 10:22 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,763,920 times
I like the corners. Ashland and La Grande.

Old 08-16-2010, 07:01 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,191,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
I like the corners. Ashland and La Grande.

I prefer the further corners--Gold Beach and Wallowa/Enterprise/Troy

Old 08-16-2010, 01:11 PM

24 posts, read 54,418 times
We plan to buy a house in the Portland area, or nearby. Our first introduction to Oregon was our church's General Assembly, held in Portland back in 2007. We love Oregon as a whole but our hearts lie in Portland. Living in Glendale right now, moving to Roseburg in about two weeks. We will be in Portland within two years if our plan works. Fingers crossed!

We tell everyone back home in Mississippi, Louisiana and Florida that we moved to paradise!

Old 10-18-2010, 09:38 AM

6 posts, read 17,614 times
Default VA Hosp...In Roseburg

Of special note is the great VA Facility that I have been told is one of the best in the nation located in Roseburg. This could be a great benefit to those that are in need of VA services....important to know about as folks consider a move and most especially important to know during these times for our many returning military members -- as well as those established Vets who need good care within a smaller community!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon